RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

wierd names of horses and dogs.

Therehave been many crazy names granted for horses and greyhounds. many a bit lurid and some stupid and even some tongue twisters to catch out commentators .some come to mind Blabs (for a very large trotter) . , Mynanasgotnoteeth,mysistersapoledancer ? and even the dog chitinatin !. A new one heard in Aus recently Shaginthedragin ! The naming approvers should perhaps look a bit closer at times because a horse or dog could race for some years.Any good ones?:rcfe-happy-2:

29 minutes ago, john legend said:

Therehave been many crazy names granted for horses and greyhounds. many a bit lurid and some stupid and even some tongue twisters to catch out commentators .some come to mind Blabs (for a very large trotter) . , Mynanasgotnoteeth,mysistersapoledancer ? and even the dog chitinatin !. A new one heard in Aus recently Shaginthedragin ! The naming approvers should perhaps look a bit closer at times because a horse or dog could race for some years.Any good ones?:rcfe-happy-2:

I always thought Sell A Bit was well named as she was out of a mare called No more nookie

I always had a chuckle at the name of the trotter Be not afraid (because the next line in that hymn is "I go before you always". They kept the theme with Come follow me (and I will lead the way).

1 hour ago, john legend said:

Ironically JL, Rarely see a good horse with such a name.

True Blue, I used to think the horse made the name but I doubt there has ever been a champ with a stupid name Also Nelli. you mentioned good one Some are clever from the breeding eg. current pacer please shuddup out of the mare Blah Blah Blah... also a galloper called Painless out of panadol. lol.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:33 PM, john legend said:

Interestingly No Apachemee  is is Naughty Me's half brother from Flirt With Me, a broodmare I have bred from. Flirt With Me was bred to Tomahawk who had a big white patch on one side of his rump and seemed a Skewbald standardbred. If you look at Flirt With Me and her markings there is a lot if white but the result of the mating was disappointing in the fact the result ended up with no white markings and therefore was named No Apachemee (10yo now ). However he has qon 21 races now including a career best sub 1:53 Mile rate at Melton this year,  another win about 3 weeks ago and a brave 3 wide last half 2nd on Saturday night at Melton.

I have a colt foal from the mare who needs a race name .I would like some suggestions please with the weird theme and I will consider the best of them as his race name. Breeding sire Piping Hot General (Attorney General x Pipes Of Pan - Smooth Fella) .Dam is Flirt With Me (New York Motoring x Classy Me - Andrel).

Photo is the colt in question. 

20181228_122604.jpg

thanks for opportunity Piper.... from the theme of Pan his homeland throws up a good name and hasnt been used for close to 100 years...  ...ARCADIA (1st)

from lyrics also flirt with me.....SELF RESPECT(4th)

FROM LYRICS OF PIPES OF PAN ...DISTANT  THUNDER (3rd)

from bothsides of pedigree.   ... FLIRTWITH THEGENERAL(2nd)

On 4/21/2019 at 4:33 PM, john legend said:

Chitina Tin - I was rather suspicious of the name of this greyhound when it first showed up at Addington. However, I was assured it was reputable and my research confirmed this

Chitina is pronounced Chit-nuh and is a small town in Alaska. The Chtina Tin Shop is an historic building there. It is also known as Fred'Place and Schaupp's.

The greyhound is by Apatche (sic) Jet from Angel of Mine. Bred, owned and trained by Alison Lee of Rangiora and has won 8 races, I believe. 

On 4/29/2019 at 1:34 PM, john legend said:

thanks for opportunity Piper.... from the theme of Pan his homeland throws up a good name and hasnt been used for close to 100 years...  ...ARCADIA (1st)

from lyrics also flirt with me.....SELF RESPECT(4th)

FROM LYRICS OF PIPES OF PAN ...DISTANT  THUNDER (3rd)

from bothsides of pedigree.   ... FLIRTWITH THEGENERAL(2nd)

Didn't get my first choice in Arcadia but came up with Lycaon  (a King or General from a Greek Myth who was from Arcadia who tried the have Zeus eat human flesh and was punished by being turned into a wolf/warewolf).

Lycaon is pronounced lie-cay-on .

Went with New York General for the other  colt.