RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
scooby3051

What a Grub

Two more arrested to now.....deserves to enjoy his porridge....

Ben Currie arrested, charged with fraud over racing allegations

Ben Currie arrested, charged with fraud over racing allegations
Ben Currie. Photo: News Limited. 
Ben Dorries
Article Author
Ben Dorries

Disgraced Queensland trainer Ben Currie has been arrested and charged with aggravated fraud, facing allegations he sourced performance enhancing substances for his horses and dishonestly claimed the winnings.

Currie was arrested in his home town of Toowoomba following a 14-month-long investigation by the Queensland Racing Crime Squad.

Police will allege he “engaged in systematic fraudulent behaviour” between November, 2016 and March 2019.

"It is alleged the offender has engaged in systematic fraudulent behaviour over a period from November 2016 to March 2019 where he has sourced and administered unregulated horse supplements designed to enhance race performance in a manner to circumvent current testing methodology in Queensland thoroughbred racing," a Queensland Police statement said.

"As a result, it is further alleged the offender has dishonestly gained a benefit through entitlement to prize money distributed by Racing Queensland for thoroughbred races in Queensland over that time.

"The man has been charged with one count of aggravated fraud (Criminal Code) and has been bailed to appear in the Toowoomba Magistrates Court July 15, 2019."

Outside the Toowoomba police station, Currie claimed he had no idea what he was being charged with.

“I don’t even know what the charges are to be honest,” he said.

“I don’t even know what it’s about.”

Currie’s disqualification from racing was recently increased to 7-1/2 years after he received a new ban on charges which included racing two horses with cocaine in their system.

Currie had previously been disqualified for 4-1/2 years for race day treatment (two years) and 2-1/2 years on two charges of improper action following an investigation into text messages relating to a jigger.

He hasn’t trained a runner since May 2 as officials refused his horse nominations even before the bans were imposed.

Queensland Racing Integrity Commissioner Ross Barnett said while he could not comment on the Queensland Police investigation into Currie, he said it arose from QRIC's’ "protracted and ongoing investigation into Currie Racing that commenced on 7 April 2018.'

“This Racing Crime Squad investigation has been carried out independently from the Commission but we have provided support as requested including technical advice from our Racing Science Centre chemists,” Barnett said.

“During the period of these alleged charges Mr Currie was a licensed thoroughbred trainer in Queensland.

“This investigation again demonstrates the importance of the partnership between the Commission and the Racing Crime Squad and the value of them being seconded to the Commission to deal with allegations of criminal conduct which arise during our investigations into the Queensland racing industry.”

wouldn't surprise if the police have got it wrong.

Example last week a prominent trainer interviewed at Otaki explaining the better performance. "We tweaked her blood". That would be 95% certain an injection. i.e. an enhanced performance via an injection. So how do you define "performance enhancing" if its just correcting a malady?

If horses receiving a vitamin injection were banned I doubt there would be sufficient for a horse race.

2 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Example last week a prominent trainer interviewed at Otaki explaining the better performance. "We tweaked her blood". That would be 95% certain an injection. i.e. an enhanced performance via an injection. So how do you define "performance enhancing" if its just correcting a malady?

If horses receiving a vitamin injection were banned I doubt there would be sufficient for a horse race.

They got NOTHING wrong not with this guy just search the charges ...cheers.

Hey is Grub the right terminology?  I’ve already received a grilling from Craig regarding a critique of his riding a while back and although I was justified he never saw it the same way:rcfe-happy-2:   The guys still a legend so could you replace Grub with something more befitting a total scumbag. Thanks

4 hours ago, slam dunk said:

You obviously know nothing of what this person has been up to SD. Everyone in Brisbane who is involved in racing knows what has been going on. The grub will get life once the Police have finished with him. He’s used the legal system to try and stay in the game but his game is up and it’s good riddance. I can assure you that “everyone” is glad to see the grub gone - hopefully for life.