RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

One of the Best

First thing I remember when I saw him in the photo was the day he got beaten at Rangiora by the local horse, Commissioner. Only a young lad then but, standing down by the rail with my father, thought the world had ended. Still had me hooked after all those ‘W’ s in a row though :).

1 minute ago, Spikecity said:

Being clear of the well clear of the field at Forbury and jumping a puddle -  think he fell if my memory is correct

Correct.....I was there that night and he was a racecourse certainty who would have to fall over to lose....and he did...in the home straight !

I thought a piece of paper the reason.

I think a horse driven by JBNoble won the race .....from memory !

32 minutes ago, Spikecity said:

Being clear of the well clear of the field at Forbury and jumping a puddle -  think he fell if my memory is correct

That was a tragic event for more than just the connections.

He won this weekends Queensland Derby  in 75. May have been the first Kiwi horse to do so

Greg

Remember when he won the Ashburton Flying stakes which i think was on grass, I  took a .50c double bet with him and a horse called Dalestar. Came in at nearly $20 to win and the double was a whopping $350 ...a small fortune back in the day

I upset the bookie in an Auckland pub when I put $20 to win on Commissioner who beat him and paid $20's 400+ was alot of money in those days.

Was it the same day the National Flying Mile was won by Robalan who comprehensively beat the favorite Young Quinn at Alexandra Park ?? Circa 1975 ?

1 hour ago, ivanthegreat said:

I upset the bookie in an Auckland pub when I put $20 to win on Commissioner who beat him and paid $20's 400+ was alot of money in those days.

Was it the same day the National Flying Mile was won by Robalan who comprehensively beat the favorite Young Quinn at Alexandra Park ?? Circa 1975 ?

Brilliant. Shades of my dealings  one night with Notman at the Patamahoe pub whilst visiting up north:rcfe-love:

Greg

2 hours ago, Kotare_Hunter said:

I remember Noodlums daughter Gavotte who raced in the same colours. Her victory in a DB Super Stars heat where she easily accounted for Mai Mai and Mels Boy was one of her best. John Versteeg was her regular driver.

She must have been good with those results and him driving it. JV had a very good horse in 90's who just about made cup class but for a few  miscalculations:rcfe-happy-1:

Greg

Commissioner raced against Noodlum a number of times and finally beat him at Rangiora when paying that great win divvy.It was an unreal feeling as Noodlum was chasing his 16th win in a row that day. Geez he raced lots. Won the big 2yo go at Auckland midJune before lining up at Kurow only 7 weeks later.

Commissioner did go on as an older horse and win many times at Addington beating horses like Master Dean,Stanley Rio, Lunar Chance and Trevino  - days gone by when there was never a shortage of good horses racing competitively.

My memory of Noodlum was as stated earlier  Freeman Holmes getting beaten on him as a 2yo at Forbury where he shied and fell plus also getting beaten on him at the next start. Maurice Holmes then got the drive for the remaining 6 or so races that season and won them all. At age 65 it was Maurice’s last season of driving - dumb rule in hindsight!

2 hours ago, ivanthegreat said:

Would be great to ressurect that programme.

I met him once  many years ago when I was still at school. Was a great thrill as I was a big fan.  Would love to see the programme as I missed it.  Hopefully it will be replayed.