RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

Farewell J Teaz

On 7/12/2019 at 6:42 AM, JJ Flash said:

Les Norman from Brydone, there's a name  i have not heard for a while. As for the racing it is the only time the Interdoms were ever held outside Auckland and Christchurch

"The result of the £10,000 Pacers' Final in 1965 was a dead-heat between Robin Dundee (trained at Gore by Jack Walsh and driven by Doody Townley) and Jay Ar (trained and driven by Yaldhurst horseman George Noble), the only occasion the honours have been shared in an Interdominion Final.

Poupette, trained and driven by Winton horseman Harry Cox (grandfather of present-day reinsman Jonny Cox), won the Trotters' Final at odds of 21:1.

Greg

Among the first English essays I marked when a "newbie" at Central Southland College in Winton was one from a young lass who told me all about that win by Poupette in the Trotters' Final. She proudly closed her essay with "And that has made Winton famous!"

Lots of youngsters from harness families then (1968-69) at CSC including John and Gaynor Cox, Brian Rabbit, an accomplished 1st five in my undefeated Fourth Grade rugby team, Dave McDonald, soccer goalie complete with black hair,  Ray Jenkins who learnt how to do the triple jump. Many others. Good days, interesting youngsters. 

The Winton Harness meetings were always well attended and the family groups were noteworthy.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:30 PM, Jape said:

Among the first English essays I marked when a "newbie" at Central Southland College in Winton was one from a young lass who told me all about that win by Poupette in the Trotters' Final. She proudly closed her essay with "And that has made Winton famous!"

Lots of youngsters from harness families then (1968-69) at CSC including John and Gaynor Cox, Brian Rabbit, an accomplished 1st five in my undefeated Fourth Grade rugby team, Dave McDonald, soccer goalie complete with black hair,  Ray Jenkins who learnt how to do the triple jump. Many others. Good days, interesting youngsters. 

The Winton Harness meetings were always well attended and the family groups were noteworthy.

CSC was certainly a harness school in those days.

I was a student there from 1969-1973 and there always seemed to be outbreaks of illness whenever there was a midweek race meeting.

John Cox and Dave McDonald were literally raised at Winton racecourse.Others you never mentioned included Gavan Hamilton of Trevira fame,various Skinners and Dave McHugh.

Of course,in those days many farmers had a couple of mares...it's much less common today