RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

Farewell J Teaz

Last night calling at Forbury, cant blame him for not wanting to travel to that place. Its usually cold , the horses are usually inferior and the facilities a shadow of their  glory days. The minuscule pools tells the story

Greg

45 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Last night calling at Forbury, cant blame him for not wanting to travel to that place. Its usually cold , the horses are usually inferior and the facilities a shadow of their  glory days. The minuscule pools tells the story

Greg

When were those glory days Greg?

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

When they held Interdoms there in mid sixties:rcfe-happy-2:

Greg

Yes indeed. It's one of the few courses in NZ I have never been to. I imagine it must be fairly dilapidated these days. Very sad the industry stopped maintaining courses just when it is most needed. Strange attitude when you think about it. There used to be a specific fund for amenities.

3 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

When they held Interdoms there in mid sixties:rcfe-happy-2:

Greg

Yes in 1965.....in late January they had a 3 night festival cup meeting with heats etc for good horses .

Usually had pretty good fields with some nice horses owned there ,several trained by DGJones , JCarmichael and other good Canterbury trainers.

My favourites were Terry May ,Sam Henderson ,DGMcCormick and Hamiltons [Central].My dad liked GDShand and LFNorman !

Often a bit cool ,only a sand hill between the track and the surf ,if it rained the mobile had trouble with grip !

Of course NO meetings back then between mid May and mid September.No harness at all between about 10 June and 10 August !

6 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

Yes in 1965.....in late January they had a 3 night festival cup meeting with heats etc for good horses .

Usually had pretty good fields with some nice horses owned there ,several trained by DGJones , JCarmichael and other good Canterbury trainers.

My favourites were Terry May ,Sam Henderson ,DGMcCormick and Hamiltons [Central].My dad liked GDShand and LFNorman !

Often a bit cool ,only a sand hill between the track and the surf ,if it rained the mobile had trouble with grip !

Of course NO meetings back then between mid May and mid September.No harness at all between about 10 June and 10 August !

Les Norman from Brydone, there's a name  i have not heard for a while. As for the racing it is the only time the Interdoms were ever held outside Auckland and Christchurch

"The result of the £10,000 Pacers' Final in 1965 was a dead-heat between Robin Dundee (trained at Gore by Jack Walsh and driven by Doody Townley) and Jay Ar (trained and driven by Yaldhurst horseman George Noble), the only occasion the honours have been shared in an Interdominion Final.

Poupette, trained and driven by Winton horseman Harry Cox (grandfather of present-day reinsman Jonny Cox), won the Trotters' Final at odds of 21:1.

Greg

2 hours ago, eljay said:

One of mine raced there in 1997 - and like a fool I went along.    Don't know who was coldest, horse or me but we both vowed never to return there in April again    Was a group 2 and he finished 9th

Did you take your own water ?????

Dunno if truth in it but they used to say a lot of visiting horses didn't like the water.

And of course its cold ,its nearly at the South Pole.

Galloping owner/trainer Jim Brown used to sell the hot chips stand ,that warmed you up not to mention the hot soup and toast when we got home !

The races always ran late cos they kept the tote open even for an old lady with sixpence to spend and there was often an incident/enquiry in last race ! 

One of mine raced there in 1997 - and like a fool I went along.    Don't know who was coldest, horse or me but we both vowed never to return there in April again    Was a group 2 and he finished 9th

The date was actually Sunday MAY 11th ...not APRIL.and Weather/Track,Fine and Fast.:rcf-rich-1:

2 hours ago, jayar said:

The date was actually Sunday MAY 11th ...not APRIL.and Weather/Track,Fine and Fast.:rcf-rich-1:

Are you and Eljay related:rcfe-happy-1:

Greg

On 7/12/2019 at 10:57 AM, Overcheck said:

I am almost certain Lordship at Forbury was the first 3yo to win an open class race.

I remember Speedy Cheval getting a deep rails run in 88' to score in Open Class at Forbury , ran a galant 3rd few weeks later in Luxury Liners Cup. 

So for harness enthusiasts over the weekend it was the Justin and Jason show in Canterbury.  Where were Mark and  Matt.

For the record i thought J Teaz did a good job at Addington as did Justin at Ashburton.

Greg

On 7/13/2019 at 5:26 PM, JJ Flash said:

Green colours with white sleeves??

Greg

You are probably thinking of C W McLaughan  JJ.  He had a good horse called Mighty Me.  I think those were his colours.   If I remember right he owned a shoe store and trained horses in his retirement.

34 minutes ago, lamour said:

You are probably thinking of C W McLaughan  JJ.  He had a good horse called Mighty Me.  I think those were his colours.   If I remember right he owned a shoe store and trained horses in his retirement.

Correct you are Lamour about Mighty Me.Thanks

Greg