RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
LightsOut

Glenda Hughes departing e-mail...

compare that to John Allen's message on the NZRB website last week. Both the CEO and Chair of the NZRB showing 100% that they have no idea of the current state of the NZ Racing Industry and would be certified as showing clear signs of having a delusional mind by anyone who knew the true actual state of the NZ Racing Industry.

Indications of signs of delusionality (not an actual word but neither has Allen or Hughes been of any actual benefit to the NZ Racing Industry)  highlighted in bold so you can make your own minds up as to whether certification requires a 2nd opinion. 

Part of John Allen's message last week.   The outgoing Board are leaving the organisation on a strong footing, equipped to be able to deliver increased returns to the industry on the back of a competitive betting platform, solid technology and world leading presentation of racing content.”

A MESSAGE FROM NZRB CHAIR, GLENDA HUGHES 

Good morning,
Having presided over the final Board meeting as Chair of the New Zealand Racing Board on Wednesday, and as the organisation prepares for its next phase under a new Board, I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the tremendous support you have provided the Board and I over the past five years.

It has been an honour to have led this organisation through a period of major change. I am hugely proud of the work we have undertaken together to oversee the most significant period of transformation the TAB has ever seen ( don't think Glenda was involved with overseeing RITA in any area and the TAB dosn't actually exist).

This is an organisation full of exceptionally talented people from our Trackside crew and TAB retail staff, everyone at our offices around the country, to our excellent Chief Executive and management team. 
I’m immensely proud the Board is leaving the NZRB in a much stronger position than we inherited (Glenda's delusional ratings just crashed due to overload. Many of the decisions the Board have made over the years have been challenging, involving careful consideration of the benefits and risks, and often requiring robust debate amongst the Board (robust debate = dinner at the West Palza or James Cook Hotels). 

But as I look back at these calls, I can be confident in the knowledge that the investment in FOB, our cloud-based technology platform and the broadcasting of racing in HD were not only the right decisions but will prove to be critical to the long-term sustainability of the industry. 

I’d like to recognise the dedication and passion of the outgoing Board - Graham Cooney, Rod Croon, Greg McCarthy, Mauro Barsi and Bill Birnie (who carries on under RITA). They worked tirelessly for the NZRB and the industry over their time at the helm and proved to be a tremendous Board. 

I would also like to acknowledge former Board members Alistair Ryan, Barry Brown and  Liz Dawson (who returns under RITA). Alistair and Liz were there when I first started and guided me through some very difficult times, and Barry joined the Board at a time when we needed his special area of expertise.

The NZRB (or Racing Industry Transition Agency as it will soon be known) will continue to play a critical role in supporting racing and sport in New Zealand.

I know the past year has created some unease and uncertainty for many of you as our organisation and industry evolves, yet all of you show up everyday and work tirelessly for the industry - I’ve always appreciated that.

I  really enjoyed the communications I have had with many of you. Your openness, honesty and willingness to make things work has been really helpful and refreshing.

On behalf of the Board and I, I wish you all the very best of success and I look forward to the TAB continuing to grow and prosper, enabling the long-term future of our industry.  

There are no barriers out there, just things to get done. And you have shown the capabilities needed to make it happen and I am confident you will continue to do so.

Warm regards,
Glenda

All those things you have mentioned would indicate that you must think that the appointment and reasoning why the Racing Minister has set up RITA is not needed.   

When your in charge of an organisation and Industry and read comic books far better financial reports and balance sheets there is only one end result and its not a pretty one.

Today July 1st 2019 the birth of some new hope for the NZ Racing Industry and  lets hope they get it right as there will be no 2nd attempt. 

44 minutes ago, LightsOut said:

compare that to John Allen's message on the NZRB website last week. Both the CEO and Chair of the NZRB showing 100% that they have no idea of the current state of the NZ Racing Industry and would be certified as showing clear signs of having a delusional mind by anyone who knew the true actual state of the NZ Racing Industry.

Indications of signs of delusionality (not an actual word but neither has Allen or Hughes been of any actual benefit to the NZ Racing Industry)  highlighted in bold so you can make your own minds up as to whether certification requires a 2nd opinion. 

Part of John Allen's message last week.   The outgoing Board are leaving the organisation on a strong footing, equipped to be able to deliver increased returns to the industry on the back of a competitive betting platform, solid technology and world leading presentation of racing content.”

A MESSAGE FROM NZRB CHAIR, GLENDA HUGHES 

Good morning,
Having presided over the final Board meeting as Chair of the New Zealand Racing Board on Wednesday, and as the organisation prepares for its next phase under a new Board, I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the tremendous support you have provided the Board and I over the past five years.

It has been an honour to have led this organisation through a period of major change. I am hugely proud of the work we have undertaken together to oversee the most significant period of transformation the TAB has ever seen ( don't think Glenda was involved with overseeing RITA in any area and the TAB dosn't actually exist).

This is an organisation full of exceptionally talented people from our Trackside crew and TAB retail staff, everyone at our offices around the country, to our excellent Chief Executive and management team. 
I’m immensely proud the Board is leaving the NZRB in a much stronger position than we inherited (Glenda's delusional ratings just crashed due to overload. Many of the decisions the Board have made over the years have been challenging, involving careful consideration of the benefits and risks, and often requiring robust debate amongst the Board (robust debate = dinner at the West Palza or James Cook Hotels). 

But as I look back at these calls, I can be confident in the knowledge that the investment in FOB, our cloud-based technology platform and the broadcasting of racing in HD were not only the right decisions but will prove to be critical to the long-term sustainability of the industry. 

I’d like to recognise the dedication and passion of the outgoing Board - Graham Cooney, Rod Croon, Greg McCarthy, Mauro Barsi and Bill Birnie (who carries on under RITA). They worked tirelessly for the NZRB and the industry over their time at the helm and proved to be a tremendous Board. 

I would also like to acknowledge former Board members Alistair Ryan, Barry Brown and  Liz Dawson (who returns under RITA). Alistair and Liz were there when I first started and guided me through some very difficult times, and Barry joined the Board at a time when we needed his special area of expertise.

The NZRB (or Racing Industry Transition Agency as it will soon be known) will continue to play a critical role in supporting racing and sport in New Zealand.

I know the past year has created some unease and uncertainty for many of you as our organisation and industry evolves, yet all of you show up everyday and work tirelessly for the industry - I’ve always appreciated that.

I  really enjoyed the communications I have had with many of you. Your openness, honesty and willingness to make things work has been really helpful and refreshing.

On behalf of the Board and I, I wish you all the very best of success and I look forward to the TAB continuing to grow and prosper, enabling the long-term future of our industry.  

There are no barriers out there, just things to get done. And you have shown the capabilities needed to make it happen and I am confident you will continue to do so.

Warm regards,
Glenda

All those things you have mentioned would indicate that you must think that the appointment and reasoning why the Racing Minister has set up RITA is not needed.   

When your in charge of an organisation and Industry and read comic books far better financial reports and balance sheets there is only one end result and its not a pretty one.

Today July 1st 2019 the birth of some new hope for the NZ Racing Industry and  lets hope they get it right as there will be no 2nd attempt. 

One thing that does come through in all of their comments is that they see the actual racing product itself as only a minor part of the equation. In ancient history the Racing Board was actually responsible for the Racing Industry and the TAB was merely a service organisation providing betting services, in much the same way as the local caterer provided some food on race-day. Somehow over time the tail has come to wag the dog, and the result has not been good for the actual grass-roots industry.

(And purely as an aside Lights Out, the James Cook is not a particularly flash hotel)

We're Doomed good point and correct re the swing in the change of the tail now wagging the dog.

And correct the James Cook Hotel isn't that flash (which I knew) so one would hope that those when debating it and did in fact choose the James Cook knew that and it would reflect in the overall cost to the Industry.Those who put personal preferences before costs would have obviously had little interest in cost savings to the Industry.  Only a small cost over 12 months i realise but many small costs add up to bigger total expenses. 

2 hours ago, LightsOut said:

Here is the big flaw in the thinking of many. The TAB wagering service is an intermediary  between the clubs and punters. Therefore to prosper racing needs the TAB to be slim and efficient and sometime in the future not required at all. So growing the TAB is contrary to racing's interest. Racing must start thinking of weaning itself from the TAB (wagering dept).

Don't think Glenda ever understood what was required anyway.

One thing to remember is that none of the people currently involved in racing administration at that level really have any idea what racing was like back in the 80s and early 90s. I don't imagine Glenda and John were ever race-goers back in the day, so they probably have no idea what it used to be like, and don't really understand what some participants would like to see it return to.

42 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

One thing to remember is that none of the people currently involved in racing administration at that level really have any idea what racing was like back in the 80s and early 90s. I don't imagine Glenda and John were ever race-goers back in the day, so they probably have no idea what it used to be like, and don't really understand what some participants would like to see it return to.

Love to see racing back in the eighties. With Black Kirrama's trial video tapes, no Trackside, no TAB bookies one could get $20 on trial performers which nowadays pay only $3.00 and still some pub bookies about to offload on as well.

4 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

One thing that does come through in all of their comments is that they see the actual racing product itself as only a minor part of the equation. In ancient history the Racing Board was actually responsible for the Racing Industry and the TAB was merely a service organisation providing betting services, in much the same way as the local caterer provided some food on race-day. Somehow over time the tail has come to wag the dog, and the result has not been good for the actual grass-roots industry.

(And purely as an aside Lights Out, the James Cook is not a particularly flash hotel)

You got it We're Doomed , racing IS a minor part of the equation when it comes to generating money , no matter what ,  racing is doomed if it relies  soley on racing to sustain itself that's the whole reason behind the new platform and the promotion of sports betting , the outlook might be bright if sports betting actually takes off as intended . 

It's no surprise John and Glenda are happy with the new direction they have pointed the industry , sports betting combined with race betting should be good . Winston has effectively ENDORSED  their strategy by reintroducing  race fields .(under a different name of course)

""" the immediate benefits from July 1st should be gained mostly from income from racefields and the POC (Point of Consumption levy).  The legislation in Bill No.1 with racefields requires overseas betting operators to have obtained permission from the designated authority (DIA) or their delegate before they can publish race fields from New Zealand after July 1st. In theory, they will have entered into a contract to pay a percentage (around two percent) commission on turnover back to DIA for distribution to the codes.  

RITA has renamed racefields as Betting Information Use Charge (BIUC). The POC is a levy on bets placed by New Zealand-based punters on overseas betting agencies. 

In New Zealand, we are getting a much better deal on the POC levy than any state of Australia. Every dollar collected will come back to racing and sports compared to NSW which returns to racing only 30 percent of monies collected with the government pocketing the rest. Worse still is South Australia which set the levy high at 20 percent with all monies retained by the government.

The deal for New Zealand is excellent, and along with a negotiated up-front fee for outsourcing and savings of $50 million to $70 million annually in costs, once an outsourcing arrangement is in place, the industry is well on the way to doubling prizemoney as specified in the Messara Report. """"

So reading this summary of work done by the RB and the faith our racing minister has in their strategy it's no surprise John and Glenda are very happy with how they have positioned racing for the future , they might even get a bonus .

2 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Love to see racing back in the eighties. With Black Kirrama's trial video tapes, no Trackside, no TAB bookies one could get $20 on trial performers which nowadays pay only $3.00 and still some pub bookies about to offload on as well.

S D You"ve brought tears to my eyes imagine going back to the best days of racing .I personally think the 70's were the best.Huge crowds ,big fields,and best horses. Getting dress in your best gear and using your wits to get into members stand and free beer .It was great.Just a sad note unfortunately by the early 80,s the TAB brought the closing time down to starting time and we were like dinosaurs and had to give up.Ahhh but those were the days ,cheers

10 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

S D You"ve brought tears to my eyes imagine going back to the best days of racing .I personally think the 70's were the best.Huge crowds ,big fields,and best horses. Getting dress in your best gear and using your wits to get into members stand and free beer .It was great.Just a sad note unfortunately by the early 80,s the TAB brought the closing time down to starting time and we were like dinosaurs and had to give up.Ahhh but those were the days ,cheers

Ah yes, great days. Grey Way's Timaru Cup. Tears to the eyes alright.

12 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Ah yes, great days. Grey Way's Timaru Cup. Tears to the eyes alright.

WD We were at Ellerslie for the Easter in '77 ,we had decided to leave Grey Way out with 61.5 could not win such a high speed race and settled on a big bet on Tudor Light,100 yards out were looking good ,50 yards out Vice Regal poked thru and then the unbelievable Grey Way smoked them .All the many times we have been to Ellerslie the crowd stood and gave Grey Way a standing ovation that gave you a lump in the throat .Waiting for the judges  call you could have heard a pin drop .Imagine that race now such a close finish a neck to Vice Regal a nose to Tudor Light and Kiwi Can DH and close up Shifnals Pride and Verax waiting for the judges call, oh thats right we can't hear it because Sweeeeenys is burbling over the top of judges call.Back to the bar we should know the result in 10 minutes.

31 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

WD We were at Ellerslie for the Easter in '77 ,we had decided to leave Grey Way out with 61.5 could not win such a high speed race and settled on a big bet on Tudor Light,100 yards out were looking good ,50 yards out Vice Regal poked thru and then the unbelievable Grey Way smoked them .All the many times we have been to Ellerslie the crowd stood and gave Grey Way a standing ovation that gave you a lump in the throat .Waiting for the judges  call you could have heard a pin drop .Imagine that race now such a close finish a neck to Vice Regal a nose to Tudor Light and Kiwi Can DH and close up Shifnals Pride and Verax waiting for the judges call, oh thats right we can't hear it because Sweeeeenys is burbling over the top of judges call.Back to the bar we should know the result in 10 minutes.

42 years ago , we were young then , hardly any young ones support racing these days .

Nothing wrong with getting old it's better than not getting old .

Grey Way had to wait until he was about 10 before winning his home town Cup. I recall him getting beaten by Catastrophe and Greek Magic in earlier editions. And of course there would have been various Dennis Brothers horses about in those days as well. It is interesting that a horse like him would never keep going these days because of the handicapping. Just when we need all the good horses we can get we prevent them from racing. Weird really.

1 hour ago, tripple alliance said:

42 years ago , we were young then , hardly any young ones support racing these days .

Nothing wrong with getting old it's better than not getting old .

Too right TA.....as they say "every day above ground is a good one...". ;)

4 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

Imagine having a bunch of horses that were that good racing each other over 1600m in NZ now-a-days!!

28 minutes ago, Berri said:

Imagine having a bunch of horses that were that good racing each other over 1600m in NZ now-a-days!!

I think one thing is longevity. These days any decent mares would be retired after their 4yo season and fewer colts are being gelded and they get retired also if they win anything decent. Add in the Australian and Asian options for anyone that shows any promise, and it doesn't leave many champion older horses to go around in such races anymore.

So reading this summary of work done by the RB and the faith our racing minister has in their strategy it's no surprise John and Glenda are very happy with how they have positioned racing for the future , they might even get a bonus

Ha another victim of delusionality. It's very obvious that the Racing Minister had no faith in those two from day one. The racing Industry struck the bonus yesterday. Outsourced the Board and CEO and next move should be the marketing, customer service Departments plus a few more. 

5 hours ago, LightsOut said:

Ha another victim of delusionality. It's very obvious that the Racing Minister had no faith in those two from day one. The racing Industry struck the bonus yesterday. Outsourced the Board and CEO and next move should be the marketing, customer service Departments plus a few more. 

Now that's funny , let's look at this . Winston works for Winston so let's examine what he's done .

First , bad mouth the RB which will be popular and perhaps justified , 2nd proclaim doom and despair, mismanagement  , (3) appoint Messara to examine the industry and if we don't do what he recommends then it's the industry's fault , not his . (4) delay Racefields/POC tax so the timing for the success of this RACING BOARD strategy coincides with the next election (5) sack the RB board making sure no one from the RB  can claim success for racefields and the POC charge . (6) Create RITA and introduce Racefields under a different name , (BIUC)  again the purpose is to create the image that it's Winstons strategy that's generated extra money for racing , nothing to do with the former Racing Board .

He has said this is racings only chance , effectively do as what Messara has told you to do or don't blame me .

So this whole restructure boils down to the timing of the next election , if racefields was generating the forecast profits today it would be no use to Winston leading into the next election .

Racing has been failing / sliding backwards for the last 30 years , the RB was created in 2003 .

EX The optimist , de Lore , the Racing Board negotiated this , nothing to do with Winston or RITA . 

''The deal for New Zealand is excellent, and along with a negotiated up-front fee for outsourcing and savings of $50 million to $70 million annually in costs, once an outsourcing arrangement is in place, the industry is well on the way to doubling prizemoney as specified in the Messara Report. ''

For Winston this is all just politics .

21 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

Now that's funny , let's look at this . Winston works for Winston so let's examine what he's done .

First , bad mouth the RB which will be popular and perhaps justified , 2nd proclaim doom and despair, mismanagement  , (3) appoint Messara to examine the industry and if we don't do what he recommends then it's the industry's fault , not his . (4) delay Racefields/POC tax so the timing for the success of this RACING BOARD strategy coincides with the next election (5) sack the RB board making sure no one from the RB  can claim success for racefields and the POC charge . (6) Create RITA and introduce Racefields under a different name , (BIUC)  again the purpose is to create the image that it's Winstons strategy that's generated extra money for racing , nothing to do with the former Racing Board .

He has said this is racings only chance , effectively do as what Messara has told you to do or don't blame me .

So this whole restructure boils down to the timing of the next election , if racefields was generating the forecast profits today it would be no use to Winston leading into the next election .

Racing has been failing / sliding backwards for the last 30 years , the RB was created in 2003 .

EX The optimist , de Lore , the Racing Board negotiated this , nothing to do with Winston or RITA . 

''The deal for New Zealand is excellent, and along with a negotiated up-front fee for outsourcing and savings of $50 million to $70 million annually in costs, once an outsourcing arrangement is in place, the industry is well on the way to doubling prizemoney as specified in the Messara Report. ''

Do you really think there are enough people with an intimate interest in Racing these days for it to influence an election?

24 minutes ago, tripple alliance said:

You've got to wonder how successful outsourcing will be, we've had several Australians living in NZ trying to fix NZracing who have been woefully unsuccessful and now we are going to hand the reigns STS over to a bunch of them living in Australia. 

Folks don’t hold your breath waiting for stake increases! The NZ First Racing Policy going into the last election stated that minimum stakes for galloping races would be $15,000. Still waiting! An old political strategy when you fail is to escalate predictions. The Messara Report wants stakes to double ie minimum stakes of $20,000 for gallops. Pie in the sky. I fear stakes may even decline in the next season once RITA unravels the NZRB debacle.