RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
LightsOut

John Allen

A very simple yes or no vote would you..  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you employ John Allen in your Company following a restructuring given his past results as a CEO. It astounds me that he is on a working group with RITA given his nil results as CEO and knowledge of the racing Industry and the drivel that he sold the new betting platform top the Industry which was never going to do what he said. Overseas in any Company given his results shareholders would be demanding his sacking.

• No July 1st I would have sacked him
    • Yes he will add valuable insight, experience and knowledge to assist RITA to revitalise the Racing Industry

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/26/2019 at 05:33 PM

Would you vote yes or no to employing John  Allen if you owned a Company given his past results as a CEO of it and you were restructuring the Company. I am astounded that John Allen remains involved in the Industry given his negative results and wastage of Industry funds. Any other Company in the world would have had shareholders demand his sacking. RITA has under performed in just 3 weeks by allowing John Allen to be part of a working party to revitalise the Industry.   It's a comedy show.

I'll just reiterate this one more time...and that is that for thelast 20yrs...we've been run by Globalists through the corporate channels..the last 10 yrs has been rampant management by Crisis..and Allen is working To those ends.,...posing as a leader with all his buffoonery and bluster  on a series of promises that he still chooses to enact.

NZ Racing has been given a death sentence all the while we are expected to 'stomach' what we're told is best for us..including the smashing of the T.A.B. interfces for betting..and the withdrawl of free to air TRACKSIDE.

RITA will be the final hurrah as they impliment there closure agenda

1 hour ago, LightsOut said:

Would you vote yes or no to employing John  Allen if you owned a Company given his past results as a CEO of it and you were restructuring the Company. I am astounded that John Allen remains involved in the Industry given his negative results and wastage of Industry funds. Any other Company in the world would have had shareholders demand his sacking. RITA has under performed in just 3 weeks by allowing John Allen to be part of a working party to revitalise the Industry.   It's a comedy show.

Lights out , what you must come to terms with the undeniable fact that racing has been in decline for at least 30 years , probably longer . plenty have tried to turn things around without success .

The world has changed , young people aren't interested in racing but nothing special about racing , many sports are struggling to maintain their former levels of support . The Brits won the world cup and they are hoping this victory will revitalise the game in the UK , support for cricket has collapsed in the UK.

The point is why demonise someone for performing no worse than his predecessors and POSSIBLY , just possibly much better . The jury is out on the former RBs strategy , the punting results on the world cricket cup were spectacular and if this is a pointer of things to come then in time racing will turn around and if that happens then Allen is here to stay .

I suggest you sit back relax and forget what seems to be a personal dislike of the man , results in  time will judge him , you must admit RITA were quite happy to retain his services , are you suggesting RITA are complete fools and for the record Allen CHAIRS the working party .

Your question should be asked in 12 months time , then a judgment may be possible .

2 hours ago, LightsOut said:

Perhaps they have hired him to fetch the coffee.

52 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Lights out , what you must come to terms with the undeniable fact that racing has been in decline for at least 30 years , probably longer . plenty have tried to turn things around without success .

The world has changed , young people aren't interested in racing but nothing special about racing , many sports are struggling to maintain their former levels of support . The Brits won the world cup and they are hoping this victory will revitalise the game in the UK , support for cricket has collapsed in the UK.

The point is why demonise someone for performing no worse than his predecessors and POSSIBLY , just possibly much better . The jury is out on the former RBs strategy , the punting results on the world cricket cup were spectacular and if this is a pointer of things to come then in time racing will turn around and if that happens then Allen is here to stay .

I suggest you sit back relax and forget what seems to be a personal dislike of the man , results in  time will judge him , you must admit RITA were quite happy to retain his services , are you suggesting RITA are complete fools and for the record Allen CHAIRS the working party .

Your question should be asked in 12 months time , then a judgment may be possible .

You make many good points. I don't know Allen at all so I have no idea how competent he is or isn't. He speaks well enough, although probably without great substance. I certainly don't hold him personally responsible for all of the industry's problems. From my experience though I can't recall a single non racing person over the years who has ever come in and made a positive contribution to the industry; that includes anyone in management or at board level. All good in theory to bring in someone with a fresh set of eyes, but in the case of Racing it has never worked.

John Allen sold to the Industry a supposed investment costing tens of millions plus tens of millions more to run that has failed to deliver in every area he said it would. The biggest expenditure ever in the history of the TAB or NZRB. One thing that has changed over past 30 years is the quality of CEO's who have run the TAB or NZRB it continued to deteriorate as proven with the last one. Personally I don't hate John Allen as a person but as a CEO of a huge National Organisation I don't and have never rated him. He never improved knowledge wise in his term as CEO which is a huge worry and  if anything he actually seemed to become more confused. I am sure he would be good running a fruit shop but a gambling organisation that has an Industry reliant on strong leadership with sound knowledge and experience of the Industry he has and never did have anything to offer.

As for sit back and watch next 12 months as time will judge him, $%#^ me how much time do you need to access his ability. Time is not something the Racing Industry has on its side, time has run out. They got lucky on the Cricket result which means nothing %$^ John Allen did nothing to create the result.    

Bottom line is the guy should have been shown the door July 1s> We can agree to disagree but there wouldn't be many people outside the NZRB that are involved in the Racing Industry that would want John Allen to run a Company if they owned one.

The good news is that John Allen actually agrees with me even if you don't as he has publically stated that he is a serial failure in his working life. Admission to any personal failings is the first road to attempting to improve yourself so I give him credit there.   

3 minutes ago, LightsOut said:

John Allen sold to the Industry a supposed investment costing tens of millions plus tens of millions more to run that has failed to deliver in every area he said it would. The biggest expenditure ever in the history of the TAB or NZRB. One thing that has changed over past 30 years is the quality of CEO's who have run the TAB or NZRB it continued to deteriorate as proven with the last one. Personally I don't hate John Allen as a person but as a CEO of a huge National Organisation I don't and have never rated him. He never improved knowledge wise in his term as CEO which is a huge worry and  if anything he actually seemed to become more confused. I am sure he would be good running a fruit shop but a gambling organisation that has an Industry reliant on strong leadership with sound knowledge and experience of the Industry he has and never did have anything to offer.

As for sit back and watch next 12 months as time will judge him, $%#^ me how much time do you need to access his ability. Time is not something the Racing Industry has on its side, time has run out. They got lucky on the Cricket result which means nothing %$^ John Allen did nothing to create the result.    

Bottom line is the guy should have been shown the door July 1s> We can agree to disagree but there wouldn't be many people outside the NZRB that are involved in the Racing Industry that would want John Allen to run a Company if they owned one.

The good news is that John Allen actually agrees with me even if you don't as he has publically stated that he is a serial failure in his working life. Admission to any personal failings is the first road to attempting to improve yourself so I give him credit there.   

so which CEO in thelast 30 years do you approve of?

A gravy train ,then and now.

As I have mentioned before, it is quite strange how the TAB now seems to be running the whole industry. 30 odd years ago the TAB was purely a service organisation that basically did as it was told. Quite weird how things have turned out. Back in the day no one would have expected the CEO of the TAB to know much at all about actual racing.

John Allen displays the classic symptoms of the effects from a swindle. John Allen didn't organize the fraud but through his lack of understanding allowed the big con to take place.

So now he is in denial. It happens so often. Those who have been conned don't want to admit they were careless. They start fishing for straws and try to bring up even the tiniest piece of good news. Its a pity those around him aren't much better and just keep accepting his b.s. Thats probably the  reason he is still there.

Its a

19 hours ago, LightsOut said:

Lights they should have taken  the  same stance as Boris and get rid of the people who have caused this shambles .The TAB web site should have been the final straw.Instead they keep them and even give them promotion.I dont follow Greyhounds but can imagine they would have top people who could take over running the Greyhounds .I bet some of them will be p### off with big Glenda taking over .How is that allowed to happen?A lot of you would have owned or managed business and Im sure when you need to get to change management because things are going bad you remove them even if there is a cost involved.RITA should have done that but some of them being from the old school have kept there buddies on or maybe they did not have the power to do that.Also the first thingthe should have done was bring back freeview [Aussie realised that years ago].But no they have come up with a you beaut deal with Spark we can see were thats going when they pull out of Sky they will tell us about how good this Spark deal is for us ,I must go Ive got a headache.

5 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

Its a

Lights they should have taken  the  same stance as Boris and get rid of the people who have caused this shambles .The TAB web site should have been the final straw.Instead they keep them and even give them promotion.I dont follow Greyhounds but can imagine they would have top people who could take over running the Greyhounds .I bet some of them will be p### off with big Glenda taking over .How is that allowed to happen?A lot of you would have owned or managed business and Im sure when you need to get to change management because things are going bad you remove them even if there is a cost involved.RITA should have done that but some of them being from the old school have kept there buddies on or maybe they did not have the power to do that.Also the first thingthe should have done was bring back freeview [Aussie realised that years ago].But no they have come up with a you beaut deal with Spark we can see were thats going when they pull out of Sky they will tell us about how good this Spark deal is for us ,I must go Ive got a headache.

Funny you mention this...Sky is offering a new Sports package from the 1st August (ironically). Look how important Racing is in their line up! :rolleyes:

image.thumb.png.d6fe2b83f86e2e18d2433851340e08bf.png

Current Sky Sport Offerings! :rolleyes:
image.thumb.png.90cfcfa5b1fbfa2cca0ff595013c91d7.png

There is of course a very inconvenient truth to why the status quo remains.  Quite simply, RITA has no plan and certainly no implementation plan.  So not only does RITA need to develop a plan - and the plan to implement it - it also needs to take care of BAU.  In that light, it makes sense to keep someone like Allen to keep BAU going while they develop a plan.

As others may have alluded to, I'd be surprised if he wasn't dusting off his CV so it could prove to be a way to avoid any exit package.

Boss Hogg yes I am sure there will many involved in the NZGR who shook their heads with utter disbelief especially after Hughes parting e-mail which in part included the deluded statement "’I am immensely proud the Board is leaving the NZRB in a much stronger position than we inherited". 

In layman's terms that's called taking the piss which doesn't surprise given who said it. The departed CEO from the NZ Greyhound Association was on the NZRB Board prior to his appointment so obviously had and has strong ties with Glenda Hughes. It was obviously that relationship has resulted in her interim CEO role at the NZ Greyhound Association as her  experience, knowledge and ability to run a National Organisation is very questionable.

Flockofewew2 I don't disagree that the gravy train just kept getting carriages added to it over the past 30 years. The gravy train just kept going while the Industry slowly derailed. As to who I would approve of over the past 30 years I couldn't actually make a call as none of them has really stood out as dynamic and had  the right charisma to lead the organisation.  

Alfred E Neuman could have shown much of the past CEO's up ability wise  which is scary.

image.jpeg.de543ac9728d9b7449909219b87ce77a.jpeg

HISTORY NEVER REPEATS - SPLIT ENZ

Trackside Television Blues

1 Dec 2014

Trackside-Logo.jpg

David Ellis comments:

I am just shell shocked at the moment with the way Trackside is promoting our business. On Saturday morning I made sure that all of the farm work and the horse work was completed so that I could come in and watch the first race at Ellerslie and what do I get?

I get the Geraldine trots from the Orari Racecourse so I switched to the other channel that had a blank that said an Australian racing programme will start at 2.00pm.

On Weigh In last Monday evening Butch Castles and Paul Shailer discussed Trackside One and Two and the way they are being used. They then had Michael Dore from the TAB trying to justify the most stupid system imaginable.

Surely the TAB knows by now that practically every hotel in New Zealand only has one channel it will show for a Trackside programme (if indeed it shows any Trackside – another bugbear of ours which the marketing people at the Racing Board should get on to).

So wouldn’t it be a far better exercise on a Saturday to have two or three galloping meetings on one channel from go to woah, and on the other channel have the trots?

As I have said on countless occasions I really enjoy watching quality harness racing and have many friends in the harness code but I have absolutely no interest in watching the Geraldine trots on a Saturday when I could be watching racing at Ellerslie.

Surely it’s a bit like rugby – most people I know are either interested in watching rugby union, rugby league or soccer. I am a rugby union man but yet still really enjoyed watching the Kiwi team beat the Australian rugby league team a few weeks ago.  However I don’t want to watch it all the time and it is the same with everyone I know with Trackside.

The TAB is pushing greyhounds and the harness code down our throats and if the TAB wants to take racing to another level it’s high time it woke up to this. There are many advantages to having galloping on one channel, it could promote betting at Ellerslie and Wanganui in greater depth by interviewing really good form analysts all of whom are at Ellerslie and Wanganui. Then on the trotting channel it could spend time going into each horse in detail and giving the harness code a far better bang for its buck.

Lets hope that John Allen, the new Chief Executive who joins the Racing Board next year from heading up MFAT (the  Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and who is a previous CEO of NZ Post) can see the stupidity of Trackside 1 and Trackside 2 and fix this ridiculous situation. :rolleyes:

The other day I was staying in a hotel with Karyn in Auckland and I spent an hour talking the hotel into putting Trackside 1 on its television. No sooner have the hotel done that than the galloping programme for that venue had been switched to Trackside 2 it’s just so ridiculous and needs urgent action.

Daveski yes BAU except from July 1st  you wouldn't be employing anyone new to a position not required within the NZRB when RITA are looking at restructuring the organisation and also looking at possible outsourcing of its operations (John Allen is on a working group so he is well aware of this) . It couldn't happen could it ??  yeah right don't you believe it.   

Flock your right I think they should have our gallops and Sydney and Melbourne on one channel and the rest on two.I am surprised Racing . com hasnt got a channel with Sky.Because Trackside still hasn't figured out times between races and we have to endure Sweeeeeny and his new best buddy giggling T Lee the cramming to the next race runs out of time .BAZ the Sky format for sport does not include Trackside it never has, Trackside is in there starter pack with a you beaut deal for $18 a month.I think Trackside could give Sky the flick anytime .I"m only a dumb punter I"ve been to most race tracks in NZ and been[ escorted off a few ]but thats another story and a many Aussie tracks but think Trackside could end up with Spark and ordinary punters will be gone ,cheers