RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Breeder

Distance races for 2 yr olds

I see there was a race at Flemington, today for 2yr olds over 1800 meters. I know 1600 meter races are not uncommon, especially in the UK/France but I have not seen a 1800 meter race before

7 minutes ago, Tauhei Notts said:

You may have seen the Chesham Stakes at Royal Ascot over 7 furlongs, run in June for two year olds.  A winner of that race was imported to New Zealand and was an abject failure, viz Smuggler.

What year ? Chesham upped to 7 in 1996 , sprint over 6 up to then so not a stayer .

8 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Trained by Dick Hern if it's the same horse, around 1978?, I worked for him, narrow chested thing with no girth...he was never going to make it as a stallion

Correct , Dick Hern 1975 was the year . Won 6 furlong Chesham on debut ridden by Joe Mercer . By Exbury .

Chesham conditions are now runner  must be sired by a winner of race 9 furlong or more and it's  run over 7 now .

1 hour ago, Shad said:

Not for me, to tough on the babies, many which are not physically or mentally developed at that stage of their careers. 

Not disputing 2 year old racing has issues . Forcing a 2 yo to continually back up to get in Golden Slipper or MM imho is worse . These horses brought  along slower running distance backend of season .

Hartnell won Zetland in 2013 , back up few weeks later in the group 1 at Saint Cloud again over 2000 . Four  runners that day in Zetland 2013. Hartnell enough said about that warhorse. 2nd Montaly still doing the job in decent class at 8 for top stable of Andrew Balding he  ran few weeks back  , 3rd not run since 2017 when he was 6  but had long varied career ending up top dual purpose yard of    Gordon Elliot. Samtu the forth horse home that day  had run number 66 last night . He ran over fences at the beautiful Lake District course at Cartmel so at 8  is still toughing it out doing a good job over fences  . Just a random race  researched  but I think the results would be similar in other years .

Physiologically it is harder on a 2 yo to race in a pressure cooker 1200m than it is to run over 1600m. It's an absolute joke that we do not cater for our two year olds to race properly over this 1600- 2000m distance. All of our options as owners are shut down by having the current ridiculous race program where the pattern doesn't set up the championships up correctly for the following year.

Just take the Zetland Stakes (2000m at Newmarket...nearly every winner since 1980 have gone on to perform well the following seasons with many being the warriors in the next few years. A lot of them have gone on to become classic performers. It does no harm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zetland_Stakes

31 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Just checked, he won the Yorkshire Cup as a 5yo in 1978...Willie Carson rode him ( he’d replaced Joe as first jockey by then )

The horse wasn’t much good though, I’m sure I’ve ridden him, he was unimpressive if I remember correctly, third rate, lacked speed, narrow type and clearly the wrong type for this country 

There is a good piece on Racing TV you tube channel about Nashwan . How the season came about and Dick Hern doing a bit of ducking and diving pre guineas , Willie Carson was quite critical of his own ride in Eclipse giving horse too hard a race that in hindsight could have been avoided by better ride .

I had a read up about Joe Mercer , I didn't realise he did some jail time in India many years back as he tried  to export jewelry as he couldn't export his winter earnings from India due to currency controls at the time .