RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tim vince

It's finally

Auckland just raised their stakes.     More horses just been sold overseas.    This tells me that there are  other factors involved too.      What are they.        Is not enough thought being put into trying to find the solution rather than the cause and why there is still a stampede of horses of all abilities queued up for the next plane out.     It's a bit like the Phil Twyford plan - build houses and then wonder why they cannot be sold/rented.    First thing I think they want is a monthly gathering of interested stakeholders to discuss the pros and cons of the month gone and what needs to be done or tried for future to improve the situation.      The meeting to be open to all who want to attend not just  a gathering of 'me and my mates".         Yes, there is a shortage of stock (due to past mis-management?) but regardless of this what is left cannot be altered and has to be utilised in the best possible manner, both for the immediate and also the long time future.         

29 minutes ago, eljay said:

Auckland just raised their stakes.     More horses just been sold overseas.    This tells me that there are  other factors involved too.      What are they.        Is not enough thought being put into trying to find the solution rather than the cause and why there is still a stampede of horses of all abilities queued up for the next plane out.     It's a bit like the Phil Twyford plan - build houses and then wonder why they cannot be sold/rented.    First thing I think they want is a monthly gathering of interested stakeholders to discuss the pros and cons of the month gone and what needs to be done or tried for future to improve the situation.      The meeting to be open to all who want to attend not just  a gathering of 'me and my mates".         Yes, there is a shortage of stock (due to past mis-management?) but regardless of this what is left cannot be altered and has to be utilised in the best possible manner, both for the immediate and also the long time future.         

You have to correctly identify the cause before you develop solutions.  

There are multiple reasons for the lack of numbers. 

Strategic policies need to be developed to address each issue which contributes.

For example if overnight  10 different licensed persons turned up with a couple of horses,are there the facilities available to train from. Is there any type of networking amongst trainers as to advise others of facilities being available for lease. Does there need to be an attitude change from licensed holders with properties with spare facilities who currently moan about lack of numbers,but in the next breath say no to someone wanting to rent a couple of empty paddocks and stalls from them.  

In my opinion for  progress to be made everyone needs to be unselfish and look to the greater good. There are many links in the chain,and the failure to address anyone of them weakens the chain. 

IT sounds like the 2 workshops being held by the atc are a good starting point.

Having the right group of people leading the implementation of developed policies is very important. You need people who are respected and are known to get results along with being impartial.

Deal in facts, Race a horse and pay all your bills, then look at the returns. A horse these days is a total cash loss unless you fluke a good one and they are few. It costs at least $1500 a month in training fees. plus extras, so now look at the stakes and work out how good you need to be. Breeding is another waste of money, go to a good sire and you might break even with a good mare. Many breeders actually sit down and think about the bloodlines they are creating and then sell at the sales for bugger all. Yet a hack goes to Bettors Delight, the bidders get an erection and the seller is very happy. The days of Harness racing into the future are very short unless changes are made to spread the stakes and returns to the long suffering owner, the one at the bottom of the pile. The one who pays the Bills, Trainers complain about low returns but most of the end up with a lump of freehold land on retirement and many can buy at the sales for good money, the best are doing well, the grass roots are dying, and now very quickly.

9 hours ago, micktap said:

Agree with What a Post.The reality is there are just not enough horses in the north.The clubs are trying to match like for like but you can't have 20 races with 5 horse in each.Would these owners who say their horse is no longer competitive be willing to race in a claimer where they are competitive but with the chance someone else will buy it?Nellie-you had a young horse who went up the grades early and a older horse who had won a lot of races and was coming down the grades-surely at some stage one or the other would have been competitive or were the costs too high to get to this stage.

What would a professional trainer recommend to an owner when there is a good offer on the table from a reputable Aussie stable for a horse that has had over 20 starts since its last win for just 3rds but lots of 4ths and 5ths so hardly moving in ratings?  And what is best for the horse?

7 hours ago, tim vince said:

1500 not in the north monthly bills usually 2k up up up.spreading the pie is very important.auckland stakes are going to continue and 400 odd starting fee is a big incentive.good meeting tonight .

The $400 starting fee is for the $20k races which despite the promises are few and far between now.  Most horses race for the $15k stake (which is way better than anywhere else to be fair), get $300 for turning up - take off the driving fee and transport and there's not a lot left to put toward that monthly training fee if you don't run in the money. 

Unfortunately most owners just grin and bear it.      We know most trainers are doing okay (many overseas "holiday" trips annually attest to this)      I don't begrudge them such holidays, but some seem to cry poor one week and then are on the silver bird the next.     I think what the Industry needs right now is honesty starting from the top.      And we all know there have been a multitude of not so truths bandied around to the extent that you really don't know what to believe or not.

5 hours ago, eljay said:

Unfortunately most owners just grin and bear it.      We know most trainers are doing okay (many overseas "holiday" trips annually attest to this)      I don't begrudge them such holidays, but some seem to cry poor one week and then are on the silver bird the next.     I think what the Industry needs right now is honesty starting from the top.      And we all know there have been a set up heremultitude of not so truths bandied around to the extent that you really don't know what to believe or not.

No new owners, no new breeders. less horses to race for smaller stakes in Canterbury, we need to rethink what the hell is going on. The system needs a good look at.. The  race fixing stuff that is going  has killed betting on harness turnover, many months on now, time to put up or go to hell with this crap. Bet the dish lickers and the gallops are gaining and loving this. I think might be a setup here, Nobody in harness will ever be convicted, but shit sticks.