RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Te Toka

R.i.p Leo George

I am so sad, so very sad, to hear this news.

I knew zzz and his family very well when they lived in Kaiapoi and zzz was working for the Christchurch Star. We kept in touch after he moved north and I met him and Jean about 18 months ago the last time I was up that way.

A lovely chap. A lot of fun to be with. Loved to pick a winner.

To Jean, Crystal and Jason, our sincerest condolences.

Peter, Mark and Nicola Rosanowski

What a sad week.

I never knew or even met zzz. I remember him in his role as the lead harness writer for the New Zealand Herald.

I'm not sure exactly when he started or when he finished his association with the NZ herald but I enjoyed reading his articles throughout the 90s. In those days, Michael Guerin was his understudy, so to speak.

When did zzz become too ill to continue work? I only ask because - and perhaps I'm mistaken - but I'm sure it wasn't all THAT long ago I saw him and other media figures up in that little room (the press box?) two floors above the Elsu lounge at Alex Park.

Very sad news.

I worked with zzz at Friday Flash, a very passionate person about his racing. Liked to have a joke every now and again and was always a pleasant person to be around.

Rest in Peace zzz, Harness racing has cetainly lost a true gentleman and fan.

Sincere condolences to his family.

:flower: :flower:

I enjoyed a few good evenings at the old Racing Writers dinners sharing a table with zzz, before he got on the executive and was bench seated,

Now that was a function, and so much fun to boot!

Good old song that, Those were the day's my Friend, we thought they'd never end!

RIP my friend!

I accidentally came across this thread whilst googling something else, and this led to zzz's obituary, which in turn led here

I first had dealings with zzz when I worked for Raceday Control at TAB HQ (he knew me as "Bear" back then) many moons ago. Then, in what really turned out to be a small world, we bumped into each other at the Chartered Clubs Darts Nationals one year in Auckland, at Papatoetoe if memory serves. It was at the same time that Team NZ defended the America's Cup.

zzz and I shared two passions - darts and racing, and it was fair to say we got on real good! OK, zzz, by his own admission, was not the greatest darts player around, but that didn't matter. He enjoyed it, and that's what it's all about after all. His wife, Jean, although I always knew her as "Spider" George, was a very good ladies player, and zzz was always by her side when I bumped into them at either National or North Island tournaments. Great people.

The reason I am writing so long after zzz's passing is because just yesterday, on the way to another day of darts, I was talking with a mate of mine regarding punting. And he mentioned a guy who used to have some great tips at darts tournaments and a lot of players made a killing off of his tips. "Are you talking about zzz George?", I said. "Yeah, that's him. Looking forward to the Nationals at Upper Hutt, hopefully he'll have a few winners for us!"

Obviously it was with some sadness that I advised those in the car that zzz had passed earlier this year.

Not sure if "Spider" will be at Upper Hutt in a week or so, but if she is it will be nice to say hello.

You will be sadly missed, zzz old buddy!

Bear

I knew Jean and Leo when Leo was a drummer with the soundells at the downtown club in Wellington in the 60s the best band ever. I struck up a short friendship with Jean just before I returned to Sydney. I often remember the night I came home from the club with Leo and we three played the board game detectives while their little pug snored under the table.Leo was an outstanding drummer when he played drum solo’s he would get a standing ovation ,the songs I remember him singing were the joker went wild and crystal ball so you see he wasn’t just a racing journalist  he was part of a popular band and actually recorded a single a  man of many talents and such a lovely guy. I had been researching the soundells and discovered Leo’s passing and it brought back so many memories of a life time ago.RIP Leo I will treasure those times always.

This may surprise you but Leo was a drummer in the band the soundells in the 60’s they even cut a record .I had a short friendship withJean before returning to Sydney.Leo played at the Downtown club in Wellington and got many a standing ovation for his drum solos two of the songs he performed was The joker went wild and crystal ball he was great.Leo and Jean were two of the nicest people you could hope to meet it upset me terribly to hear of his passing.I often recall the time the three of us sat up half the night playing a board game while Jeans little pug Tamojean was under the table snoring.Simple but happy times so long ago but never forgotten.RIP Leo.