RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eljay

Late Scratching(s)

Does anyone know after what time on race day is a scratching deemed to be a late scratching?      Last night at Auckland, in the stipes report. in race  4  it states

Late Scratchings
Race 4 BIT OF A TIGER - 8.35am - Sold

Seven horses lined up

However they only paid 1st & 2nd in this race!

I am pretty sure that 9am is the cut off point for a scratching to not count when it comes to determining the number of divis. That seems pretty fair to me. Surely 11 odd hours is long enough for someone to realise there are only 7 starters and therefore only two divis. The size of the place divi is usually a guide as well. I do think though that there should be some clear indication on the tote that there will be only two place divis. As far as I recall, there is no such indication currently. Probably wouldn't have cost much to implement as part of the $50m+ spend up.

It didn't affect me but was just when I saw the stipes report stated it was a late scratching that my curiosoty was aroused.     Either the stipes & the TAB singing from different hymn sheets or one of those annoying and unexplained "office errors" has occurred.      Surely someone in officialdom reads Race cafe (we know they do) so surely clarification from someone there would be fairly simple.