poundforpound

Win a $1000 bar tab at HQ

35 posts in this topic

Couldn't agree more  and by comparison the lazy Ngapuhi of the north bought the Warriors and went belly up

Bought the Homestead Tavern at Keri Keri and went belly up and tried to develop a bogus water export business ending up $10 mill in the red now the collective Iwi cant even agree on the terms of reference for their treaty settlement.All they have is outstretched hands and a whole lot of vacant land.

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Ted, if Racing collapses it’s because it’s neither competitive nor sustainable.....why would the gummint intervene when an industry fits that description, any more than it should intervene if say the goat industry collapsed ( as it did ).

If your time is up, and you haven’t adapted, or your ,leadership and use of assets is so chronically dysfunctional, then you should be left to die a natural death. It’s called survival of the fittest Ted....

ah yes, so you are advocating the 'survival of the fittest' strategy, p4p..All very well in theory ...but did that principle/approach get applied to (ailing) outfits called Air New Zealand, Bank of New Zealand and South Canterbury Finance...they were unsustainable and uncompetitive (ie broke) too as I recall ...who got them out of the shite? Capitalist takeovers? No. Taxpayers of this country.

If theres' millions available for America's Cup challenges/defences (justified by 'return on investment') I don't see why some taxpayer money cant be allocated to sort out NZ Racing.

NZ Gummints (representing taxpayers) have been taking gazillions in levies and various other taxes for decades, including a %-age from every bet ever placed. time for payback, in order to adapt to the challenges of 21st century sport and technology..

Yes we bailed them out and now theres no money for some cancer treatments.

Some of those bailouts were mind boggling.

How many of the bailed out finance companies still trade today.

BNZ bank....we no longer own,at least we do have a major share in Air NZ.

Chch stadium to cost 520m not counting the operating cost of 15m per year and the list goes on.

A stand has to be made somewhere.No more.

1 hour ago, weasel57 said:

ah yes, so you are advocating the 'survival of the fittest' strategy, p4p..All very well in theory ...but did that principle/approach get applied to (ailing) outfits called Air New Zealand, Bank of New Zealand and South Canterbury Finance...they were unsustainable and uncompetitive (ie broke) too as I recall ...who got them out of the shite? Capitalist takeovers? No. Taxpayers of this country.

If theres' millions available for America's Cup challenges/defences (justified by 'return on investment') I don't see why some taxpayer money cant be allocated to sort out NZ Racing.

NZ Gummints (representing taxpayers) have been taking gazillions in levies and various other taxes for decades, including a %-age from every bet ever placed. time for payback, in order to adapt to the challenges of 21st century sport and technology..

Not to mentiion AMI & the $1.5b bailout.

8 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Tom is correct 

No gummint should ever help racing until we develop tools to utilise our billions in real estate assets, until we stop wasting all our money on stakes,  and until we have a clear strategy that’ll bring this industry up to global standards and make it sustainable 

I had the pleasure of attending Destiny Church this morning, Sir Mark Solomon spoke ( as did I ) on Ngai Tahu and their treaty settlement.

The state owed Ngai Tahu 16-20 billion according to Treasury and Credit Suisse (sp?) for treaty breaches and stolen land, but the gummint said our offer is 170 million, take it or leave it...so Ngai Tahu took it because they’d already spent 20million fighting for a settlement, and they backed themselves to use the 170 million well.

At the end of this last financial year Ngai Tahu had 1.9 billion in net assets 

Do I need to tell you the moral of the story ??

Careful  p4p. Ngai Tahu operate against commercial operations yet they pay no tax. Their competition is legally obliged to do so

They effectively can't lose on that basis 

Greg

23 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Government announces extra millions for America's Cup - NZ Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12171240

The article says: The extra funding will take the Government’s contribution to the Auckland Waterfront Development to 136.5 Million!

16 hours ago, Leggy said:

The difference is that the farmer pays for the fertiliser from the increased production. He/she doesn't ask the taxpayer to pay for it.

You miss the point Leggy. The farmer in this case is represented by the government. If you will, liken to the goose who lays the golden eggs....it needs feeding every now and then otherwise the goose will die and you will receive nothing.  

And that is the reasoning in answer to the question raised by P4P. He did ask for one fair reason and if I am fair, it is the only reason for this to occur.       

17 hours ago, Blue said:

Couldn't agree more  and by comparison the lazy Ngapuhi of the north bought the Warriors and went belly up

Bought the Homestead Tavern at Keri Keri and went belly up and tried to develop a bogus water export business ending up $10 mill in the red now the collective Iwi cant even agree on the terms of reference for their treaty settlement.All they have is outstretched hands and a whole lot of vacant land.

Ngapuhi haven’t settled their treaty claim yet so I’m not sure of the relevance of your claims 

Racing in New Zealand.

Racing has provided some of our greatest sporting moments such as Phar Lap or Sunline. These moments get passed down each generation. They are a source of pride. My children will know what the photo of Sunline on the bookshelf really means. Memories and stories stay with a family and they are a powerful tool.

Teachers are amazing and the health service is indispensable however they are needs for society. Racing is something that inspires people and creates passion. These are reasons to live.

Racing deserves investment from the people of New Zealand, it has earnt it right to be at the table.