RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
lamour

Acceptance Fees Disapear?

Since the new website went live I note programs no longer state whether  a race has acceptance fees.  Is this an oversight or have acceptance fees been eliminated or do they simply not want to give us that info because they know the fees are irrational ?    I suspect the latter.  I guess the owners will find out after the fee has been deducted from their stake earnings. 

Acceptance fees have been dispensed with for ages.     You will only find them in the big stakes races - and the main reason they there (I think) is to boost the stake in an endeavour to make the top races look better staked than they really are.

Acceptance fees on the big group races is a real have. Owners of unplaced horses at Addington end up with less money than unplaced horses in supporting races on the same day. Also, the practice falsely inflates earnings of those horses performing poorly in open class races. If only the net earning were used (stake - nomination fee), it would be more obvious to all that some of our top rated horses are earning less than R40-50 horses with a lot fewer racing opportunities. Just one more factor contributing to our horse exodus.

5 hours ago, eljay said:

Acceptance fees have been dispensed with for ages.     You will only find them in the big stakes races - and the main reason they there (I think) is to boost the stake in an endeavour to make the top races look better staked than they really are.

Acceptance fees are still allowed on any group race. You will find Addington apply them to any race with a stake of 30k or more, except for stakes races such as Sires Stakes etc.  They are by far the worst offender in this regard.   It appears HRNZ have taken advantage of the new website to be less than transparent.  Under the old site all races listed on each clubs programs  stated  the acceptance fee as part of the conditions.   In cases of no fee they would state  “Nil”.  Now for group races they do not inform connections if and how much the fees are.  I don’t think that is acceptable.