RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Trump

Guptill

What a failure at the World Cup. Reputation is worth zilch if you’re over the top or out of form and Guptill has been woeful for the entire World Cup! Poor Management imho by picking him on “Hope”! 

Commentator Ian Smith comments, “ Guptill can be prolific”. I’m assuming he’s referring to Guptill’s run of poor efforts at the crease in this WC ? What is his batting average at this year’s WC? Has it got to double figures?? My comments are not meant to assume that Guptill is not a good batsman, but clearly, he’s been out of form for this tournament. He looks uncomfortable etc. Is/Was there nobody else they could try?

Zero to hero in one match! A 1000/1 runout to stop India and advance NZ to the World Cup Final. Let’s hope he now comes out with a fast 50 in the final and goes home on a happy positive note, content that he’d come good when needed. They’re in the final and that’s all that matters. It’s all in front of them now.

Now that was some game in the end. One of the great NZ victories. However I had mixed feelings about Dohni getting run out, because I was interested to see just how he intended to win the game for India. He'd allowed the required run rate to stretch out to 15 an over, on a dodgy wicket. Is that being "cool and calm" or "arrogant and over confident".

Guptill's career average for O.D.I. is 42.6, whereas Munro's is 24.9. As both are aged 32, one would ask who is likely to perform or improve? As he has been unsuccessful, apart from the first game, I would like Guptill to go full blast from ball 1 in the final, rather than noodling through overs and still getting out. What does he have to lose? 'Death or Glory" with a personal preference for the latter..

On 7/11/2019 at 11:08 AM, Uriah Heap said:

Now that was some game in the end. One of the great NZ victories. However I had mixed feelings about Dohni getting run out, because I was interested to see just how he intended to win the game for India. He'd allowed the required run rate to stretch out to 15 an over, on a dodgy wicket. Is that being "cool and calm" or "arrogant and over confident".

If Dhoni has of moved his fat bum a bit faster and “dived” over the line, he would have made it. He wasn’t banking on a direct hit from Guptil!!

On 7/10/2019 at 12:13 PM, crustyngrizzly said:

It would be interesting to see If broadcaster Laura McGoldrick has ever been critical of her husband Mr Guptill.

She is host of The Cricket show as well as NZ Heralds sporting comments on the web.

Not publicly , he has to be the biggest drama queen of all times in NZ cricket. Played shit all of the event , scored precious few runs, wastes teams review, again, and  then has to face 1 ball in super over to get his TEAM over the line to win WC. What does he do , gets a ball down leg side which if he had missed it or even wiser let it go would have been called a wide and thuswe probably would have won.

Greg

No you are being to hard on him, the bowler was up to the task he was bloody lucky to even get the bat on it..blame him all you want what about boult the way he bowled letting them get 15 in the first place,very unfair to put the blame on Guptill.

For what it’s worth, I thought the “eleventh hour” Captaincy of Williamson was very poor. Firstly, for the Golden Over, he chose a bowler who was his worst bowler all day and it proved so as he leaked all those runs in his last two overs of the match and golden over. Secondly, his choice of his worst performing batsman (Guptill) all tournament to front in the Golden Over was imho a huge mistake. And it proved to be so. Poor Captaincy IMHO. Having watched the entire match from start to finish, it was disappointing to go to bed for a couple of hours sleep after watching such a riveting match. Why wasn’t the “Bat of God” hit declared a “Dead Ball”? 

Should have gone with Neesham and Williamson with the golden over probably.But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Pretty easy to sit back on the keyboard and criticize the captaincy, bowling and batting.

Not many runs scored or wickets taking on the keyboard.

Congrats to England though by crikey they had some luck.

28 minutes ago, Memphis2 said:

Should have gone with Neesham and Williamson with the golden over probably.But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Pretty easy to sit back on the keyboard and criticize the captaincy, bowling and batting.

Not many runs scored or wickets taking on the keyboard.

Congrats to England though by crikey they had some luck.

But you get my point? Why play your worst performing recognised batsman, who is hopelessly out of form, in a one over sudden death? Why play a bowler who was smashed in his 10 over stint and clearly a bit off on the day and who conceded so many runs on his last over? 

5 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Not publicly , he has to be the biggest drama queen of all times in NZ cricket. Played shit all of the event , scored precious few runs, wastes teams review, again, and  then has to face 1 ball in super over to get his TEAM over the line to win WC. What does he do , gets a ball down leg side which if he had missed it or even wiser let it go would have been called a wide and thuswe probably would have won.

Greg

To be fair so did Boult bowl a leg side ball. I think the batsman's mindset is totally focused about getting bat on ball.

Guptill had NZ's highest strike rate in its innings and was certainly a 6 hitter. The over didn't quiet work out for him as he had no strike until the last ball where a 2 was required. If they had known this they may well have chosen Taylor for sudden death.

I would not have picked Boult to bowl that golden over. He was not bowling well on the day.

Nor would I have picked Guptill to bat in the golden over. He was well out of form as a batsman .

It certainly wasn't Guptill's day. Wasted a challenge that would have saved Taylor. It was his throw that hit the bat ricocheting to the boundary and couldn't score two runs off the final ball.   

1 hour ago, rdytdy said:

I would not have picked Boult to bowl that golden over. He was not bowling well on the day.

Nor would I have picked Guptill to bat in the golden over. He was well out of form as a batsman .

It certainly wasn't Guptill's day. Wasted a challenge that would have saved Taylor. It was his throw that hit the bat ricocheting to the boundary and couldn't score two runs off the final ball.   

Hindsight is great,,,,

Personally I think Boult is one of NZ's best ever....a great bowler.....with X Factor.

Ditto Williamson with his batting ,experience and decision making.

Some of the other bowlers were too young ,too inexperienced or poor under pressure.

The team did well , undone by freak occurrences.

Remember Sylvia Potts ?

Spot on Gaz I doubt there was any hesitation picking Boult. You can't begin to imagine the pressure these guys were under. I doubt I would be able to get it on the pitch. Be a bit like John Howard's famous attempt at bowling. Nearly hit him on the foot .

On the count back why didn't they go to 6s scored first instead of 4s. No one probably ever thought it would get that far. Unbelievable game regardless of the result. Proud of our boys. 

PS. The Sharks form is a concern !!

3 hours ago, Trump said:

But you get my point? Why play your worst performing recognised batsman, who is hopelessly out of form, in a one over sudden death? Why play a bowler who was smashed in his 10 over stint and clearly a bit off on the day and who conceded so many runs on his last over? 

Fair point. If we asked Williamson he probably would have valid reasons. I thought he should have done it himself. On a hiding to nothing really. If we lost with him there the critics would have been onto him. 

Our bowlers certainly were our spearhead. Wonder how CDG would have gone in the Super over  . He performed well in the game 

On 7/10/2019 at 12:13 PM, crustyngrizzly said:

It would be interesting to see If broadcaster Laura McGoldrick has ever been critical of her husband Mr Guptill.

She is host of The Cricket show as well as NZ Heralds sporting comments on the web.

Crusty you obviously Havnt seen much of Laura, she is a legend. She is probably the most positive person I’ve ever seen on TV , she does the golf show and has a passion for sport. I can Guarantee her influence would be nothing but positive to Guppy and in a game of Millimetres shit can happen. Wake up son

12 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Crusty you obviously Havnt seen much of Laura, she is a legend. She is probably the most positive person I’ve ever seen on TV , she does the golf show and has a passion for sport. I can Guarantee her influence would be nothing but positive to Guppy and in a game of Millimetres shit can happen. Wake up son

and isn't that the problem.

Sometimes people need to hear the truth.

Applies in many walks of life.

4 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

and isn't that the problem.

Sometimes people need to hear the truth.

Applies in many walks of life.

Agree wholeheartedly, it would completely depend on your relationship Crust surely ,but on face value Laura’s not that bitch :rcfe-happy-2: