RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Rusty

Driver; Ben Hope

The young man has been driving really well this season and boasts an impressive UDR. 

You can back a horse that he is driving and not think that with him in the cart it is a negative. He is starting to get a knack of making the correct split second judgements at the right time during a race, and also judge tempo; quite rare for a junior driver to display. 

I am surprised that he doesn't seem to pick up a lot of drives outside of his parent's stable, I think he is a bit underrated. 

Agree mostly Rusty but the moment he takes outside drives his udr will drop because at the moment he's driving familiar stable horses he drives every day. Quite different on a catch drive. He does show good judgement though.

18 hours ago, tim vince said:

He is a star in the making.we are talking a young kid very early on in his career. Some tough markers out there.his stats are terrific .

Only time will tell Tim about Ben. I'm not knocking him but had to cringe at his fathers comments recently re wanting to win about 50 a year , not 70 one year and 30m the next. Is it any wonder  people go off racing  and punting when they hear that sort of nonsense. What was Greg thinking.

2 hours ago, Fartoomuch said:

Only time will tell Tim about Ben. I'm not knocking him but had to cringe at his fathers comments recently re wanting to win about 50 a year , not 70 one year and 30m the next. Is it any wonder  people go off racing  and punting when they hear that sort of nonsense. What was Greg thinking.

What’s wrong with that?.  They are doing a great job and they can set any goals they want.  Nothing wrong with wanting to be Consistent.   I really don’t know what you’re thinking.

14 hours ago, lamour said:

What’s wrong with that?.  They are doing a great job and they can set any goals they want.  Nothing wrong with wanting to be Consistent.   I really don’t know what you’re thinking.

His comments could be construed as having connotations of  not trying to win races once 50 wins have been achieved and saving them for next season . Not saying that he does that but he could be accused of such based on the words he used

Agree , they are dong a great job and note that they have lined up 4 individual 2 yr old trotters thus far this season . Must surely be some sort of record.

1 hour ago, Fartoomuch said:

His comments could be construed as having connotations of  not trying to win races once 50 wins have been achieved and saving them for next season . Not saying that he does that but he could be accused of such based on the words he used

Agree , they are dong a great job and note that they have lined up 4 individual 2 yr old trotters thus far this season . Must surely be some sort of record.

Bizarre interpretation of what he meant.

5 hours ago, lamour said:

Bizarre interpretation of what he meant.

Are you saying categorically you know what he  he meant. If so tell us. My point is why say such a thing at the times when harness is under the microscope.It must be coincidence that 2 others at our table brought up the exact topic today and basically said what i did earlier.  Each to their own opinion i suppose.

Fartoomuch - I get what you're saying.

I didn't hear Mr G Hope recently regarding his "50 wins" comment, but I did hear him on radio Trackside on a Sunday morning with Des during the 14/15 (?) season. Mr Hope stated he was aiming for 50 training wins a season as it averages out at one win a week. I did think at the time that it sounded a bit weird as it was like he was putting a limit on his own success. I'm sure that wasn't his true intention, but it just sounded a bit odd the way that he said it. 

Never met the Hopes, but I wish Ben, Greg and Nina every success. (I for one Hope they get more than 50 a season. No pun intended). 

12 hours ago, Rusty said:

Fartoomuch - I get what you're saying.

I didn't hear Mr G Hope recently regarding his "50 wins" comment, but I did hear him on radio Trackside on a Sunday morning with Des during the 14/15 (?) season. Mr Hope stated he was aiming for 50 training wins a season as it averages out at one win a week. I did think at the time that it sounded a bit weird as it was like he was putting a limit on his own success. I'm sure that wasn't his true intention, but it just sounded a bit odd the way that he said it. 

Never met the Hopes, but I wish Ben, Greg and Nina every success. (I for one Hope they get more than 50 a season. No pun intended). 

He made it to Greg O on Box Seat interview which you can find on HRNZ site. As i said above not a smart thing to say in the current climate but lets put it down to poor choice of words.

2 hours ago, Fartoomuch said:

He made it to Greg O on Box Seat interview which you can find on HRNZ site. As i said above not a smart thing to say in the current climate but lets put it down to poor choice of words.

Thanks mate, I will be sure to check it out. 

16 hours ago, Fartoomuch said:

Are you saying categorically you know what he  he meant. If so tell us. My point is why say such a thing at the times when harness is under the microscope.It must be coincidence that 2 others at our table brought up the exact topic today and basically said what i did earlier.  Each to their own opinion i suppose.

Fartoomuch...

I have never met the Hopes, and actually missed the interview you refer to, (I'm basing my  comments on the information in your post),   but common sense would tell me he is not going to go on tv and imply that once he has reached 50 wins for the season he is going to start pulling up his horses.  If he desires to train about 50 winners consistently, well that is a perfectly acceptable target and I believe it is unreasonable to assume from that, that he is possibly going to indulge in illegal behavior once he has achieved his target.

The Hope family has worked their way to the top through years of hard work , talent and integrity and from your description of what he said I certainly wouldn't think there was anything wrong with his comments.

We will probably just have to agree to disagree on this.

3 hours ago, lamour said:

Fartoomuch...

I have never met the Hopes, and actually missed the interview you refer to, (I'm basing my  comments on the information in your post),   but common sense would tell me he is not going to go on tv and imply that once he has reached 50 wins for the season he is going to start pulling up his horses.  If he desires to train about 50 winners consistently, well that is a perfectly acceptable target and I believe it is unreasonable to assume from that, that he is possibly going to indulge in illegal behavior once he has achieved his target.

The Hope family has worked their way to the top through years of hard work , talent and integrity and from your description of what he said I certainly wouldn't think there was anything wrong with his comments.

We will probably just have to agree to disagree on this.

Fair enough but suggest you watch Box Seat and actually hear what he said and then read my initial post again .  Rusty's post  has backed me up re how it could be interpreted badly.

Good win by their young trotter last night and even better seeing Ben hand up, it was the winning of the race given the runs of the other placegetter especially the 4th horse

45 minutes ago, Fartoomuch said:

Fair enough but suggest you watch Box Seat and actually hear what he said and then read my initial post again .  Rusty's post  has backed me up re how it could be interpreted badly.

Good win by their young trotter last night and even better seeing Ben hand up, it was the winning of the race given the runs of the other placegetter especially the 4th horse

Had a look on the site and could only find the previous weeks episode.  Will try looking again