poundforpound

Wasn’t the budget great for racing !!!

25 posts in this topic

yeh yeh point taken as a $47.5mm fillip spread over 4 years aint going to alter a hell of a lot.

However a new regime and Racing Act from July headed by somebody most of us, including yourgoodself Leo, who will apply the blowtorch to the low hanging fruit and then the higher hanging fruit will bring some impetus and direction to what's become an unsustainable model.

The Board will change. Senior management will change. The modus operandi will change. I'd liken it to Restaurant Brands on the NZX - once labelled a dog with a share price under $3 that's now five years later close to $9

That's how long, and some,  change will take in this industry as the code bodies and clubs go down kicking and screaming....

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

yeh yeh point taken as a $47.5mm fillip spread over 4 years aint going to alter a hell of a lot.

However a new regime and Racing Act from July headed by somebody most of us, including yourgoodself Leo, who will apply the blowtorch to the low hanging fruit and then the higher hanging fruit will bring some impetus and direction to what's become an unsustainable model.

The Board will change. Senior management will change. The modus operandi will change. I'd liken it to Restaurant Brands on the NZX - once labelled a dog with a share price under $3 that's now five years later close to $9

That's how long, and some,  change will take in this industry as the code bodies and clubs go down kicking and screaming....

I wish I shared your hopefulness Eclipsed. I'm not sure that adding impetus to an unsustainable model is likely to help if that's what you are suggesting.

2 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Winnie has delivered again

De Lore must be ecstatic

All my critics must be saying “he was wrong all along”

Prosperity is upon us, let’s crack open a bottle of good champers and book a holiday in the Bahamas 

What’s your point?

15 hours ago, poundforpound said:

De Lore must be ecstatic

All my critics must be saying “he was wrong all along”

Prosperity is upon us, let’s crack open a bottle of good champers and book a holiday in the Bahamas 

disappointing that any positive developments for racing are slagged by you as sarcastically as all the negative ones. 

2 hours ago, weasel57 said:

disappointing that any positive developments for racing are slagged by you as sarcastically as all the negative ones. 

I think you meant to say “isn’t it amazing how you’re always correct, the pity is we didn’t heed your markings years ago”.

On 5/31/2019 at 6:36 PM, poundforpound said:

Heard on the grapevine (from one of my impeccable sources) that the accountant guy who is being investigated by accountants society and same one that held high positions in the Breeders soc. and WRC has been giving Winnie advice.

On 6/1/2019 at 12:27 PM, poundforpound said:

I think you meant to say “isn’t it amazing how you’re always correct, the pity is we didn’t heed your markings years ago”.

No, I meant to say exactly what I wrote. Here is another way of saying exactly what I meant:

1 A typically negative, nasty, cynical post from p4p. He manages to see only the cloud in every silver lining.

Problem is, money is not going to fix NZ Racing - unless there’s a agreeable and sensible Plan to spend it wisely. No amount of money can replace great leadership and that’s precisely what NZ Racing has missed. You don’t have to be a betting wizard to lead NZ Racing. You just have to appreciate how important it is to NZR, research the options that will best serve NZR and once agreed, find/hire the best person to advise on final decision and implementation. Throwing money through tax breaks etc won’t solve the problems. WP threw millions of $ at racing and didn’t he personally say the proviso was it had to go in Stakes for a few G1 races? What has it done for NZ Racing?

2 hours ago, weasel57 said:

No, I meant to say exactly what I wrote. Here is another way of saying exactly what I meant:

1 A typically negative, nasty, cynical post from p4p. He manages to see only the cloud in every silver lining.

No, you meant to say “I wish I understood policy and politics like the mighty maestro P4P because he always gets it right and the rest of us are forever left intellectually stranded, high and dry, in the great ocean of political life”

FYI I give casual raving advice to the political intelligentsia and they subscribe to my views

5 hours ago, poundforpound said:

FYI I give casual raving advice to the political intelligentsia and they subscribe to my views

yeah I watched a few of them during the introduction of the bill last week.. obviously Brownlee (I can't remember the name of Wellingtons racecourse), Nathan Guy (the racing industry are the only people getting a tax cut this year), Nicki Kaye, Bennett all took your advice and sounded like backwards idiots doing it

1 hour ago, drewandjo said:

yeah I watched a few of them during the introduction of the bill last week.. obviously Brownlee (I can't remember the name of Wellingtons racecourse), Nathan Guy (the racing industry are the only people getting a tax cut this year), Nicki Kaye, Bennett all took your advice and sounded like backwards idiots doing it

And that’s exactly what you’ve got coming.....but you can’t see it, good luck, they don’t care about you....not one ounce, they don’t give a F about you whingers who worship silly fxxxxing Winston 

Saw the debate,

Embarrassing and sickening

Brownlee = "Racing is boring"

N Smith = "Racings corrupt", not unlike one N Smith 

McAnulty = auditioning for Hamlet

Kaye = hot air - same old mantra for 10 mins , 10 mins of talking and saying nothing , it's an art , one which John Allan has also mastered well

Curran = wtf is she still doing there , obviously on the Gerry diet , couldn't tell if she was for or against Racing ?

O'Connor = did he mention "his granny showing him Charlestown racecourse in the SI" ?

McKelvie , thought you were going to help racing , yeh yeh we all know "the Racing season starts July 1st". 

And the WORST of all

The smarmiest prick in the whole place , the prick who did nothing for racing the whole time he was Minister for Racing and hand balled the port folio to Weak as p*ss Bennett mere months out from an election Nathan Guy - fark me - he actually speaks !!!!!

And didn't he have plenty to say the sanctimonious little prick .

The Messara report has been out for nearly a year , not a few months pillock.

He should have been hung drawn and quartered by the Industry but no , once again , not a peep.

Peters - well, we sold our soul to get him in there, likely to be only one term but the competition is going just as bad as this lot so who knows, I think we get one shot and this is it, there will never be anybody else we can slingshot into Parliament to put any case forward unless we groom someone like a John Wheeler who knows how it is and doesn't take shit and isn't a puppet for vested interests..

Just my view 

And that’s exactly what you’ve got coming.....but you can’t see it, good luck, they don’t care about you....not one ounce, they don’t give a F about you whingers who worship silly fxxxxing Winston  
 Have 

Have you read the transcript from parliament?

According to national the current members of the racing industry board have done a great job in challenging times....

Gerry b says racing is dull and boring and shouldn't be getting any help also couldn't name where they race at wellington....sounds like he takes a interest in racing ….

You read it p4p ,easy to see why after 9 years in power they did zilch for racing and are now trying to stop anything Winston trys to do to fix it.

Do you really want a national racing minister in charge of this industry?

If you want to make a submission, you better hurry. Submissions were called for on Thursday 30th May and close tomorrow, Tuesday June 3rd. That should bring some well thought out input given 3 of the interim days were a long weekend.

5 hours ago, winx21 said:

And that’s exactly what you’ve got coming.....but you can’t see it, good luck, they don’t care about you....not one ounce, they don’t give a F about you whingers who worship silly fxxxxing Winston  
 Have 

Have you read the transcript from parliament?

According to national the current members of the racing industry board have done a great job in challenging times....

Gerry b says racing is dull and boring and shouldn't be getting any help also couldn't name where they race at wellington....sounds like he takes a interest in racing ….

You read it p4p ,easy to see why after 9 years in power they did zilch for racing and are now trying to stop anything Winston trys to do to fix it.

Do you really want a national racing minister in charge of this industry?

The point I was trying to make is that we WILL get another National Minister For Racing......eventually, and because of this industry’s intimate relationship with Winston, and hostility to National, you’ll get no favours from a future Minister.

I spend a bit of time trying to help my friends within the Nats understand racing, but it doesn’t help when they know all the internutters are agin them.

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

The point I was trying to make is that we WILL get another National Minister For Racing......eventually, and because of this industry’s intimate relationship with Winston, and hostility to National, you’ll get no favours from a future Minister.

I spend a bit of time trying to help my friends within the Nats understand racing, but it doesn’t help when they know all the internutters are agin them.

at least you're versatile...

I doubt a future national racing minister could do any worse than the last 3 especially Nathan guy.

National has lost the racing vote for a very long time I would think.

If Winston can get these changes through will be hard to undo and future racing minister probably wouldn't have much to do anyway.

31 minutes ago, winx21 said:

I doubt a future national racing minister could do any worse than the last 3 especially Nathan guy.

National has lost the racing vote for a very long time I would think.

If Winston can get these changes through will be hard to undo and future racing minister probably wouldn't have much to do anyway.

I would have thought he split the racing vote with a lot of the recommendations in the M Report particularly around the dissolvement of clubs and their assets(whether that occurs or not) , he sucked me in to vote for him based on the betterment of racing , won't be sucked in again however.  

More and more of of the changes happening in racing appear to be band aids instead of real solutions and I get the impression we will see a similar outcome to the Fairtax campaign i.e. the $$$ and improvements/assistance not going to areas that will really improve racing in the long term.