RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Griffin

Kentucky Derby Coverage

Back on topic - In the video that I mentioned, link: https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Watch_New_video_key_to_Maximum_Security_s_Kentucky_Derby_appeal_123 , where the owner of Maximum Security claims that War of Will came off his true line and clipped the back legs of Maximum Security.

There is now an article (interview with Jason Servis, trainer of Maximum Security), link: https://www.app.com/story/sports/horses/2019/05/08/servis-still-furious-maximum-security-dq-kentucky-derby/1139284001/ where Servis states that Maximum Security has cuts on his hind two legs from the race.  The question is were those cuts a result of War of Will coming out and clipping Maximum Security or did they result in the subsequent contact.  Looks like Maximum Security's connections have a case.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

11 minutes ago, Scanman said:

Cheers.  Funny that you mention Tolomeo.  I was living in Scotland at the time and tipped him up to my father (who didn't bet him) for the 1983 Arlington Million.  Arlington Park used to be at the top of my US/World list, but during a subsequent visit they've allow the trees in the infield to overgrow and now viewing parts of a race are obstructed.  But the grandstand is like a palace and their grounds are immaculate.

I enjoyed many of the horses you mentioned run, particularly Arzai's juvenile BC win.  I was also a big fan of Alysheba.  In more recent times, my favorite horse would be Barbaro.  Sad to see his potential was never realized after getting injured in the Preakness.

God willing, I will get to Happy Valley and Meydan.  Still so many racecourses to visit and so little time and money.

Tolomeo and Luca Cumani a true gent and a pioneer in travelling horses with success. It's a shame he didn't get a Melbourne Cup on his list , he was very close a few times.

Clive Brittain also retired , he almost stole a Kentucky Derby from across the pond with Bold Arrangement . 

On 5/9/2019 at 8:43 AM, Scanman said:

Back on topic - In the video that I mentioned, link: https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Watch_New_video_key_to_Maximum_Security_s_Kentucky_Derby_appeal_123 , where the owner of Maximum Security claims that War of Will came off his true line and clipped the back legs of Maximum Security.

There is now an article (interview with Jason Servis, trainer of Maximum Security), link: https://www.app.com/story/sports/horses/2019/05/08/servis-still-furious-maximum-security-dq-kentucky-derby/1139284001/ where Servis states that Maximum Security has cuts on his hind two legs from the race.  The question is were those cuts a result of War of Will coming out and clipping Maximum Security or did they result in the subsequent contact.  Looks like Maximum Security's connections have a case.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Has a Final decision been passed down??

or is the legal challenge still in progress?

yknow theres a poetic irony of that race...

the name maximum security, the number 7 saddle cloth, Trumps tweet the interference and obstruction.. the domino effect that caused the disqualification to be brought forward... is all connected in a poetic sense to the Dramas that have already taken place and still progressing in America regarding President Trump.

49 minutes ago, 6xes said:

yknow theres a poetic irony of that race...

the name maximum security, the number 7 saddle cloth, Trumps tweet the interference and obstruction.. the domino effect that caused the disqualification to be brought forward... is all connected in a poetic sense to the Dramas that have already taken place and still progressing in America regarding President Trump.

The latest is that Luis Saez was given a 15 day suspension, see link:  https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/233636/jockey-luis-saez-suspended-15-days-for-derby-infraction .

This would come as no surprise, since the CD stewards DQ'ed Maximum Security.  They "had" to do this to support their decision.  Saez will be appealing the decision.  Hopefully, in doing so the stewards/Kentucky Horse Racing Commission will view the video that exonerates him.  I continue to struggle to see how the "powers that be" cannot see that Tyler Gafflione (rider of #1, War of Will) was the cause of the contact by hitting Maximum Security's hind legs when attempting to go around.

As for the owner's, reports are that they will be proceeding with legal action.  Personally, I hope they are successful.

4 hours ago, Scanman said:

The latest is that Luis Saez was given a 15 day suspension, see link:  https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/233636/jockey-luis-saez-suspended-15-days-for-derby-infraction .

This would come as no surprise, since the CD stewards DQ'ed Maximum Security.  They "had" to do this to support their decision.  Saez will be appealing the decision.  Hopefully, in doing so the stewards/Kentucky Horse Racing Commission will view the video that exonerates him.  I continue to struggle to see how the "powers that be" cannot see that Tyler Gafflione (rider of #1, War of Will) was the cause of the contact by hitting Maximum Security's hind legs when attempting to go around.

As for the owner's, reports are that they will be proceeding with legal action.  Personally, I hope they are successful.

Mebbe Max moving outwards (deliberately or not) is the root cause. I cant see the stewards' decision being changed now, even in the courts. 

23 minutes ago, Scanman said:

Hi Scanman , your up with the play Stateside , how do you see things playing out at Santa Anita next meet and California wide . Is there a chance SA closes ? 

22 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Hi Scanman , your up with the play Stateside , how do you see things playing out at Santa Anita next meet and California wide . Is there a chance SA closes ? 

Best to you RR - California as a state is a "freak show".  Now that Santa Anita is off, the press and other anti-racing entities/fanatics are hammering Del Mar, who has had a rash of early meet fatalities.  Not going to deal with the general topic of horse fatalities here, as that can be it's own topic/thread all unto itself.

I don't believe we will ever see racing in California shutdown.  It has too great of an economic impact and while attendance at the city racecourses may be sparse at times, California still has a very popular, well attended fair circuit (short meetings in Ferndale, Fresno, Los Alamitos, Pleasanton, Sacramento, and Santa Rosa).  Santa Anita (SA) and Del Mar (DMR) are two of the most beautiful, scenic racecourses in the world.  Both are racecourse gems and the racing is first-class.

Focusing on racecourse fatalities only, Golden Gate (GG), in the San Francisco area, is rarely talked about because their fatality rate is very low (vs. SA and DMR).  The reason is their main track surface is Tapeta, not dirt.  I'm a firm believer that a dirt track can be as safe as grass or synthetic track.  It's all down to the base, composition, and maintenance.  Unfortunately, that isn't bearing itself out at either SA or DMR.  There was a time when SA, DMR, GG, and the now shuttered Hollywood Park were mandated to use a synthetic surface.  Only GG has prevailed with a synthetic (Tapeta).  The other synthetic surfaces used in southern California did not have as great an impact on reducing equine fatalities and were allowed to return to dirt.  Also, the trainers in southern California had an adverse experience with the synthetics used (Del Mar used Polytrack, San Anita used Cushion then Pro-RIde, and Hollywood Park used Cushion).

Concerning SA, I believe that they may be mandated to go back to a synthetic main track.  If so, the obvious choice for this would be the latest version of Tapeta, Tapeta 10.  The success rate in reducing racecourse fatalities with tracks using Tapeta 10 have been excellent.  Though, for SA to have a successful transition, the base of the track would have to be completely removed.  They really would have to start from scratch; removing the dirt and base, then totally reconstruct the track.

As an American, who grew up in Pennsylvania and currently lives in Florida; I have had the opportunity to visit California on many occasions and loved all of my visits.  I've been to all of the existing racecourses and those that have closed.  However, it has been over 5 years since my last visit and would not even consider going back due to the social and political atmosphere that currently exist.  California has well and truly "gone off the rails".  My hope is that thoroughbred racing doesn't follow suit.

26 minutes ago, Scanman said:

Best to you RR - California as a state is a "freak show".  Now that Santa Anita is off, the press and other anti-racing entities/fanatics are hammering Del Mar, who has had a rash of early meet fatalities.  Not going to deal with the general topic of horse fatalities here, as that can be it's own topic/thread all unto itself.

I don't believe we will ever see racing in California shutdown.  It has too great of an economic impact and while attendance at the city racecourses may be sparse at times, California still has a very popular, well attended fair circuit (short meetings in Ferndale, Fresno, Los Alamitos, Pleasanton, Sacramento, and Santa Rosa).  Santa Anita (SA) and Del Mar (DMR) are two of the most beautiful, scenic racecourses in the world.  Both are racecourse gems and the racing is first-class.

Focusing on racecourse fatalities only, Golden Gate (GG), in the San Francisco area, is rarely talked about because their fatality rate is very low (vs. SA and DMR).  The reason is their main track surface is Tapeta, not dirt.  I'm a firm believer that a dirt track can be as safe as grass or synthetic track.  It's all down to the base, composition, and maintenance.  Unfortunately, that isn't bearing itself out at either SA or DMR.  There was a time when SA, DMR, GG, and the now shuttered Hollywood Park were mandated to use a synthetic surface.  Only GG has prevailed with a synthetic (Tapeta).  The other synthetic surfaces used in southern California did not have as great an impact on reducing equine fatalities and were allowed to return to dirt.  Also, the trainers in southern California had an adverse experience with the synthetics used (Del Mar used Polytrack, San Anita used Cushion then Pro-RIde, and Hollywood Park used Cushion).

Concerning SA, I believe that they may be mandated to go back to a synthetic main track.  If so, the obvious choice for this would be the latest version of Tapeta, Tapeta 10.  The success rate in reducing racecourse fatalities with tracks using Tapeta 10 have been excellent.  Though, for SA to have a successful transition, the base of the track would have to be completely removed.  They really would have to start from scratch; removing the dirt and base, then totally reconstruct the track.

As an American, who grew up in Pennsylvania and currently lives in Florida; I have had the opportunity to visit California on many occasions and loved all of my visits.  I've been to all of the existing racecourses and those that have closed.  However, it has been over 5 years since my last visit and would not even consider going back due to the social and political atmosphere that currently exist.  California has well and truly "gone off the rails".  My hope is that thoroughbred racing doesn't follow suit.

Santa Anita has the most beautiful backdrop with the mountains , went many years back . It was a Cal bred Cup Day . I see Hialeah has quarter horse meets now , that was an iconic track in Florida .

2 hours ago, Red Rum said:

Santa Anita has the most beautiful backdrop with the mountains , went many years back . It was a Cal bred Cup Day . I see Hialeah has quarter horse meets now , that was an iconic track in Florida .

Yes, Santa Anita might easily have the most picturesque backdrop of any racecourse in the world.

Hialeah hasn't had an offical quarter horse (QH) meet since 2016.  They ran an unsanctioned QH meet in 2017.  The owner signed a purse contract with a horsemen's group closely associated with the track. Those races featured two horses starting from pens and running under Western saddles.  Don't think there has been any racing since then.  Currently, it's used as a similcasting facility, poker rooms, electronic gaming and events center.  Don't think it will ever close or be raised as it is listed on our National Register of Historical Places.

Hialeah's demise came about by getting into a pissing contest with Gulfstream Park over the choice winter racing dates.  With Hialeah being located in economically depressed central Miami versus Hollywood Park in the affluent area in Hallendale Beach; it wasn't a close call as to who was going to win.  Which is sad because Hiaeah Park is a timeless beauty.  Definitely a racecourse from another era that still has the potential to be revived.  We keep hoping for a time when the two racecourse owners can work out an arrangement whereby both tracks can co-exist.  I still have wonderful memories of my visit over 30 years ago.