RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Hangfire

Winston gets the betting duty back for racing as promised

1 hour ago, tripple alliance said:

Well I guess the statement , the rich are cleaver is true , that's why they have succeeded , their efforts are well rewarded because they are cleaver  , if the loopholes are there then why not use them ,  this isn't relevant .  The fact is they high earners are paying most of the tax .

You might be right about medium wage earners who claim little and pay for everything but low earners effectively pay NO  tax , ZERO , is that fair to Top and Medium earners ? . In the racing world I suspect many don't much pay tax , certainly any trainer with a business will be claiming all expenses and won't be paying tax , a good argument to boost racing incomes .

the rich are not clever' at all.

The system of  private central banking maintains the status quo of  the few benefiting at the expense of the many.

Privelege and luck are the important factors.

The uber wealthy do not pay tax.Thats for the 'little people'.

52 minutes ago, Berri said:

You've all got you heads so far up some space that the black hole couldn't recognise where.

All the larger earners do is follow the rules that a bunch of bureaucrats and lawyers have stated are the rules. These rules are available to everyone, open source and transparent. This bullshit about paying tax is a lot of crap. Our issue is that we have had people who haven't known what the puzzle is, run racing. We continue to have that. We have poor leadership, poor middle management and poor constituent participants who are not able to express themselves correctly that leads to conflict, inefficiency and chaos. If you read most of the responses in this thread you will realise that most of you haven't thought this through and you're reacting from only your own personal perspectives.

Leggy is right though....no mention that a member of RITA needs to be an expert in technology and gambling....big mistake

Do you think Racing may have started to go down hill from the moment people with no interest in it or passion for it started running things?

I have always found rather ignorant the suggestion that Racing people are too thick to run their own show. And don't anyone suggest that Racing people haven't done much of a job running the show in the past. I would suggest that it is probably about 25-30 years since Racing people have been actively involved in running the show. Getting outsiders in hasn't worked too well so far.

The problem hasn't been people who have no interest or passion. The rot started 25 odd years ago when the wrong sort of person has been selected to run the show. Gary Chittick is a successful horse person but as chairman of the RIB he was very very average because he didn't understand the business of betting, technology and media. He oversaw and supported the ownership of the TAB migrate from being owned by racing to being owned by the government. That was a major mistake which should have no reprieve. Remember that Sir Peter was a director of the TAB. Where we've really screwed up is the NZTR. That is a shambles of the highest accord. We should simply call it the junket board. Name one thing in 10 years, relating to racing, that has been successful.

Everything is too political. Everyone is hamstrung by everyone who feels they own a patch of racing territory that they think is important to them. Collectively nothing gets done. I also agree we need the right people at the head table. Why the mandate for appointment doesn't include someone who is an expert in betting and technology frightens me. It's like saying lets get a team together for the Americas Cup and lets forget about the boat builder. Strange way of thinking.

40 minutes ago, Berri said:

The problem hasn't been people who have no interest or passion. The rot started 25 odd years ago when the wrong sort of person has been selected to run the show. Gary Chittick is a successful horse person but as chairman of the RIB he was very very average because he didn't understand the business of betting, technology and media. He oversaw and supported the ownership of the TAB migrate from being owned by racing to being owned by the government. That was a major mistake which should have no reprieve. Remember that Sir Peter was a director of the TAB. Where we've really screwed up is the NZTR. That is a shambles of the highest accord. We should simply call it the junket board. Name one thing in 10 years, relating to racing, that has been successful.

Everything is too political. Everyone is hamstrung by everyone who feels they own a patch of racing territory that they think is important to them. Collectively nothing gets done. I also agree we need the right people at the head table. Why the mandate for appointment doesn't include someone who is an expert in betting and technology frightens me. It's like saying lets get a team together for the Americas Cup and lets forget about the boat builder. Strange way of thinking.

Strange indeed.

21 hours ago, Red Rum said:

I think you will find most rich are clever and use tax loopholes , maybe that new car is brought through a company which then gets depreciation , get refunds and all manner of cash backs.  Waged earner gets FA back and pays for everything .As everywhere those at top doing well , those at bottom looked after and those in middle pay for the lot of them up and down.

RR, you need to have a look at NZ Tax laws when talking about new cars.

Something call Fringe benefit Tax applies to cars, tax rate (last time I looked) 45%. Depreciation claim is slower than the drop in value of the car, no refunds at all and you keep paying the FBT on the purchase price value, not the current value. 

You should look at the Tax laws in NZ instead of making ridiculous proclamations about cars and refunds and cash backs.

Cheers

John

1 hour ago, John Clydesdale said:

RR, you need to have a look at NZ Tax laws when talking about new cars.

Something call Fringe benefit Tax applies to cars, tax rate (last time I looked) 45%. Depreciation claim is slower than the drop in value of the car, no refunds at all and you keep paying the FBT on the purchase price value, not the current value. 

You should look at the Tax laws in NZ instead of making ridiculous proclamations about cars and refunds and cash backs.

Cheers

John

Thanks for the education I appreciate it . 

Not being an expert on such matters why do I see painters  cruising round in shining  80 k vehicles with company logos when a 30k shiney van would do job and used to do job .Surely that is a waste of tax dollars when running a business is it not .Maybe they are just wallys. Personally I like my 80 k vehicles unlogoed. 

RR - A lot of companies now lease, or lease to own, as a means of getting the vehicle and paying a little more to do so, and then hand the vehicle back should they upgrade or go broke. It is still subject to tax implications which I won’t bore you with, but fair to say they are paying for the privilege in some way shape or form. 

A lot of people want to look the bis and are willing to pay the cash for it.

I prefer your logic personally.

cheers

John

4 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Not being an expert on such matters why do I see painters  cruising round in shining  80 k vehicles with company logos when a 30k shiney van would do job and used to do job .Surely that is a waste of tax dollars when running a business is it not .Maybe they are just wallys. Personally I like my 80 k vehicles unlogoed. 

Why is it that some people want to reduce everyone to a common denominator? Why shouldn’t we celebrate those that do very well and spend their money accordingly? Why does jealousy and envy raise its ugly head? Who employs those who have not got the drive and ambition to succeed at a higher level? The politics of envy are alive and well but must be resisted. America is one of the few countries I’ve experienced a mood of almost “worship” of those who have done well. We should take all poor people down to new car showrooms, new housing estates, boat yards etc and show them what could be theirs if they work hard, avoid pokies, save and get good advice. 

13 hours ago, Trump said:

Why is it that some people want to reduce everyone to a common denominator? Why shouldn’t we celebrate those that do very well and spend their money accordingly? Why does jealousy and envy raise its ugly head? Who employs those who have not got the drive and ambition to succeed at a higher level? The politics of envy are alive and well but must be resisted. America is one of the few countries I’ve experienced a mood of almost “worship” of those who have done well. We should take all poor people down to new car showrooms, new housing estates, boat yards etc and show them what could be theirs if they work hard, avoid pokies, save and get good advice. 

'and show them what could be theirs if they work hard,avoid pokies,save and get good advice'

At first I thought you were taking the piss.

I now realise you actually mean it.

How anyone with an understanding of  global financial machinations could arrive at your conclusions is inconceievable.

On 5/23/2019 at 4:10 PM, Red Rum said:

Each to their own I personally can’t see the point in having an expensive painting vehicle effectively it’s a toolbox on wheels and depreciates reasonably quickly. Also I can guarantee those painters don’t have a passion for owning racehorses . :)