RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Newmarket RC

Holiday Racing costs and a day at a top Stable

For those of you who have never worked in a stable let alone run the best one this is a good example of the day/nights proceedings. All Stars Style.  The top gallops stables are no different  based on my experience.

Ashley Locaz and trotters Winterfell and Kings Landing bypass Auckland. “Ashley a grand little horse but the other three we are sending up will make things tough for him” Mark

Long Holiday weekends may be welcome for many people but not at the Rolleston stable of All Stars.

It means long working hours long racedays after major hopple mornings, a big hike in overheads and this weekend at least, a lack of sleep.

“New Zealand seems to plan for public holiday racedays but we find them a mixed blessing at best” Natalie noted

‘We hit the ground running this morning to work over 40 horses before we started thinking about raceday and all the preparation that goes with that.

Holiday costs affect us a lot and it is hard to get by on less staff when we have so much going on”

But wait, it gets worse. All Stars send 6 horses north to Auckland on Sunday morning, Spankem, Chase Auckland, Enhance Your Calm, Turn It Up and Sweet on Me an Amazing Dream.

‘We will be up at 1 am to feed them and set them up for the trip. Natalie said . And Mark notes that that is not the end of it.

“We do the boxes and get the feeds ready then we might get back to bed. It makes for long days and you have to put in those sort of hours. Its not easy”

The mere hours also do not take into account the professional stress of driving top horses in top races. In itself that demands a lot of time”

The horses will be bases again at Barry Purdons with Poi Bowden the man in charge.

“I will stay up there for the last week but will be home during this week’ Mark said.

What do you want us to do get out the violin 

That's  choices you  make in life some of us work 3 or more jobs to pay for what you are playing with ... not to mention the  jobs we do have fine tolerances that can mean life or death.

Racing is merely a sport that we enjoy don't grumble enjoy it

Everyone with stock sleeps with one eye open 

I know other trainers work as hard and some harder , business owners like my self work 7 days and very long hours with huge mental stress , we all pay wages and penal rates and how naive to think racing shouldn’t be programmed around public holidays .

Racing and Allstars income comes from punting / betting turnover and guess what - people bet on their days off !!

No stake money no horses and stakes come from the punter .

The original post was posted as an example of the day in the life of a successful training partnership. I am not saying nor are they inferring anywhere that i can see that others  dont work just as hard etc. No doubt the AS detractors will jump at the chance to have a crack after reading the above but it was posted for educational purposes from my perspective for those who  have not experienced stable life and costs of running a stable

Ok Newmarket  as you seem to be wanting to educate us all on how a top stable operates then why don't you educate us on all the names off the horses that are not fast enough or are broken down by the ALLSTARS  stable that end up at the butchers shop through no fault of there own come on there is always two sides to every top stable don't give us the line there's not many....we will be waiting with interest 

8 minutes ago, thrillsnspills said:

Ok Newmarket  as you seem to be wanting to educate us all on how a top stable operates then why don't you educate us on all the names off the horses that are not fast enough or are broken down by the ALLSTARS  stable that end up at the butchers shop through no fault of there own come on there is always two sides to every top stable don't give us the line there's not many....we will be waiting with interest 

Seems a simple article is taken purely out of context by the mob of AS haters...he posted a piece of news I believe from their site, just to relate what is needed for a long weekend in a stable...if it had been about anyone else you AS haters would have said fair play to them...so if you want to hate them for no reason at all...find another place...this forum is for stories about everyone...not just people who some of you like...truth is in my opinion the AS team work hard and deserve everything they get....as does anyone who is successful in whatever they do... criticise by all means but be fair to the people involved.

4 hours ago, thrillsnspills said:

As i said earlier this is an example for people to understand what its like running a  stable, in this case the successful  AS one. As i alluded to in my previous post its the same in TB code as well.

You want to introduce a completely different subject as in what happens to  slow or horses that are injured whilst in the AS stable. Quite simply i have no idea but you obviously have the inside running on this issue so why not educate us and tell us all.

I know where you're comin from Newmarket, I read it on theAllStars site it's very interesting, and informative, and nice to have a snapshot of a day in the life of the mighty AllStars, brings things into perspective alot; racenight/day is just icing on the cake, but to get an idea of what goes on behind the scenes in prep for those races days an nights is bloody awesome.....GOOOOO!!!!! THE MIGHTY ALLSTARS FOR FRI night!!!!!  :rcfe-happy-2:

Now, Thrillsnspills knock it off! you been listenin to the wrong people clearly! there's no need for that in here, you owe Newmarket an apology! yep, you do! the article was in no way a slur on anyone else in the industry and if you took the time to read it properly you would've understood that! thought you had more nouse than that grrrrrrrrrr.....I would suggest, you provide proof of the claims you have made in your post above 'horses that are not fast enough or are broken down by the ALLSTARS  stable that end up at the butchers shop' put up, or shut up, and or withdraw it!

Cheers Iraklis

On 4/25/2019 at 11:29 AM, thrillsnspills said:

Still waiting for your reply as to their sales,injuries rates. Whilst your at it maybe you can do a comparison with other harness stables.

And yes you have visited the site recently so maybe you are all hat and no cattle