RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
pole

N.Z Racing

Two meetings abandoned in a week.Or have I missed a meeting somewhere?

What has happened to a once boyent industry in n.z? It would be interesting to know how many meetings Te Awamutu has lost.

Just now, pole said:

What has happened to a once bouyant industry in n.z?

I watched the Michael Walker "Off the track" Documentary's  over the weekend - It showed a replay of Smiling like winning the Wellington cup in the year 2000 - Infield was PACKED with cars and patrons and really shocked me how much has changed in the last 19 years......:rcf-sad-4:

18 hours ago, pole said:

Two meetings abandoned in a week.Or have I missed a meeting somewhere?

What has happened to a once boyent industry in n.z? It would be interesting to know how many meetings Te Awamutu has lost.

Te Akau Monday Update

17 Jun 2019

David writes:

This morning I went on to the NZTR website to see what the official reason was for the abandonment of the racing at Waipa yesterday, Sunday.

I thought surely the Chairman and CEO would have comments on the debacle but NOT ONE word except a two liner that said: “The Waipa Races have been abandoned due to track issues. Please see New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) website for further information in the following days.”

These cancellations are happening so often these days that is is not even “news” now, it’s becoming “expected”.

It’s an absolute disgrace they way our industry is being run at a national level and I am calling for those the leadership of NZTR to resign.

Recently that very same Board wanted to close down Avondale, one of our best tracks – we would be yet another track down so where are we going to race? It’s all so very sad.

We have a government that has funds for an all-weather track yet NZTR hasn’t even formally announced where it is going and the timetable for it. It didn’t even ask Clubs for an expression of interest in where it would be established.

Should the all-weather track be at Ellerslie, Counties, Matamata, Te Aroha or even Taupo? I am not pushing for one venue over another but I am firmly of the view that proper and thorough research needs to take place and yet there is no real evidence of this.

One thing I do know is that NZTR keeps programming trials and race meetings on some tracks that can’t take safe racing – we are no hope of attracting and keeping new owners!

I honestly hoped I would never have to say this but I am now officially calling on the NZTR leadership to resign – you have failed this industry.

Surely the owners who spent all their money taking their horses to Waipa for the races on Sunday (and the trials there previously that were also called off) deserve an explanation from NZTR on the debacle – and surely someone at the top has to accept total responsibility and do the honourable thing.

1 hour ago, Kingshill said:

I watched the Michael Walker "Off the track" Documentary's  over the weekend - It showed a replay of Smiling like winning the Wellington cup in the year 2000 - Infield was PACKED with cars and patrons and really shocked me how much has changed in the last 19 years......:rcf-sad-4:

While it is sad to see, this is not only a racing problem, same thing with all sports these days.   I remember back in the 90's a NPC game for the ranfurly shield stopped the entire town/city where the game was being played and half the nation.   Hell, I couldn't even tell you who holds it now.

Following the abandonment of Sunday’s meeting at Te Awamutu NZTR advises that the Waipa RC will bring forward planned remedial work on the track.

NZTR held extensive discussions with the club officials and the RIU, while the track, in particular the section where Gingee fell on Sunday, was also subject to inspection.  Both the raceday video and post-event inspection of the track were inconclusive as to whether the fall was due to track inconsistency.  

This was the fourth race meeting from past seven programmed at the Te Awamutu track to be abandoned and has resulted in the decision being made to bring forward the planned club-funded work originally scheduled for October.

While the track will be open for training purposes NZTR advises it will be closed for racing and alternative venues sought for the club’s scheduled trial and race dates.

A decision around a return to racing and trialling at Te Awamutu will be made by NZTR upon completion of work on the track and consultation with the NZ Trainers’ Association and NZ Jockeys’ Association.

Were going up to Allblacks v Scotland June 1975 for the test but could hardly see the road because of the storm going up the island.So made a management decision to turn left and go to the races at Te Awamutu couldnt see a race it was that much rain but no they kept racing .

Getting out of the carpark after was hilarious it was like a stock car race .But a great day at the races.

19 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

Were going up to Allblacks v Scotland June 1975 for the test but could hardly see the road because of the storm going up the island.So made a management decision to turn left and go to the races at Te Awamutu couldnt see a race it was that much rain but no they kept racing .

Getting out of the carpark after was hilarious it was like a stock car race .But a great day at the races.

Nothings changed, the same carpet etc inside & the outside seating is still dusty and covered in birdshit. If they leave it another 5 yrs the carpet will be back in vogue.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:06 AM, Boss Hogg said:

I think I was there that day BH. Rain never let up. Main race was won by the rank outsider that paid 3 figures or thereabouts.

Hi Blue  I was out chopping branches away from the power lines trying to remember back that far .you could be right but I remember going over to Waipanot long after that to see this Rotorua horse race .It was trained here by  I  think Frank Fuller .Ray Verner had this gun horse called Dumar who was a certainty.

Dumar was called in first and Fullers horse came right down the outside of the track and after a while they changed the call.All us big time know alls never touched it except one .We were very friendly to him onthe way home haha. Just a thing on that wet day earlier after we got out of carpark like everyone we all had hypothermia we went to the local pub we needed a beer and they were serving big bowls of soap for free so everyone could thaw out can you imagine anyone doing that nowadays cheers BH

Boss Hogg and Blue the race was at the Taumaranui meeting at Waipa on the 26/7/75. Barwyn won by a head from Dumar and paid $140.65 and $25.95. He was a massive horse by the obscure Golovine stallion Isobar trained by his Rotorua owner trainer TP Fuller. I was there that day and had a dollar each way on him because he was ridden by Tauranga apprentice Mike Sullivan. Mike and I at that time rode a lot of track work at Tauranga where he did his apprenticeship with his Uncle Syd Sullivan.

Thanks Gubes  good to see the old brain is just working All Black game was in June and remember some of the boys were pretty sure he could win. The rest of us that new better never backed it .Thanks for info BH

12 hours ago, arjay said:

Make Waipa a training venue?  I hate the place with it's dummy straight. Maybe a case for all weather then, but no it's on the close list

Close all these goat tracks and build one super racing centre. Build it and they will come!

Champion bloke M.D Sullivan. Have to admit, he was my idol back in those days. Great front running rides on Hudu, Air New Zealand apprentice special on Gold Wire for Jack Winder. Wow, going back a bit now. Almost killed at Rotorua I think, still see him around the traps, used to help out at Waikato RC. No better bloke, so down to earth! Went and saw him four times in 10 days at the hospital, the ups and downs of the racing game!

Chris spot on. Yes that fall at Rotorua ended his riding career. We had great times riding work together at Tauranga. One time he had a leg in a cast. We rode a track gallop together! Amazing. Later he trained a grey mare at Te Rapa called Turning Point. She won a race at Paeroa on the 14/3/81 ridden by Brian York.

4 hours ago, gubellini said:

Boss Hogg and Blue the race was at the Taumaranui meeting at Waipa on the 26/7/75. Barwyn won by a head from Dumar and paid $140.65 and $25.95. He was a massive horse by the obscure Golovine stallion Isobar trained by his Rotorua owner trainer TP Fuller. I was there that day and had a dollar each way on him because he was ridden by Tauranga apprentice Mike Sullivan. Mike and I at that time rode a lot of track work at Tauranga where he did his apprenticeship with his Uncle Syd Sullivan.

you are a legend Gubes..

21 hours ago, gubellini said:

Gubes - is Snow still around?

On 6/19/2019 at 8:12 PM, Chris Wood said:

Champion bloke M.D Sullivan. Have to admit, he was my idol back in those days. Great front running rides on Hudu, Air New Zealand apprentice special on Gold Wire for Jack Winder. Wow, going back a bit now. Almost killed at Rotorua I think, still see him around the traps, used to help out at Waikato RC. No better bloke, so down to earth! Went and saw him four times in 10 days at the hospital, the ups and downs of the racing game!

Hi Chris  Great memories I remember Hudu one tough horse .We went to Whanganui to a Wednesday meeting and Hudu raced there dont think it came anywhere .But was owned  and trained by Ron Dando and his hardcase mates .Were in the pub after and they turned up with Hudu in the float .They then took Hudu to Wellington for Saturday races not sure but dont think Hudu came anywhere,  then they travelled north to Avondale on the tuesday and think Hudu won there, I think Ive got it right but brain a bit foggy cheers