Griffin

Kentucky Derby Coverage

32 posts in this topic

Back on topic - In the video that I mentioned, link: https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Watch_New_video_key_to_Maximum_Security_s_Kentucky_Derby_appeal_123 , where the owner of Maximum Security claims that War of Will came off his true line and clipped the back legs of Maximum Security.

There is now an article (interview with Jason Servis, trainer of Maximum Security), link: https://www.app.com/story/sports/horses/2019/05/08/servis-still-furious-maximum-security-dq-kentucky-derby/1139284001/ where Servis states that Maximum Security has cuts on his hind two legs from the race.  The question is were those cuts a result of War of Will coming out and clipping Maximum Security or did they result in the subsequent contact.  Looks like Maximum Security's connections have a case.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Scanman said:

Cheers.  Funny that you mention Tolomeo.  I was living in Scotland at the time and tipped him up to my father (who didn't bet him) for the 1983 Arlington Million.  Arlington Park used to be at the top of my US/World list, but during a subsequent visit they've allow the trees in the infield to overgrow and now viewing parts of a race are obstructed.  But the grandstand is like a palace and their grounds are immaculate.

I enjoyed many of the horses you mentioned run, particularly Arzai's juvenile BC win.  I was also a big fan of Alysheba.  In more recent times, my favorite horse would be Barbaro.  Sad to see his potential was never realized after getting injured in the Preakness.

God willing, I will get to Happy Valley and Meydan.  Still so many racecourses to visit and so little time and money.

Tolomeo and Luca Cumani a true gent and a pioneer in travelling horses with success. It's a shame he didn't get a Melbourne Cup on his list , he was very close a few times.

Clive Brittain also retired , he almost stole a Kentucky Derby from across the pond with Bold Arrangement . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 8:43 AM, Scanman said:

Back on topic - In the video that I mentioned, link: https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Watch_New_video_key_to_Maximum_Security_s_Kentucky_Derby_appeal_123 , where the owner of Maximum Security claims that War of Will came off his true line and clipped the back legs of Maximum Security.

There is now an article (interview with Jason Servis, trainer of Maximum Security), link: https://www.app.com/story/sports/horses/2019/05/08/servis-still-furious-maximum-security-dq-kentucky-derby/1139284001/ where Servis states that Maximum Security has cuts on his hind two legs from the race.  The question is were those cuts a result of War of Will coming out and clipping Maximum Security or did they result in the subsequent contact.  Looks like Maximum Security's connections have a case.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Has a Final decision been passed down??

or is the legal challenge still in progress?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yknow theres a poetic irony of that race...

the name maximum security, the number 7 saddle cloth, Trumps tweet the interference and obstruction.. the domino effect that caused the disqualification to be brought forward... is all connected in a poetic sense to the Dramas that have already taken place and still progressing in America regarding President Trump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, 6xes said:

yknow theres a poetic irony of that race...

the name maximum security, the number 7 saddle cloth, Trumps tweet the interference and obstruction.. the domino effect that caused the disqualification to be brought forward... is all connected in a poetic sense to the Dramas that have already taken place and still progressing in America regarding President Trump.

The latest is that Luis Saez was given a 15 day suspension, see link:  https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/233636/jockey-luis-saez-suspended-15-days-for-derby-infraction .

This would come as no surprise, since the CD stewards DQ'ed Maximum Security.  They "had" to do this to support their decision.  Saez will be appealing the decision.  Hopefully, in doing so the stewards/Kentucky Horse Racing Commission will view the video that exonerates him.  I continue to struggle to see how the "powers that be" cannot see that Tyler Gafflione (rider of #1, War of Will) was the cause of the contact by hitting Maximum Security's hind legs when attempting to go around.

As for the owner's, reports are that they will be proceeding with legal action.  Personally, I hope they are successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scanman said:

The latest is that Luis Saez was given a 15 day suspension, see link:  https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/233636/jockey-luis-saez-suspended-15-days-for-derby-infraction .

This would come as no surprise, since the CD stewards DQ'ed Maximum Security.  They "had" to do this to support their decision.  Saez will be appealing the decision.  Hopefully, in doing so the stewards/Kentucky Horse Racing Commission will view the video that exonerates him.  I continue to struggle to see how the "powers that be" cannot see that Tyler Gafflione (rider of #1, War of Will) was the cause of the contact by hitting Maximum Security's hind legs when attempting to go around.

As for the owner's, reports are that they will be proceeding with legal action.  Personally, I hope they are successful.

Mebbe Max moving outwards (deliberately or not) is the root cause. I cant see the stewards' decision being changed now, even in the courts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now