RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
slam dunk

Professional Sport - Transfer Fees

Looking at Helena Baby's ownership it doesn't need much thought to figure where it may end up. So what does NZ racing get out of it. Nothing.

As a form of income  export levies may be an option but more appealing is duplicating pro sport's transfer system.

The system could look like this. Every horse using NZ Racing infrastructure is aligned with a club. The club eliminates track fees and perhaps other costs e.g. barrier trials but contra to this Hong Kong primarily pays a realistic price for the transfer. That means more money staying in NZ even though the net result may not be much different to the clubs. 

It was announced some time ago that the horse is off to HK soon. We are probably lucky to have had it here. No point racing here for our stakes when it could make heaps in HK. No matter what we do we will never be able to match their stakes. We just have to find our level and place in the world really, as we do with many sports and activities.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

It was announced some time ago that the horse is off to HK soon. We are probably lucky to have had it here. No point racing here for our stakes when it could make heaps in HK. No matter what we do we will never be able to match their stakes. We just have to find our level and place in the world really, as we do with many sports and activities.

Exactly. Therefore why should NZ Racing  provide all the infrastructure and see no return. Thats not sustainable. Hong Kong buyers don't seem to have a problem paying big bucks to middlemen agents for a few hours easy work yet those producing the product don't get rewarded. I would include NZ Bloodstock in the middleman category. i.e overpaid.

Clubs have to latch on to this revenue by getting some agreement with destinations where top NZ horses go. All starters running in NZ Derby must sign on. After all the club running the Derby does far more promoting the horse than some so called agent.

On plus side of HK, a few come back to NZ trainers and it's impressive how they get them going again in new environment ., must be a lot of work with some of these horses  with issues . Helena Baby's trainer does a great job with them.

I heard on trackside that Simply Fantastic I think  it was called Saturday was gifted . From outside looking in HK authorities and owners appear to be doing the right thing by horses .

I would make a trip to see Pakistan Star race if he ended here , that would be good .

6 hours ago, Red Rum said:

On plus side of HK, a few come back to NZ trainers and it's impressive how they get them going again in new environment ., must be a lot of work with some of these horses  with issues . Helena Baby's trainer does a great job with them.

I heard on trackside that Simply Fantastic I think  it was called Saturday was gifted . From outside looking in HK authorities and owners appear to be doing the right thing by horses .

I would make a trip to see Pakistan Star race if he ended here , that would be good .

Horses coming back from Hong Kong is really taking away a liability from Hong Kong. All the more reason for getting tough on Hong Kong bit like Trump getting tough and getting better deal for American manufacturers.

The NZ Derby could have some of the stake returned by stipulating a transfer fee structure for the placegetters, e,g, $100,000 for first, $50,000 for second etc.