poundforpound

Brian is trying to stay relevant ....

15 posts in this topic

After his five minutes of fame, when Messara had his arm right up Brian’s chutney, moving his jaw for him, things have gone a bit quiet....and Brian is struggling to stay relevant.

Here’s his latest little ramble of no consequence ....

https://www.theoptimist.site/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

It is a sad state of affairs when the Snake Gully Cup is worth more than the Waikato Cup. Must put a bit of pressure on the group status of some NZ races.

Hey hey hey hey hey. 

Please do not disrespect, dismiss or downplay the prestigious Snake Gully Cup.

I have made mention of this great race on here previously and I will not allow anyone to throw shade on it. 

I have never heard of this Waikato cup you speak of, but please do not compare it to the Snake Gully Cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rusty said:

Hey hey hey hey hey. 

Please do not disrespect, dismiss or downplay the prestigious Snake Gully Cup.

I have made mention of this great race on here previously and I will not allow anyone to throw shade on it. 

I have never heard of this Waikato cup you speak of, but please do not compare it to the Snake Gully Cup. 

My Maher ran the other day Rusty , she's building for another go at the holy grail of thoroughbred racing  , without doubt the best Cup race run each year near Snake Gully .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

My Maher ran the other day Rusty , she's building for another go at the holy grail of thoroughbred racing  , without doubt the best Cup race run each year near Snake Gully .

Truer words have never been spoken. 

Amen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The interesting point for me in the link provided is the support given by NSW racing to country racing.

Also supported by Destination NSW, country racing is seen as an integral part of the social fabric of the regions, and vital in the overall attraction for tourism.

Here, our leaders are intent upon closing regional tracks down - with no figures to show how much will be 'saved'  by so doing, nor any analysis to indicate how much overall turnover will increase as a result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Here, our leaders are intent upon closing regional tracks down - with no figures to show how much will be 'saved'  by so doing, nor any analysis to indicate how much overall turnover will increase as a result.

How can closing down tracks increase turnover?  Turnover is virtually guaranteed to keep declining in New Zealand.


Tracks will get closed down and sold.  The money will get spent.  You pay back the loans which were used to get the minimum stakes from 7k to 10k (doesn't look like the new website will fund the repayment of those loans now), you give everybody a pay rise, spend money on catering more conferences, hire more consultants, send more employees overseas to observe things racing so they can come back and maybe write reports nobody will read or act on. etc.


At about the same time or soon after a bunch of higher profile trainers will start grumbling about how they need to be racing for better stakes so  whatever is leftover from the above will go there.  Eventually all the money will be spent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

The interesting point for me in the link provided is the support given by NSW racing to country racing.

Also supported by Destination NSW, country racing is seen as an integral part of the social fabric of the regions, and vital in the overall attraction for tourism.

Here, our leaders are intent upon closing regional tracks down - with no figures to show how much will be 'saved'  by so doing, nor any analysis to indicate how much overall turnover will increase as a result.

I should have referred to ' revenue'  instead of turnover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australian “country” racing is generally of a higher standard than NZ Metropolitan Racing though.

They also have cultural support across their country and entire calendar whereas NZ country racing only gets real support over the summer picnic series.

Our problems go deeper, firstly as a country we’re not inclined to gamble, and so we depend on offshore gamblers, but the product we’re producing is not of a global standard....it’s that simple.....and that’s why country racing in NZ has to ( largely ) go.

If we are to rebuild this shattered industry we need to have an end goal, a clear and distinct goal, and that goal should be to produce a stunning information and entertainment based product that equals or usurps the global competition.

Sadly we don’t own our own industry so we can’t possibly achieve that goal.

The club’s own the real estate and they’re parochial and insubordinate.

The NZRB owns the media, and career racing people, even gamblers, don’t have a significant voice at the NZRB

NZTR is largely emasculated but what power they do have is wasted with an ineffective board and management team that lacks understanding and empathy.

The RIU is out of control and more intent on destroying racing lives than creating a more healthy transparent industry.

Track managers seem immune from accountability.

Licensees are, from a welfare perspective, vulnerable in NZ, trainers in particular are forced into economic despair with no support systems in place, and jockeys are deprived of education and instruction, then expected to engage in unsafe practices without reasonable reward.

In short the industry is desperately sick, but short of a major rebuild using a 20 year plan there’s no real panacea, there’s no real hope, no long term sustainable reconstruction....everything we’re contemplating is “short term fix” stuff....we’ll be no better off in ten years time than we are now based on what I’ve seen in the Racing Reform Act....and we’ll probably be worse off.

AW synthetic tracks aren’t the answer, personally I hope pokies aren’t either, and based on my experience adding more fees or taxes will kill anything, so that’s not the answer...in short, for all the good intent we’re currently seeing, all the appetite for change, the truth is that the situation is hopeless, with two exceptions, the breeding industry is ( unlike racing ) still in the hands of those who determine its future, the owners, and so it should survive, and secondly, because we have so many remarkable horsemen in NZ the micro industry of selling tried horses abroad should remain reasonably healthy

A dismal epistle I know, but sadly it’s true.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump spot on. RITA has got to look at new revenue streams that will be ploughed back into stakes. They should look at stallion levies and levies on exported horses. Also how about a 10% extra payout on dividends payable to on course bettors. Surely we must have the software to implement such a scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now