JJ Flash

RITA- Board

35 posts in this topic

So NZRB board goes in  a few weeks but yet i have not seen any announcements about who is on its replacement RITA. Does anyone know and if you were on the board what would be your first priority. Surely a really hard look at cutting 10% out of the current cost structure would rate highly in terms of priority given the balance sheet its is inheriting

 

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Just shows you how important the issue is to most in there.....and some of the comments are frighteningly ignorant..

McAnulty performing like a seal.....:rolleyes:

yeah great turnout the person speaking, someone taking notes and the stand in speaker.

What McAnulty got to do with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slam dunk said:

yeah great turnout the person speaking, someone taking notes and the stand in speaker.

What McAnulty got to do with it?

He's Labour ( Wairarapa List MP ) if you were watching.....:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

So NZRB board goes in  a few weeks but yet i have not seen any announcements about who is on its replacement RITA. Does anyone know and if you were on the board what would be your first priority. Surely a really hard look at cutting 10% out of the current cost structure would rate highly in terms of priority given the balance sheet its is inheriting

 

Greg

Hasn't it  already been announced that MAC will become RITA + 1 person with wagering expertise if they can be found and possibly another if a further skill set is deemed necessary?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

He's Labour ( Wairarapa List MP ) if you were watching.....:rolleyes:

I am sure the former Minister Of Racing, Nathan Clown would have been in the House offerring his learned advice given that he contributed so much to NZ Racing. After all he head hunted  fellow National Party hack, Glenda Hughes who head hunted John (Clease) Allen.  Nathan Clown also gave us the all weather track at Addington

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Leggy said:

Hasn't it  already been announced that MAC will become RITA + 1 person with wagering expertise if they can be found and possibly another if a further skill set is deemed necessary?

I have since been told its not as clear cut as you say Leggy. Its very likely to be MAC plus two others and that's the information i and a few others are interested in as they will be the ministers choice and we all now how that's worked out in the past

 

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Midget said:

 With the demise of the NZRB, go to their web site and read what Glenda has to say about her time with the board. The part i found amusing was that she is leaving the board in a better shape now, then when she comes into it,Is she serious?

She's probably referring to the Cheese Board......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NZTR and the clubs have a lot more to do with the state of the thoroughbred industry than Glenda.

They have been undermining the Board for a long time and have finally succeeded.

What follows is completely unknown.

Will they recommend RITA management of all clubs and their assets for the greater good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Midget said:

 With the demise of the NZRB, go to their web site and read what Glenda has to say about her time with the board. The part i found amusing was that she is leaving the board in a better shape now, then when she comes into it,Is she serious?

More like the cupboard - even this master of spin has made few public announcements.

What was one positive outcome from her???

Quite possibly one of the worst appointments ever.

The only other bit of waffle from her was that she opened a TAB account soon after her start date, whoopdidoo - love to see her account activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patiti said:

The NZTR and the clubs have a lot more to do with the state of the thoroughbred industry than Glenda.

They have been undermining the Board for a long time and have finally succeeded.

What follows is completely unknown.

Will they recommend RITA management of all clubs and their assets for the greater good.

Patti, you couldn’t be more wrong. Liz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please explain.

NZTR  is the author of its own mismanagement and has simply blamed it on the TAB for years.

Now they have taken over by stealth well see how good they are.

The export industry seemed to be the focus of the submissions in Parliament  .

Taking over clubs and assets seems to be their next step.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patiti.....you make good sense re NZTR ...however it’s a bit unfair to single out one single entity for criticism 

The reality is we’re producing a product no one really wants, supported by a dying audience.

There'll always be Racing in NZ in some form, but not as we’ve known it, and therein lies our challenge...how do we remodel the industry, make it relevant and prepare it for the future ?

I’d have thought the amateur club system has to go, NZTR in its current form definitely has to go, the abusive bullies known as the RIU must go, and from the ashes something must emerge that’s smaller, 100% professional, transparent, accountable, safe, managed by people who actually have experience with horses & gambling, and that produces a “package” that’s globally appealing to our customers.

Let me close by saying a couple of  things, AW tracks are NOT the answer, they’ll help, but you can’t build an industry around them, unless they’re Strathayr.

Lastly....there’s absolutely no doubt that I’ve got the best brain in NZ Racing ( along with my numerous character flaws )...and I’ve got the hands on experience, plus I like all the members of RITA...but I can’t work with Winston or Labour...but when those time wasters are moved on I’ll be there to do my bit.

I think RITA has an unenviable task ahead myself, and they should be given 20 years to turn this shambles around, because they’ll need every day of that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Patiti.....you make good sense re NZTR ...however it’s a bit unfair to single out one single entity for criticism 

The reality is we’re producing a product no one really wants, supported by a dying audience.

There'll always be Racing in NZ in some form, but not as we’ve known it, and therein lies our challenge...how do we remodel the industry, make it relevant and prepare it for the future ?

I’d have thought the amateur club system has to go, NZTR in its current form definitely has to go, the abusive bullies known as the RIU must go, and from the ashes something must emerge that’s smaller, 100% professional, transparent, accountable, safe, managed by people who actually have experience with horses & gambling, and that produces a “package” that’s globally appealing to our customers.

Let me close by saying a couple of  things, AW tracks are NOT the answer, they’ll help, but you can’t build an industry around them, unless they’re Strathayr.

Lastly....there’s absolutely no doubt that I’ve got the best brain in NZ Racing ( along with my numerous character flaws )...and I’ve got the hands on experience, plus I like all the members of RITA...but I can’t work with Winston or Labour...but when those time wasters are moved on I’ll be there to do my bit.

I think RITA has an unenviable task ahead myself, and they should be given 20 years to turn this shambles around, because they’ll need every day of that.

 

You raise the most important part of this whole shambles with your final sentence. Many racing people, will be expecting miracles from the new board  but they simply cant fix the horrible mess they have inherited straight away. For a start, NZ employment rules make it virtually impossible to sack anyone so the management team they inherit  could not be removed without a hefty farewell cheque. Only problem is given its current balance sheet could they afford to remove all the under performing staff. I dont think so but value others thoughts on this issue.

 

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’d be nice if we had some “racing” people in the decision making positions though, even at the Trackside recruitment level, but also the RIU and other such agencies.

Racing belongs to Racing people, sports belongs to sports people, gambling belongs to gambling people, enough of this culture of recruiting outsiders to run this specialised industry....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

It’d be nice if we had some “racing” people in the decision making positions though, even at the Trackside recruitment level, but also the RIU and other such agencies.

Racing belongs to Racing people, sports belongs to sports people, gambling belongs to gambling people, enough of this culture of recruiting outsiders to run this specialised industry....

Hmmm... Might be "nice" but didn't "racing people" have a fair hand in creating the disaster that confronts us? From driving the passage of the Racing Act (2003) in the first place to the current proposed amendments. The almost continuous cry for all available (and now borrowed as well) funds to be spent on stakes rather than development of attractive racing and wagering product. The ineptitude of the likes of the NZTA to even manage their own financial affairs let alone influence any positive change etc.

I'm not so sure you are right. Would you hand over the cheque book to the head chef, maître d', waitress, or cleaning staff member and ask them to make the business decisions? They are all coalface "hospitality people".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leggy said:

Hmmm... Might be "nice" but didn't "racing people" have a fair hand in creating the disaster that confronts us? From driving the passage of the Racing Act (2003) in the first place to the current proposed amendments. The almost continuous cry for all available (and now borrowed as well) funds to be spent on stakes rather than development of attractive racing and wagering product. The ineptitude of the likes of the NZTA to even manage their own financial affairs let alone influence any positive change etc.

I'm not so sure you are right. Would you hand over the cheque book to the head chef, maître d', waitress, or cleaning staff member and ask them to make the business decisions? They are all coalface "hospitality people".

Chittick & Acklin....a breeder and a grocer turned pokie guy.....mmmmm........

Apart from a couple of trainers at NZTR, who made little or no impression, I can’t think of a genuinely experienced racing person who’s been a part of the industry administration team....can you ? 

Same for gamblers...they’re our custies but they don’t seem to have a voice....

RIU....tired old cops, not one has ever held a licence, worked in a horse environment, or raced a horse ( not raceday stewards or JCA, I’m talking RIU )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The NZTR and the clubs have a lot more to do with the state of the thoroughbred industry than Glenda.

They have been undermining the Board for a long time and have finally succeeded

Yes they finally succeeded. The Board is there to promote the racing Industry and to maximise its profits for the long term benefit of NZ Racing. It is there to promote racing betting but if anyone truly believes that the NZRB and its General Management in the last few years have kept to that objective make a time for the white van to pick you up.

Promote racing betting yeah right cut your customers betting amounts and treat them like they have the plague and in order to get rid of them introduce a new betting platform which would be better served as an anchor.

Quote

The part i found amusing was that she is leaving the board in a better shape now,

She is correct the Board is 100% in a better shape now that she is leaving. As for the shape of the Racing Industry it's pear shaped.    

$30 million in overdraft, assets sold, clueless management and a new betting platform she approved the biggest liability that the NZRB in its 50 plus year of existence has to tighten the noose. Jesus the Industry must have being in shit shape before she graced the scene if she thinks its better now. The only shape she is leaving the Board in personally is delusional.

Glenda don't you think you owe the NZ Racing Industry a parting gift, you appointed John Allen can't you take him with you?

 

The TAB and NZRB Board over the years along with the last five CEO's really have a lot to answer for. Lacking the one thing the Industry needed 'foresight'. The last six years under your Chairmanship Glenda the Board and General Management have just ambled along oblivious to whats going on outside in the bigger world.  Then you bleat when an Aussie has to come over to get your NZRB finances and structuring re-adjusted as you lot had no clues which brought everything to a head.

30 years ago Lotto approached the TAB and asked if they would be interested in selling their gambling product in TAB outlets. The Board turned them away and said we don't need them. No foresight to see that when a weekly Lotto prize has  jack potted to millions the % of the gambling dollar increases substantially towards Lotto but the dopey %$#%ards should have realised that when that did occur at least they would have been clipping the ticket for 7% of sales to make -up the losses in racing turnover that week.  

John Allen 'We have supported the work of the MAC since it was established in December and have confidence in their approach and direction.' $#@^ me how thick can someone be their approach and direction was initiated by the Racing Minister who had no confidence in the approach and direction of the path the NZRB was taking with you as the CEO acting on behalf of the Racing Industry.

Three years you sold to the Industry it would take for the new platform to pay for itself. Initial cost advised to the industry $28-30 million final cost closer to $50 million. Then you never informed the Industry it would cost another $17 million a year to run via Paddy Power and Openbet. The three areas you said it would create revenue not one has eventuated. Your customers have left in droves and you continue to inform people things are going well., The Industry needed something like the Messara report done 10 years ago but thanks to you and your inept management you have gone and put the Industry back another 10 years.   Those poor %$#%^^ coming in to sort your shit out would have an easier task solving world peace. You say your looking forward to working with RITA by $%^& when there get in there and really find out just how bad things really are I don't think the feeling will be mutual.  

Unless by July 1st you can prove to the Industry that Platform will pay for itself in 3 years and return the millions in extra revenue to to Industry you promised do you honestly think you should still sucking money from a financially depleted industry? 

You didn't create the overall problems the Industry is facing but by %$^& you certainly added and have accelerated the situation. Your a CEO getting shit from %$^& like me (rightly so mind you) so I hope you have shown some backbone and balls by ripping into the plonkers who you listened to. I hope you don't go into work Monday and go"oh dear more complaints on Sunday's Coppins shows and turnover is down what is going wrong". BY 5$%^^ if you don't know now your truly $%#%$ed.  

Glenda a $50 million dollar liability, $30 million in debt, and an Organisation with the lowest customer confidence and support in its history and you honestly think its in a better shape than when you took over? If you put your hand up to the Industry and said we $#%^ed up with the new platform you might get some respect but to think you did a good job on that then unfortunately that white van is only going to be on a one way trip.   

ps

Always remember you signed off the biggest %$#^ up in the NZRB's long history.     

 

 

We have supported the work of the MAC since it was established in December and have confidence in their
approach and direction.

 

 

 

 

Quote

e supported the work of the MAC since it was established in December and have confidence in their
approach an direction.

             

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leggy said:

Hmmm... Might be "nice" but didn't "racing people" have a fair hand in creating the disaster that confronts us? From driving the passage of the Racing Act (2003) in the first place to the current proposed amendments. The almost continuous cry for all available (and now borrowed as well) funds to be spent on stakes rather than development of attractive racing and wagering product. The ineptitude of the likes of the NZTA to even manage their own financial affairs let alone influence any positive change etc.

I'm not so sure you are right. Would you hand over the cheque book to the head chef, maître d', waitress, or cleaning staff member and ask them to make the business decisions? They are all coalface "hospitality people".

The 2003 Act and the subsequent debacle can fall squarely at the feet of Chittick, Hickton, Aklin, with a piece of Bettle. They gave away the TAB, took the rights of the racing clubs to offer their own totes, and agreed to a distribution model that was not appropriate. Throw into that the opportunity to restructure the way the bureaucracy works, and despite submissions made, failed to put into place race fields legislation (yes it was suggested way back then). One thing that we can all say is that due to desperation we might have a chance because we've got no where else to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LightsOut said:

anYes they finally succeeded. The Board is there to promote the racing Industry and to maximise its profits for the long term benefit of NZ Racing. It is there to promote racing betting but if anyone truly believes that the NZRB and its General Management in the last few years have kept to that objective make a time for the white van to pick you up.

Promote racing betting yeah right cut your customers betting amounts and treat them like they have the plague and in order to get rid of them introduce a new betting platform which would be better served as an anchor.

She is correct the Board is 100% in a better shape now that she is leaving. As for the shape of the Racing Industry it's pear shaped.    

$30 million in overdraft, assets sold, clueless management and a new betting platform she approved the biggest liability that the NZRB in its 50 plus year of existence has to tighten the noose. Jesus the Industry must have being in shit shape before she graced the scene if she thinks its better now. The only shape she is leaving the Board in personally is delusional.

Glenda don't you think you owe the NZ Racing Industry a parting gift, you appointed John Allen can't you take him with you?

 

The TAB and NZRB Board over the years along with the last five CEO's really have a lot to answer for. Lacking the one thing the Industry needed 'foresight'. The last six years under your Chairmanship Glenda the Board and General Management have just ambled along oblivious to whats going on outside in the bigger world.  Then you bleat when an Aussie has to come over to get your NZRB finances and structuring re-adjusted as you lot had no clues which brought everything to a head.

30 years ago Lotto approached the TAB and asked if they would be interested in selling their gambling product in TAB outlets. The Board turned them away and said we don't need them. No foresight to see that when a weekly Lotto prize has  jack potted to millions the % of the gambling dollar increases substantially towards Lotto but the dopey %$#%ards should have realised that when that did occur at least they would have been clipping the ticket for 7% of sales to make -up the losses in racing turnover that week.  

John Allen 'We have supported the work of the MAC since it was established in December and have confidence in their approach and direction.' $#@^ me how thick can someone be their approach and direction was initiated by the Racing Minister who had no confidence in the approach and direction of the path the NZRB was taking with you as the CEO acting on behalf of the Racing Industry.

Three years you sold to the Industry it would take for the new platform to pay for itself. Initial cost advised to the industry $28-30 million final cost closer to $50 million. Then you never informed the Industry it would cost another $17 million a year to run via Paddy Power and Openbet. The three areas you said it would create revenue not one has eventuated. Your customers have left in droves and you continue to inform people things are going well., The Industry needed something like the Messara report done 10 years ago but thanks to you and your inept management you have gone and put the Industry back another 10 years.   Those poor %$#%^^ coming in to sort your shit out would have an easier task solving world peace. You say your looking forward to working with RITA by $%^& when there get in there and really find out just how bad things really are I don't think the feeling will be mutual.  

Unless by July 1st you can prove to the Industry that Platform will pay for itself in 3 years and return the millions in extra revenue to to Industry you promised do you honestly think you should still suckingme how thick can someone be their approach and direction was initiated by the Racing Minister who had no confidence in the approach and direction of the path the NZRB was taking with you as the CEO acting on behalf of the Racing Industry. money from a financially depleted industry? 

You didn't create the overall problems the Industry is facing but by %$^& you certainly added and have accelerated the situation. Your a CEO getting shit from %$^& like me (rightly so mind you) so I hope you have shown some backbone and balls by ripping into the plonkers who you listened to. I hope you don't go into work Monday and go"oh dear more complaints on Sunday's Coppins shows and turnover is down what is going wrong". BY 5$%^^ if you don't know now your truly $%#%$ed.  

Glenda a $50 million dollar liability, $30 million in debt, and an Organisation with the lowest customer confidence and support in its history and you honestly think its in a better shape than when you took over? If you put your hand up to the Industry and said we $#%^ed up with the new platform you might get some respect but to think you did a good job on that then unfortunately that white van is only going to be on a one way trip.   

ps

Always remember you signed off the biggest %$#^ up in the NZRB's long history.     

 

 

We have supported the work of the MAC since it was established in December and have confidence in their
approach and direction.

 

 

 

 

             

 

Sorry Lights out but you ignore relevant factors . When you are flogging a dead horse you are doomed to fail if you don't take dramatic steps .

Racing is DOOMED , the lack of moving with the times over the last 30 YEARS has made a revival very difficult so a big investment is needed , the new betting platform is intended to take NZ gambling to the world  and invite international interest in  betting on NZ  racing and  worldwide Sports , time will judge success or failure , nothing wrong with an overdraft  if eventually profits aree made , on things for sure , doing nothing will guarantee failure . 

''30 years ago Lotto approached the TAB and asked if they would be interested in selling their gambling product in TAB outlets. The Board turned them away '' , What's that got to do with racings boards of recent times , it's probably like trainers and clubs who today who still today refuse to accept change must happen for racing to survive .

As for Winston , that's easy , '''  how thick can someone be their approach and direction was initiated by the Racing Minister who had no confidence in the approach and direction of the path the NZRB was taking with you as the CEO acting on behalf of the Racing Industry.''''  This surly is a joke  , look at what's happened , Racefields deliberately delayed by Winston so making sure the RBs finance  strategy was undermined , racefields delayed for 18 months which has cost the industry at least $18 million (RB estimates ) . The point is the timing of the reinstatement of race fields is about Winston's re election not racing welfare .

As for this time will judge this board  but this , """Glenda a $50 million dollar liability, $30 million in debt, and an Organisation with the lowest customer confidence and support in its history and you honestly think its in a better shape than when you took over? If you put your hand up to the Industry and said we $#%^ed up with the new platform you might get some respect but to think you did a good job on that then unfortunately that white van is only going to be on a one way trip.  '''

We simply don't know if it's a f/up , time will tell , sure a bunch of rapidly aging racing supporters who don't like change but if they are the only hope racing has the racing is truly Doomed , again only time will tell .

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bernard's blog states that they are actively negotiating the outsourcing of the TAB with MAC.

Going for the jugular. Unseemly haste it seems to be.

Could be the death rattle of all codes.

Sports betting would survive probably but with little return to Sports NZ.

The epitaph is being written.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now