RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
what a post

mick guerin

Clearly has difficulty with the definition of a relationship.

Look the fella is a a glorified sports reporter for a newspaper , by default he has become the racing editor for that same paper and look at where it's gone..... on the 2nd biggest day of racing at the MET the paper had fields akin to greyhound form.

Clearly suffers from delusions of grandeur as many comments are pretty basic and a background of stablehand jobs certainly doesn't reinforce the " qualifications ",

Academia  , well lets just say DONT GO THERE.

An anecdotal genius he may be.

I hear on National Radio today media commentator Gavin Ellis made mention of Mick Guerin's journalism on the racing pages.

He noted he puts 'human interest' into his racing stories.

It seems like MG is a very talented Journalist .......knows an awful lot about Harness , learning more all the time about gallops and knows a lot of the big players.

Add to this  his knowledge on rugby ,his verbal talents ,he still looks good , he comfortable with MC roles and gets work with League as well and sports in general and one could conclude NZ Racing is lucky to have him.

Brought up on the West Coast , surely the best pedigree around and putting more and more skin into the game with ownership he appears the complete package.

Aussie harness use him and I gather he is currently on deck at Royal Ascot.....WOW !

I often read on here negative comments about his writing , his personality and his pronunciation etc.

Is this just envy ?

Yes I remember he was once sacked by NZ Racing Board.....but that 9 years ago...he well and truly back.

He's very good IMO !

5 hours ago, Taku Umanga said:

Does he still think horses wear spreaders so their knees don't hit each other?

Unsure re this comment !!

Did he get it wrong ? If he did , is this a big deal or game changer ?

On the HRNZ website under Harness gears it pretty much confirms that spreaders are used on horses front legs to keep them apart while racing as to stop them striking their knees or shins.

Please explain ?

4 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

Unsure re this comment !!

Did he get it wrong ? If he did , is this a big deal or game changer ?

On the HRNZ website under Harness gears it pretty much confirms that spreaders are used on horses front legs to keep them apart while racing as to stop them striking their knees or shins.

Please explain ?

He did get it wrong - its was pretty funny ...

Theres no doubting Mick Guerin is a knowledgeable man, Nowdays i think he  makes the more run of the mill harness meetings enjoyable to watch when he is the studio presenter.

He seems to have a better choice of words now. In the past he had  alienated some viewers and horses  connections with unnecessary derogatory comments on the possible quality of the horses running, effectively undermining the achievements of the successful connections who have friends, work colleagues and family watching. That was in the past,now he mostly has a far more respectful choice of words.

I think he  still lacks balance when it comes to discussing possible negatives when it comes to certain stories and stables.He could do that in a respectful way but simply chooses not to go there.  For example his misleading information about the atc . That's my opinion of mick Guerin. 

He is talented - knows what he is talking about and is prepared to go out on a limb with an opinion.

Unfortunately there are always people who will choose not to like a character, or discount a person's ability because they think they are a bit flash or posh or have $ or whatever. Human nature.

Chelseacol.I see your posts more numerous than Nz POST, but alas you are totally wrong re the MG. I do like him but cutting edge opinion ? not these days.... has an opinion as long as it does not go against company policy... eg HRNZ....All Stars... etc (i dont blame him.. whoever pays the piper . calls the ...MG tune)   lets not pretend ... Mick has not gone out on a limb   CHELS... since his west coast days !!!

13 minutes ago, john legend said:

Chelseacol.I see your posts more numerous than Nz POST, but alas you are totally wrong re the MG. I do like him but cutting edge opinion ? not these days.... has an opinion as long as it does not go against company policy... eg HRNZ....All Stars... etc (i dont blame him.. whoever pays the piper . calls the ...MG tune)   lets not pretend ... Mick has not gone out on a limb   CHELS... since his west coast days !!!

Not hard to post more than NZ Post so not sure if that is a criticism or not ;-)

Not sure I said he is cutting edge - but he says what he thinks more often than not, analyses a race and says how he sees it panning out, and some of his Informant articles were top notch.

Each to their own.

2 hours ago, chelseacol said:

He is talented - knows what he is talking about and is prepared to go out on a limb with an opinion.

Unfortunately there are always people who will choose not to like a character, or discount a person's ability because they think they are a bit flash or posh or have $ or whatever. Human nature.

With you on this one Col inasmuch as we need proponents of and for the industry. Cafers constantly bemoaning the lack of newspaper coverage of racing generally and especially harness promotion but the moment someone comes along with a depth of knowledge and an opinion (which we all have, I might add, hence Racecafe) the tall poppy syndrome comes into play. Often he says what many of us are thinking. The industry needs more like him. The Aussies have plenty of them.

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

With you on this one Col inasmuch as we need proponents of and for the industry. Cafers constantly bemoaning the lack of newspaper coverage of racing generally and especially harness promotion but the moment someone comes along with a depth of knowledge and an opinion (which we all have, I might add, hence Racecafe) the tall poppy syndrome comes into play. Often he says what many of us are thinking. The industry needs more like him. The Aussies have plenty of them.

Cheers Blue

as always with you mate straight and to the point. 

3 hours ago, chelseacol said:

Some simply don't agree with what he says sometimes, or more precisely  fails to say, because they have different opinions.. simple as that.

You seem to infer mick Guerin is flash,posh and has $.  I am unaware of that,and  well done to him if he does have a few $,

Everyone has different types and levels of involvement in the sport ,and you are always going to get differing opinions because of that,.People like to see an all inclusive public voice for their thinking,and I think some don't think mick Guerin does that on some issues. Hence the criticism he may get.

M Guerin. I would rather have him in our industry than out of it. 

There isn't a journalist anywhere (apart from Ron Burgundy) where 100% of the captive audience are in agreement with them. 

Trackside lost him after his sacking a few years back, and it was poorer for it.