RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
legs&lashes

jewels day

Would like to know peoples thoughts on the hospitality prices for Jewels day.

I was told last week that Spectators is $125 pp which only includes entry and some food!

Last year I was in the Clubhouse Bar at Cambridge and the package was $100 including beer and wine and food.

I have come to think Addington Raceway is very greedy and it is a rip off so I wont be going at this stage.

As a side note the beer prices at Addington in spectators are a disgrace too.

$16 for a jug!!! that is one place I wont be having a beer in!

Regards

AC  (first time poster on this forum)

5 hours ago, legs&lashes said:

I was told last week that Spectators is $125 pp which only includes entry and some food!

Last year I was in the Clubhouse Bar at Cambridge and the package was $100 including beer and wine and food.

I have come to think Addington Raceway is very greedy and it is a rip off so I wont be going at this stage.

Regards

Hard to disagree with you , but I guess the Quality of the days Harness Racing will be long remembered after the price is forgotten.

Plus one assumes there are enough folk [ demand ] willing and able to afford to pay for a comfortable room and surroundings to view what is usually an exciting days racing.

I guess its a bit like paying for a club membership these days...not a lot of value in it with free entry etc these days.

As a rare drinker ,I also often find myself 'subsidising' the drinks of the big drinkers who can have a great days  'good value' drinking on any ticket which includes drinks .

I see it as contribution to the Club and Industry as they really need to make a dollar on their biggest day......... The actual cost I compare to $450 to Watch Lions test v All Blacks , $300 for Celine Dion ,$250 for USA rocker whose name escapes me [ great show ! ]  A$750 for Members stand [with some restrictions] for the Derby/Melbourne Cup duo....A$100 minimum for Melbourne cup public area to see very little !

At least its just a gold coin donation[ to St Johns] to get into the Jewels ! Everyone welcome !

6 hours ago, legs&lashes said:

Regards

Welcome to RC and you have raised a good point re prices. Tasman Man is also correct in that it is what it is given its status on the Harness calendar but to put things into perspective  Cambridge and Ashburton were far more cost competitive in terms of packages offered to race goers

Pete's Big Jim, second last year but one placing from five starts this season. How does it get an invite or am I wrongly informed? I can go with inviting Aussie horses but surely they have to meet the same $$$ criteria as ours.

55 minutes ago, Blue said:

Pete's Big Jim, second last year but one placing from five starts this season. How does it get an invite or am I wrongly informed? I can go with inviting Aussie horses but surely they have to meet the same $$$ criteria as ours.

The rules are on the HRNZ website and any Aussie can be invited....no monetary or form criteria but it stands to reason a capable and keen horse would be preferred to attract interest and betting from Aussie.

Pete finished a close second last year and I guess keen to return. Not too many  Aussie horses come over for the event so probably a case of 'a bird in the hand !' worth two in the bush !

Plus invites to Aussies probably needed to be made a few weeks back to assist travel.

Cost question......nothing to enter and $3k to $5k paid back to last. Unsure re travel subsidy for Aussies ,would guess something offered. Makes sense.