RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Pegasus 9

SUBZERO

Melbourne Cup winner Subzero has fought off a bout of colic but remains seriously ill.

The 1992 Cup winner has been transferred to the Bendigo Equine Hospital as vets deal with a kidney problem.

Subzero was trained by Lee Freedman but has been in the care of Graham Salisbury since his racing retirement, firstly a clerk of the course mount and in his later years for racing promotions.

Salisbury said Subzero fell ill with colic on Sunday and had recovered but now his kidneys are a major concern.

"He's over the colic alright but his kidneys are not real flash," Salisbury told RSN927.

"I've got to take him in and keep him on a drip to keep his kidneys flushed."

Salisbury, who is battling cancer, said Subzero underwent the same problem around three years ago.

Subzero turns 31 next week and Salisbury said it could take seven to 10 days to recover from the kidney complaint.

He said Subzero was off his feed and in some pain.

"He's a strong old horse and he's got a great will to win all the time," Salisbury said.

"He beat the colic, now he's got to beat the kidney problem like he has before.

"Fingers crossed he can do it again."

11 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

He's a tough old bugger so let's hope he pulls through. Done well to get to 31....

Sad to hear Mighty Boss has died due to colic. 

IMG_4059.JPG

Beautiful looking horse. Very sad news and also the loss of Sea of Class. 

With so much interested care and thoughts for Subbie, the latest from Graham.

So Subbie is at Victorian Equine Group and will remain there for 3 days for treatment to his kidneys after dehydration brought on from battling colic over the weekend.

"He is in great hands with Sarah and Mike, they wanted him in there this morning after looking at his blood tests so when they said that I was on the road, whatever he needs and he wants he gets."

"They know him inside and out and they now seem pretty happy with him considering what he has been through. He has kidney problems since his racing days, so one has been carrying the load for the other basically all his life, so he was flushed out this morning and is under treatment in a box for the next few days."

"So hopefully after 3 days, all flushed out, it will be like a brand new kidney and we can get him home and he'll be right. As they said 'knowing him, knowing you, he will be right but they said remember he is still in the woods right now."

"Considering we thought they were coming back to put him down on Sunday, if they had to operate he wouldn't have survived - you have to think what an old marvel he is, I wish I was as good as him."

"As (vet) Sarah (Jalim) said - 'if you were in a war, you'd want him on your side'."

Or as Graham told me: "If it wasn't for Subbie there would be no me, and if it wasn't for me there would be no Subbie."

Melbourne Cup winner and Australian racing's great servant Subzero continues to be in a fight for life, with the coming days crucial.

The 1992 Melbourne Cup winner remains hospitalised in Bendigo, not far from where he resides with his great mate Graham Salisbury.

The Victorian Equine Group provided this update on the 30-year-old on Facebook on Thursday night.

"Subzero is continuing to receive treatment at the Bendigo Equine Hospital," the update read.

"He is being treated with continuous intravenous fluids and medications to address problems with the function of his kidneys. Subzero is responding well to our treatment and his kidney function has improved today [Thursday].

"Today, he has also been diagnosed with peritonitis; an infection of his abdominal cavity which is likely associated with his episode of colic last Sunday. Subzero is being treated with intravenous antibiotics and treatment of his abdomen. 

"Subzero's response to treatment over the next 24-48 hours will be important. At present, although he has a lot to contend with, he is comfortable and trying hard. 

"We all remain optimistic, and will ensure he receives the best of care and medical management to nurse him back to health."

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

He's still fighting, what a will to live he has. We're all praying for you Subbie.....:rcf-sad:.

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/subzero-battling-another-ailment--a-lot-to-contend-with-20190726

That's one tough tough old horse.Good on the  people looking after him so well for so many years .

Subbie Update

Nikki Salisbury

Hi everyone,
A little about today’s visit.
Once again Subbie lit up when we went in to see him before we even got to his stable.
He was again his bright, perky self and was very content.
Soon after we arrived a truly lovely couple arrived to pick their pony up and they brought Subbie a bag of treats which was so kind of them and Subbie was very grateful. They gave him a cuddle and a pat and then went to get their pony sorted. Earlier in the morning Dr Sarah opened up the feed bin door for him as she knows that (like at home) he loves to have a full view of everything going on.
So this lovely couple had sorted their pony out and had to walk past Subbie’s stable to get him out. Well all 8-9hh (at a guess) of this divine little pony had to meet and greet Subbie. Now, Subbie has never been a huge fan of ponies, we don’t know why, but he would either totally ignore them or get stirred up and very annoyed about them. So to our surprise as soon as he saw little “Neddie” his head was so far out his little “peep hole” and he was soo excited. They were even touching noses and giving kisses at one stage. This pony could have fit well under Subbie and Subbie just loved him. He had a snort/blow first (likely Subbie saying “hey buddy, I am the boss here”). You would not have guessed quite how unwell he has been/was.
He had cuddles with Mum, Dad and I again. Tried to sit on dad’s lap nearly . He covered my head to toe in feed but preferred to eat it straight off the blanket on my lap than to eat it out of the bucket . But I got to have cuddles and kisses with him which always makes me feel better when I am not well and in pain.
His bloods came in while we were there and some levels were the same as yesterday (which is still good) and one of the other markers that is a sign of the Peritonitis had actually improved. When they scanned him this morning, the infected fluid had not come back to anywhere near what it was the day before.
We are so grateful to the whole team from the amazing vets to the vet nurses to the rest of the staff including the wonderful people in the office who have been taking the incredibly kind wishes from people who have dropped in with cards and treats and beautifully kind words and prayers. It’s amazing and we are so grateful to all of you for your support. Subbie loves you all as his extended family and he knows about all your beautiful words and prayers. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
I have also added at the end two photos of me with Subbie when I was 6 months old. We had already owned him quite a while (just before I was born). I grew up with him in my life to this very day. He knows me better than I know myself in all honesty. He takes such good care of me, always has. Through my journey over the past 4-5+ years I have battled my own serious health issues, and when I became reliant on the Crutches and then the wheelchair, I was able to lead him from the wheelchair and the crutches and he would take tiny baby steps (just like when I was a toddler and learning to walk, he would take baby steps behind me with the front of his face straight down my back as though to support me, shattered we didn’t have the camera with us and sadly camera phones didn’t exist back then ). I have added a couple of other photos of him with me too, just to share. There were a couple of them that as you can see we’re taken back in summer. 

I am truly so blessed to have had him such a huge part of my life as his owner.
Kind Regards,
Nikki

subbie-2-165x300.jpg subbie-1-165x300.jpg

Animal rights protesters  justdont want to hear a story like this.we are painted as moneyhungry heartless people who don't give a flying fuck about our horses. Send It to the parasites who stand with banners.

1 hour ago, tim vince said:

Animal rights protesters  justdont want to hear a story like this.we are painted as moneyhungry heartless people who don't give a flying fuck about our horses. Send It to the parasites who stand with banners.

I think a lot of  animal rights people are good people with good intentions but there are some seriously militant zealots  . Many many good people care for these old horses . I really enjoy reading about these old timers still knocking about after all these years .

As of end June old Arazi was still alive and well cared for in Victoria long after he was of any business value to his owners . 

It is too early to say he is on the road to recovery, but Subzero was in better shape on Monday morning than he was heading into the weekend.

The iconic grey’s loyal companion, Graham Salisbury, reported that he had ‘found a half-length’ as he battles potentially life-threatening illness.

The soon-to-be 31-year-old has been in the Bendigo Equine Hospital since last Wednesday, battling kidney problems and perotinitis, and Salisbury said that while not ready to come home yet, his condition had improved since Friday. 

“He’s found a half-length over the weekend. He’s improved that little bit,” Salisbury told RSN927’s The Verdict.

“He’s a fighter and he found that extra half a length over the weekend and it’s better of him to find it than lose it.

“We’re very, very hopeful now that he can find another half-length and just keep going on from there. Fingers crossed that he’s on the repair.”

The major concern of the Bendigo Equine Hospital’s Sarah Jalim is a high temperature and Subzero’s bowel movements, but Salisbury said there were positive signs in that regard.

“His temperature’s still up a little bit, that’s what she’s a little bit concerned about and she’s a little bit concerned about that he’s not passing any manure just yet,” he said.

“But there’s a bit of oil that they’ve pumped into him, that’s starting to come through so that could be a good sign of what’s to follow.”

Mighty grey Subzero is 'off the danger list' two days out from his 31st birthday.

His best mate Graham Salisbury told RSN on Tuesday morning the 1992 Melbourne Cup winner had passed manure for the first time since falling ill.

Subzero remains at the Bendigo Equine Hospital where he has been since last week but there are promising signs he is beating off health dramas which have included a bout of colic, kidney issues and also peritonitis.

"He is off the danger list," Salisbury told RSN.

"It is on the cards that he will be coming home. When he went down there (to the equine hospital), there was very litle hope of him coming back.

"But now there's every chance of him coming back."

Greg Hall, the jockey who won the 1992 Melbourne Cup on Subzero, intends to visit the veteran grey horse on Tuesday.

On 7/30/2019 at 12:25 PM, Pegasus 9 said:

Mighty grey Subzero is 'off the danger list' two days out from his 31st birthday.

His best mate Graham Salisbury told RSN on Tuesday morning the 1992 Melbourne Cup winner had passed manure for the first time since falling ill.

Subzero remains at the Bendigo Equine Hospital where he has been since last week but there are promising signs he is beating off health dramas which have included a bout of colic, kidney issues and also peritonitis.

"He is off the danger list," Salisbury told RSN.

"It is on the cards that he will be coming home. When he went down there (to the equine hospital), there was very litle hope of him coming back.

"But now there's every chance of him coming back."

Greg Hall, the jockey who won the 1992 Melbourne Cup on Subzero, intends to visit the veteran grey horse on Tuesday.

Great news....he's a fighter all right....:rcfe-like:

IMG_4073.JPG

Great news.....

It was the news the racing world had been waiting for - Subzero has returned home.

After weeks fighting off a variety of serious health issues, the 1992 Melbourne Cup winner left a Bendigo vet clinic on Saturday bound for home with his best mate Graham Salisbury.

The uplifting news came only two days after Subzero celebrated his 31st birthday.

At one point last week, there were grave fears Subzero may not survive to celebrate his birthday after struggling with life-threatening health problems.

In the last fortnight, Subzero's has fended off colic and then beaten a battle against a kidney problem and also peritonitis.

Subzero became Salisbury's clerk of the course's horse on Melbourne's metropolitan tracks before being retired in 2008 and the two have worked tirelessly as racing ambassadors for charity.

Salisbury has been facing his own major health battle with cancer in recent years.

IMG_4078.JPG

2 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Great news.....

It was the news the racing world had been waiting for - Subzero has returned home.

After weeks fighting off a variety of serious health issues, the 1992 Melbourne Cup winner left a Bendigo vet clinic on Saturday bound for home with his best mate Graham Salisbury.

The uplifting news came only two days after Subzero celebrated his 31st birthday.

At one point last week, there were grave fears Subzero may not survive to celebrate his birthday after struggling with life-threatening health problems.

In the last fortnight, Subzero's has fended off colic and then beaten a battle against a kidney problem and also peritonitis.

Subzero became Salisbury's clerk of the course's horse on Melbourne's metropolitan tracks before being retired in 2008 and the two have worked tirelessly as racing ambassadors for charity.

Salisbury has been facing his own major health battle with cancer in recent years.

IMG_4078.JPG

Fabulous news. What an amazing horse. A true champion and a legend. Incredible what pure love can achieve sometimes.

“GUESS WHO IS HOME?! 
A day I think that we can safely say that we were not sure would happen.
He is back home in his paddock (with a stable in it) with his toasty warm WeatherBeeta - Australia rug filling his belly with yummy Hygain feed and little bits of grass around his paddock.
He came home and ran laps of his paddock checking every inch of the paddock for any changes. You would think that he was 11yo not 31yo!
If not for the incredible team at the Bendigo Equine Clinic (Victorian Equine Group) there would be absolutely no way we would have our incredible boy home. The whole team here from the incredible vets, the vet nurses and all other staff cannot do enough for their equine patients and their two legged families.
The incredible prayers, well wishes and kind thoughts from hundreds if not thousands of people all across social media and who messaged me and text me, every kind thought shared with us means so incredibly much to Subbie, my family and I, we cannot express how grateful we are to each and every one of you.
Mum has just gone out to do an evening check on him and he is very happy and content, picking at some grass that has grown around his water trough while he was in hospital. He has also been eating his dinner.
Many people say Subbie must be half cat as he has 9 lives, I think he must be half lion because I think we have passed the 9 lives! But no more, Subbie! You need to stop keeping us on our toes now!
Just a couple of photos now he is home.
He would have both ears pricked if he wasn't keeping one warm under his rug and excuse the filthy nose, he loves to rub on everything that he should not.”

Capture.png