RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Memphis2

Gout

When you get gout what are the main causes for you?For me it has been pineapple ,grapefruit and tomatoes.When I overeat any of these then I get an attack of gout.

That is if I don't take my medication.

Do you people take medication for gout everyday or just wing it?Winging it is not recommended .

What about if you have an attack.Do you have a separate treatment for this?

Worst pain I've had.At one stage I had a busted achilles tendon in one foot and gout in the other.When I arrived at the hospital I said don't worry about the tendon first up but can you do something for the gout.

Interested to know what causes gout in other people.

21 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

A family members gout was brought on by seafood,alcohol and anything containing too much acid.

Only took medication when the pain got too bad.

Not much fun having those things giving you gout Crusty .

Memphis Yeah pain is unbelievable I  got gout when I was about  30 went to doctor he said you have a broken foot and strapped it up .Went to pub for medication to help ease pain. Our barber came in for a beer and diagnosed me with goutgave me some of his tablets 2 days later I was back to normal. Went back to doctor told him Barber said I have gout and I"m a lot better after taking his medication.Doctor suggested I should go to barber for all my problems he was pretty snarky.After getting every joint pain possible in the next few years the docter gave me these tablets which I took for  12 months .Touch wood I have never had gout since.You do have to watch your diet no pork,red wine [found that one out after a 3 day bender],never again.some sea food mussels not good .IBU profen is only a short term help you need good stiff only a doc can give you.Otherwise just keep drinking and eat what you want its more fun.cheers

Yes Boss H i take a zyloprim everyday which keeps it in check..I also have a tablet which I take if I get an attack.

Doesn't happen often nowadays.

Went to the spring carnival in the early 80s and had a whacking pain in my elbow.They actually gave me a sling at the races.Later on I jerried it was gout.

Got it in the big toe in Sydney the first time ever I had it.The doctor said it was a classic case of gout.

For some strange reason people laugh when you say you have gout.No laughing matter though.

Fortunately, I don’t suffer from gout. Never had the experience! However, a friend of mine “used” to get it bad and he had the usual prescribed drugs from his Doc, which he only took when he got gout! Idiot. He had what I would call “a bad diet”. Too much BBQ, meat, pies etc. lots of protein. Too much protein is bad for you. He also didn’t drink much water. During a round of golf I would drink 4 bottles. He would drink a quarter of one bottle!  I suggested he reduce his meat intake and increase his veggie intake and drink lots of water - every day. His gout was so bad he tried it. Within one month he not only felt a lot better with all the water and good veggies flushing his organs, he stopped getting gout ! Has not taken Doctors prescribed gout drugs for over two years now and has not had gout during that time. Now, it may not work for everyone but if you do have a problem with gout, try reducing your protein and increase your greens/veggies  and water intake. You can still have your meat but just have it once per week and have fish and veg more often. Drink water religiously every day. Good luck. (Reducing sugar in your diet thru a reduction in processed foods can also help!)