RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tim vince

Word on the streets is

Computer playing tricks.

i note this weeks monte down to 6 horses .

5 of the original 7 nominations were from Jay Abernathy stable so thumbs up to him.

He seems to be a great supporter of initiatives in the sport ,and races a number of the older durable horses ,so IMHO deserves every success.

Maybe he provides the quinella this week with Bert the main danger again.

Judging by all monte events to date ,including trials there will be a few breakers ,lets hope not enough to crush the idea.

There will always be knockers out there .

true eljay, but.... Jockeys with inexperience with deafeners, horses on a hard surface and difficulty keeping saddle horses in a trot. and trying to win a race on a track with little or no trial experienced jockeys is simply asking for trouble. The damage done to harness racing is immense even if I am a lone wolf .I cant understand the support for these races to be TAB races.  Even my relatives who have never been to a trot course or had a bet could not believe that people could bet on them. And we keep losing real good JDs to Aus  due to lack of opportunities. Having raced horses since the late 1960s my last few will def be my last .:rcf-injured:

JD's go to Aussie coz there are ever dwindling opportunities in NZ.     Di you blame them?       Until the torrent of exports of even poor horses is stemmed then there is only three possible outcomes - smaller fields, juniors (and even seniors) crossing the ditch and - Montes!      And of course - the ever diminishing circle

9 minutes ago, eljay said:

JD's go to Aussie coz there are ever dwindling opportunities in NZ.     Di you blame them?       Until the torrent of exports of even poor horses is stemmed then there is only three possible outcomes - smaller fields, juniors (and even seniors) crossing the ditch and - Montes!      And of course - the ever diminishing circle

Exactly LJ......answers need to be found quickly .

What do your fellow executives at the head table think ?

17 hours ago, john legend said:

true eljay, but.... Jockeys with inexperience with deafeners, horses on a hard surface and difficulty keeping saddle horses in a trot. and trying to win a race on a track with little or no trial experienced jockeys is simply asking for trouble. The damage done to harness racing is immense even if I am a lone wolf .I cant understand the support for these races to be TAB races.  Even my relatives who have never been to a trot course or had a bet could not believe that people could bet on them. And we keep losing real good JDs to Aus  due to lack of opportunities. Having raced horses since the late 1960s my last few will def be my last .:rcf-injured:

Well John.......it is obvious you are heading to the exit as far as Harness Racing is concerned.

I am trying to keep it going.......but I draw the line at research from relatives with ZERO interest in the sport/industry.

I'd rank my mother in law research from Iceland above that.

We need research from lapsed customers/participants.

Hundreds of these are put forward on here and have been for years but they need to come with facts.

The word I hear is its too boring especially for younger folk ,people don't have the money to 'waste' as 3x TV's ,2 x cars , multiple trips and expensive gadgets are now essentials.

Many still like a gamble but prefer sports which are easier to understand or game changers [ lotto ].

A day at races in the summer satisfy most as an annual treat.

Gotta face the reality that things will never return to the late 60's......were they so good ?

But please no more research from relatives with ZERO interest ,unless they under 25 !

as is often the case TM. you miss the point completely .we do often preach to the converted but sometimes an outsider, daughter whose partner is an x jockey,, it  is interesting to hear from someone with no preconceived ideas at all. (in her 30s) Roll on the train wreck coming down the line friday last race. choo choo choo 

Good to see no' stomach ' for Montes fromATC only 3 good even trot races with normal carts attached. and driving opportunities for many harness drivers (not opp.for jockeys).well done Auckland.The last 3 horse montes pleasing to so few but embarrassing to most.:rcf-happy-7:

The Monte was only a Reserve Race John, just in case your friends didn't come to the party as has happened in the past.      How do you know "pleasing to so few"?     Why don't you say the truth "not pleasing to me"            

Well LJ . I can only surmise on a wintry night your horse saddled up goes out to do battle and gets beaten (thrashed) by 26 or 47 or even 50 lengths or disqualified (first night ) that you didnt enjoy it. I concede that Jay and Sailesh were in the few category as of course Susan Branch . but all of my betting friday group inc Trotting people asked hopefully if they having any more and pleading for the answer to be no.Now I could name them but I think the ATC accountant may also be in the "no more please"camp as except for the novelty value there is no point .and no redeeming features.,esp when focus should be elsewhere esp for the ATC.

Very difficult when the stars have either been sold or exported or being kept for the group races.       Something has to fill the fields week after week.     And with the ATC offering attractive stakes, as Tim says what better time than in the winter months to bag a few dollars.