RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
claude55

Maiden gallopers

Not to sure why but seems to be a bit of a trend unhealthy for the horse entering maiden horse in races that have had two of three wins. Maiden horses have maiden races or is there a shortage of these races. Terrible seeing the maiden horse come twenty length behind the winner.

9 minutes ago, claude55 said:

Not to sure why but seems to be a bit of a trend unhealthy for the horse entering maiden horse in races that have had two of three wins. Maiden horses have maiden races or is there a shortage of these races. Terrible seeing the maiden horse come twenty length behind the winner.

Execute didn't seem to mind.

49 minutes ago, claude55 said:

One

Without over taxing my brain too much on a Monday,Shamus Award..cox plate

Supreme order ,may have won the oaks

Aito may have been a maiden when he won the Waikato Guineas.

Plenty of others out there i am presuming,i don't have the resources or computer skills to access the imformation.

Others will know more than me.

4 hours ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Without over taxing my brain too much on a Monday,Shamus Award..cox plate

Supreme order ,may have won the oaks

Aito may have been a maiden when he won the Waikato Guineas.

Plenty of others out there i am presuming,i don't have the resources or computer skills to access the imformation.

Others will know more than me.

Supreme Glory it was Crusty. One and only win of her career. She had a further 31 starts after winning the NZ Oaks in the hands of Jimmy Walker for a couple of thirds.

1 hour ago, Chris Wood said:

Burt Furness Ted?

:rcfe-like:

Certainly was Chris.

I posted this story three years ago on Race Café (found it)

Gubes.

Garry Phillips, as he was apt to do throughout his career when Trentham, was on was staying at our home. He popped over the hill to see his younger brother Paul who lived in Wainuiomata at the time and Bert Furness rang wanting to speak with Garry. When I said he wasn't here at the time he told me that he had Supreme Glory in the Oaks and wanted Garry to ride her and would I get Garry to ring him when he got back.

About an hour later he rang back (Garry was still out) and said to me that Supreme Glory would be a good ride and rang back a third time. In the interim another couple of trainers had rung and left messages for Garry. In the end he took another ride and as you mention Jimmy Walker, (Garry's brother-in-law) ended up with the ride.

Bert Furness was pretty bullish about her chances when I was talking with him so I backed Supreme Glory that day and enjoyed the big dividend. :)      

Another good thing happened one Labour weekend and Garry was staying and I'm not sure if his first name was Alf or Alan Christmas and he trained a horse called Bush Singlet. He rang and asked Garry to ride Bush Singlet in the 1400m or 1600m race at Trentham on the Monday. Garry had ridden the horse at it's previous easy win at Masterton paying about $6 from memory. We went round to the dairy to get the Best Bets on the Sunday morning and when we checked the fields Bush Singlet wasn't in the race at Trentham but was listed to run in a race at Awapuni on the Monday. Garry says. "Silly bugger, why would he ring me here in Wellington to ride the horse at Awapuni., surely he would know I'm riding at Trentham."

So we get home and Garry rings him and he assures Garry the horse is in at Trentham. The Best Bets/Turf Digest and I think the papers also had left Bush Singlet out of the Trentham field. Long story short Bush Singlet bolts in and pays $18 and boy wasn't there outrage later from the public, letters to the Friday Flash etc etc.

The race was the first leg of the treble that day also. Only one treble in those days and the other two legs were won by Varnamo and Coeur D'Or paying over $1300.00. :wub:  

3 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Supreme Glory it was Crusty. One and only win of her career. She had a further 31 starts after winning the NZ Oaks in the hands of Jimmy Walker for a couple of thirds.

Wasn't she very nearly scratched at the barrier? Might have been on her last chance when she finally went into the gates. It was a while ago of course, so I might be wrong.

3 hours ago, rdytdy said:

I remember that race well, Glynn tucker said if it won he would jump off the grandstand. Every mat in the olds and my grandparents  house had a track on the back of it and the brother and myself would use old race cards from Ellerslie (hundreds unused from Xmas carnival)to create fantasy meetings and I’d commentate Keith Haub Style :rcfe-laughing:  ... you suggest the impossible it normally bites you...RIP Mr Tucker