THIS WEEK'S COMP TATTS TIARA DAY THANKS TO PONDEROSA STAY TUNED FOR DETAILS
Patiti

John Allan Industry Conversations

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, SMD is rife said:

This is really just his farewell tour. Glen Saville and John Allen will go down in history as the two ringleaders who wasted millions of industry money. 

You can guarantee they both will never been seen on a NZ racetrack again in their lives.

Why don't we as an Industry hold them to account now ???

It really is beyond me.

We can rip them a new one before their farewell tours ends and they cop that magnificent golden handshake...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SMD is rife said:

This is really just his farewell tour. Glen Saville and John Allen will go down in history as the two ringleaders who wasted millions of industry money. 

You can guarantee they both will never been seen on a NZ racetrack again in their lives.

Probably right about a farewell tour but quite possibly wrong about the money or at least who is responsible  for the current results .

The reality is their strategy has been shot down by Winston and his followers , the day Winston canned/delayed race fields was the day the racing board could wash their hands of any problems associated with their strategy . How can you blame anyone from the board  when their revenue forecasts were so badly sabotaged , if it hadn't been stopped , by now we could have all judged success or failure .

The irony is race fields is back or will be , just in time for the next election campaign .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see in Bernard's blog on NZTR he reports on the Hawkes Bay conversation highlighting the move to digital with the reduction in on course and phonebetting as a % of the total.

No mention what the overall trends are and the impact of the FOB platform generally.

Phonebet has gone from 8.9 % 3.4 % .

On course from 2.8 % to 1.8 %

Floating these sort of stats around in isolation is dangerous.

Surely a proper analysis of the total trends and impacts of the new platform and phonebet systems would be more helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 7:39 PM, Patiti said:

I see in Bernard's blog on NZTR he reports on the Hawkes Bay conversation highlighting the move to digital with the reduction in on course and phonebetting as a % of the total.

No mention what the overall trends are and the impact of the FOB platform generally.

Phonebet has gone from 8.9 % 3.4 % .

On course from 2.8 % to 1.8 %

Floating these sort of stats around in isolation is dangerous.

Surely a proper analysis of the total trends and impacts of the new platform and phonebet systems would be more helpful.

I was going to post about the glaring omissions but have seen you had already picked up on that.

NZTR should be kicking up blue murder about the FOB platform instead nothing. NZTR seem intent on muscling in on the publishing side which was previously the domain of news outfits e.g. Informant. All while acquiescing to TAB. 

No real useful info on racing management and news on racing clubs where important decisions need to be made.

I don't think anyone in racing really knows what they should be doing.

Transferring NZTR to Auckland and creating a racing standalone media division which includes Trackside is therefore a must.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty little feedback on here from the meetings so far.

I attended the one at Te Rapa today, not a big turnout but then again I don't believe they were well advertised. However I am sure that John Allen was pleased to get away to catch a flight back to Wellington as he did get a drilling from a few with very little positivity towards the board from those who did attend.

The new betting platform was slated with Berri Schroeder stating that we have the worst betting tab site in the world and that was after spending $40+ million on it. Others stating there is no meaningful form and a distinct lack of information for punters.

The demise of The Informant was topical and Dennis Ryan was scathing of the NZRB over this matter particularly on the aspect of the provision of the fields data etc.

Gary Hennessy told John that he is a slow learner and asked him to resign.

The message from the floor was that the TAB platform needed significant improvement and that the Board has focused too much on delivering on a sports platform (with lesser return to the industry) to the detriment of the actual racing and that racing desperately needs more mainstream media content for the public.

A good point made at the end of the meeting was that there was no one taking any notes from the Board on what had been said and recommendations raised during the meeting. ie do they go in one ear and out the other?

To be fair, with what is currently going on re the legislation process underway through the parliament which is well documented and with RITA coming into full action 1 July I couldn't see any real justification for this current round of meetings across the country (at a cost) at this point in time.  

 

    

  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Pretty little feedback on here from the meetings so far.

I attended the one at Te Rapa today, not a big turnout but then again I don't believe they were well advertised. However I am sure that John Allen was pleased to get away to catch a flight back to Wellington as he did get a drilling from a few with very little positivity towards the board from those who did attend.

The new betting platform was slated with Berri Schroeder stating that we have the worst betting tab site in the world and that was after spending $40+ million on it. Others stating there is no meaningful form and a distinct lack of information for punters.

The demise of The Informant was topical and Dennis Ryan was scathing of the NZRB over this matter particularly on the aspect of the provision of the fields data etc.

Gary Hennessy told John that he is a slow learner and asked him to resign.

The message from the floor was that the TAB platform needed significant improvement and that the Board has focused too much on delivering on a sports platform (with lesser return to the industry) to the detriment of the actual racing and that racing desperately needs more mainstream media content for the public.

A good point made at the end of the meeting was that there was no one taking any notes from the Board on what had been said and recommendations raised during the meeting. ie do they go in one ear and out the other?

To be fair, with what is currently going on re the legislation process underway through the parliament which is well documented and with RITA coming into full action 1 July I couldn't see any real justification for this current round of meetings across the country (at a cost) at this point in time.  

 

    

  

 

Thanks Ted....As was stated "The Farewell Tour" :rcfe-dislike:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll add something else that shocked me...We have Know Your Client (KYC) legislation being enforced in New Zealand where proof of entity for bets or collects of over $1000 need to be recorded. So if you take a $1 trifecta, and it pays more than $1000, you have to prove who you are and have the bet provider sign off the KYC receipt. In other countries it is $10,000. This will change things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Berri said:

I'll add something else that shocked me...We have Know Your Client (KYC) legislation being enforced in New Zealand where proof of entity for bets or collects of over $1000 need to be recorded. So if you take a $1 trifecta, and it pays more than $1000, you have to prove who you are and have the bet provider sign off the KYC receipt. In other countries it is $10,000. This will change things.

Just to clarify that's for cash transactions and is coming in under government money laundering legislation.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Auckland Racing guy gave JA a serve about the 'best bets ' publication omitting Randwick and other significant meetings ,and several commented on the demise of the Informant and the inadequacies of best bets and the Riverton anomaly over Easter.

JA seemed concerned and seems to support the return of the Informant publication at some stage...time will tell.

JA is a good talker and a eternal optimist...he mentioned the lack of budgeted margin in some areas ,and no doubt is thankful of the continual growth of sports betting.

He admitted some failings in the changeover to the new platform and touched on the importance of their biggest customers ,especially as they had lost a couple.

I guess its the elite who get all his attention and the small guy's loss not so important as Sports betting increases. But this does not auger well for the future of Racing.

He mentioned $20 mill had been spent on upgrading the outside broadcast assets ,and during the last 2x years more had been distributed to Racing ,than had been earned so that can't continue.

John talks well but one senses the magnitude of the challenges facing the Racing Board and TAB are overwhelming.

The increased funding from levy removal etc [ 3 x sources ] seem a lifeline but may not cover for any margin decrease and further falls in turnover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Pretty little feedback on here from the meetings so far.

I attended the one at Te Rapa today, not a big turnout but then again I don't believe they were well advertised. However I am sure that John Allen was pleased to get away to catch a flight back to Wellington as he did get a drilling from a few with very little positivity towards the board from those who did attend.

The new betting platform was slated with Berri Schroeder stating that we have the worst betting tab site in the world and that was after spending $40+ million on it. Others stating there is no meaningful form and a distinct lack of information for punters.

The demise of The Informant was topical and Dennis Ryan was scathing of the NZRB over this matter particularly on the aspect of the provision of the fields data etc.

Gary Hennessy told John that he is a slow learner and asked him to resign.

The message from the floor was that the TAB platform needed significant improvement and that the Board has focused too much on delivering on a sports platform (with lesser return to the industry) to the detriment of the actual racing and that racing desperately needs more mainstream media content for the public.

A good point made at the end of the meeting was that there was no one taking any notes from the Board on what had been said and recommendations raised during the meeting. ie do they go in one ear and out the other?

To be fair, with what is currently going on re the legislation process underway through the parliament which is well documented and with RITA coming into full action 1 July I couldn't see any real justification for this current round of meetings across the country (at a cost) at this point in time.  

 

    

  

 

Good summary Ted....I'm surprised they bothered given the negative reaction they must have expected, so you have to give them credit for that. And bringing a stenographer along might not have been a good look....maybe they were recording the sessions....?? Probably not, it will be someone else's problem soon...:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here’s my thoughts, followed by an analogy 

Sports betting just grows and grows in exactly the same environment, and using the same platform as racing,

Now the analogy.

In my restaurant I offer a fish dish and a beef dish, at the same price, with the same garnish & sides.

The fish dish is in huge demand, it keeps growing and out-sells the beef 10:1

What should I do, as in what should I invest in.....fish or beef ?

Meantime the beef supplier refuses to provide a better product but blames me, the restaurateur, because the customers think his offering is shit.

Then the beef guy starts whinging and demands the gummint divert funding from health and education to subsidise his production costs .......Meantime the fish supplier just goes about his business doing a great job and providing a product that the customers want

So I’m John Allen....in all seriousness you guys....what do you honestly think he’s going to do, or should do ?

Stop your whinging, you’re fxxking pathetic.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who is John? The cook or the restaurant owner? If he’s the owner and he’s given beef and fish, and employs the wrong cook, who fucks up each time cooking the beef, but because fish wasn’t really on the menu before and fish can’t really be wrecked, then the fish will out sell the beef. The other problem is that even though there’s a huge market for fish, the margins aren’t there and there are5 other fish shops on the same block, then fish is hard work. Then a new owner comes along and sacks the cook who knows what good beef actually is and can cook the dam stuff as well.

then the owner has a successful business and they lived happily ever after.

The End

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Berri said:

So who is John? The cook or the restaurant owner? If he’s the owner and he’s given beef and fish, and employs the wrong cook, who fucks up each time cooking the beef, but because fish wasn’t really on the menu before and fish can’t really be wrecked, then the fish will out sell the beef. The other problem is that even though there’s a huge market for fish, the margins aren’t there and there are5 other fish shops on the same block, then fish is hard work. Then a new owner comes along and sacks the cook who knows what good beef actually is and can cook the dam stuff as well.

then the owner has a successful business and they lived happily ever after.

The End

It was an analogy.....John was an observer....in parallel....and therein lies the fxxking problem Berri fruit....you racing people just don’t have the intellectual grunt to see your own failings and frailties, so you can’t address them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

It was an analogy.....John was an observer....in parallel....and therein lies the fxxking problem Berri fruit....you racing people just don’t have the intellectual grunt to see your own failings and frailties, so you can’t address them.

 

I know it was an analogy and that is why I continued with it....cooks and all.  I agree....racing is absolutely stuffed and has been for quite some time. Are you saying i don't have the intellectual grunt to understand this...or that I haven't also seen this demise for 25 years? We've discussed this together for the past 10 years with no material change in sight.

As for sports betting, it's not quite that simple in terms of making money for racing. Although there's legislation in respect of the distributions to sport, these are now being placed under pressure and because we have so much political interference, it is a matter of time when another idiot government representative decides to tinker with this. The FOB platform was made for sports using racing money. The percentages going to sports and the competitive bet returns to the punters make this a very tricky business. As we are using machines, all that will happen is that more machines are deployed by more service providers that chase the returns from the bet decrease by providing rewards and rebates. Racing then gets less.

So at the moment not one politician knows what they are talking about, especially National. Nicki Kay. Although a nice person, she has no idea so her comments are politically motivated because the returns from the lotteries are down, therefore distributions to things like grass roots sports are down. Has the effect of squeezing racing and if sport is leveraged more, cannibalisation of race betting will occur (if not now). So the best thing we can do is either nothing, or make racing as technologically advanced as we can using people who know what they are talking about. Unfortunately they are few and far between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.