RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Fartoomuch

Melody Belle- 3 mio not enough- Really

More than $3 million wasn’t enough to buy star Kiwi mare Melody Belle.

Connections have knocked back a massive $3.25 million offer for the six-time Group I winner to keep their dream alive of winning a major race in Australia.

Melody Belle’s syndicator, Fortuna director John Galvin, said the recent offer was the second large carrot dangled in front of the mare’s owners during an outstanding 2019, which has produced three Group I wins to date.

Galvin said the first offer of $3 million was rejected because the purchaser wanted Melody Belle scratched from the Group I Bonecrusher Stakes as a condition of the deal.

Galvin said the prospective buyer, a “significant Australian breeder” put together a better offer in recent weeks but that was also rejected.

“The offer that came in recently was more considered and well thought out,” Galvin told Racenet.

“I was able to put that to the syndicate members and 100 percent of the syndicate members voted not to retire her.

“The deal was that she was to be bought as a broodmare.

“We knocked that back because she was only four and got her career ahead of her and we were having so much fun.

“If she won a big race in Australia, she could conceivably win two or three million anyway and still have that residual value at the end of her racing career.

A New Zealand spring campaign is locked in for Melody Belle, but Galvin said connections were still deciding when the daughter of Commands would head back to Australia for a crack at rich races next season.

Galvin said the Jamie Richards-trained mare could be at The Valley in October for the Cox Plate if she is still thriving after her four-race spring program in New Zealand.

“We haven’t made any decisions on her Australian campaign as yet,” Galvin said. “She’ll go for the Hawkes Bay triple crown first and then you’ve got races like the Cox Plate.

“If she didn’t go there, because we thought it would be a step too far after a four-race campaign in New Zealand in the spring, then races like the All-Star Mile and Queen Elizabeth Stakes next year are also options.”

I know these things are subjective but thats a brave move by anyone's standards if the bid was genuine

2 hours ago, Fartoomuch said:
2 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

No reason to believe it was not genuine 

I know these things are subjective but thats a brave move by anyone's standards if the bid was genuine

Its never genuine until that moneys in the bank! :rcf-rich:

I'll give them a genuine offer of $4 mill.... but they'll get fuck all funds! :rcf-laughing-2:

"A genuine offer" possibly cost Madison County a Group One this season! :rcf-monkey:

Good on Fortuna for not scratching from the Bonecrusher!.... The genuine offer probably had a $100,000 on Danzdanzdance to win it? :rcf-laughing-2:

Hi I am a bloodstock agent and for Baz (whoever you are) sake, it was myself who made the offer of $3.250 million on behalf of a very powerful international syndicate for Melody Belle, it was a very genuine offer and net to the MB syndicate, I put this here to clear any misunderstanding comments, I had made a $3 million offer prior to the Bonecrusher, cheers

I must admit I did think she may be a bit over-rated, especially after failing in the two 1,200 sprints,  but I thought her last couple of wins were quite impressive when she got over a bit of ground.  To win some decent money to justify turning down that offer and enhance her residual value she will have to head to Aussie and perform at some stage.

yes this was a NZ record for a private sale of a racehorse but was told the syndicate wanted to race on, it is their horse, their decision and we respected that, in the syndicate agreement MB does have to be sold at her retirement, she is a great mare and carries an international rating of 118, unbelievably the same as Danzdanzdance, cheers

1 hour ago, Stuart Hale said:

Hi I am a bloodstock agent and for Baz (whoever you are) sake, it was myself who made the offer of $3.250 million on behalf of a very powerful international syndicate for Melody Belle, it was a very genuine offer and net to the MB syndicate, I put this here to clear any misunderstanding comments, I had made a $3 million offer prior to the Bonecrusher, cheers

Oh good...thanks for verifying the genuine offer Stu! :rcfe-like:

If nothing else.... it's great marketing for when she becomes a broodmare that they turned down $3.2 million. I'm guessing she'll produce $1 million babies now !

Who was Madison County's genuine offer from? :rcf-thinking-1:

I had a quote on Madison County as well, the asking price was $2.2 million and they had a interest at that money but unfortunately the prospective buyer got cold feet at the last moment and walked away not completing, my buyer gave it a couple of days thought but he thought it was to dear, after all he is a gelding not a colt, also everyone was told there was no movement in the asking price and not been a big horse this also affected a lot of interest, I have always said if they are good enough then they are big enough, I raced a horse once with a HK mate called Russian Pearl who was 15.2 flat out, he won G1 in NZ and a G1 in HK as well as second in the HK Derby 

Yep...remember Russian Pearl a good 3yo.

Madison County $2.2 million does sound a lot for a gelding...in saying that he could potentially win that in (AUS) next season well placed and with no WINX about?  :rcf-thinking-1:

Personally I'd take half that amount and run! :rcf-rich:

P.S  I'd want a 10% deposit before scratching from a GROUP ONE also! :rcf-laughing-2:  Genuine offer or not!

5 hours ago, Trump said:

What’s that saying? “ The day a good price was rejected was the day two fools met. The one who offered and the one who turned it down”.

Colin Jillings made the same sort of comment when a certain owner turned down huge money for his horse under Jillings care.

As was related to.me the word fool was substituted  for stronger word 

3 hours ago, Fartoomuch said:

Colin Jillings made the same sort of comment when a certain owner turned down huge money for his horse under Jillings care.

As was related to.me the word fool was substituted  for stronger word 

What was the horse?

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Didn't they turn down $3,m for Volk stock n  barrel in search of a Cox Plate? Pffftttt.

There haven't been all that many big offers turned down over the years that have worked out well in the end. It gets tricky when it is quite a big ownership and they are only going to get $100,000-$150,000 each. If it is one owner up for $2m the decision can be easier.

How to “lose” a cool $1m. A friend of mine had a share in a nice horse and after winning at The Valley, they were offered $2.4m from HK. They knocked it back. Next start it ran middle of the field. The same people came back and offered $1.4m. They took it. It hasn’t run a drum in HK! 

It's all relative I guess. A 2.5% share would have cost peanuts, maybe $1500 for someone just wanting an interest so a return of $75k with no further traing fees or expenses would be a pretty fair return  I'd say considering what she's already done. One thing's for sure, Aussie in the spring will be a whole new ballgame.

3 hours ago, Blue said:

Didn't they turn down $3,m for Volk stock n  barrel in search of a Cox Plate? Pffftttt.

I see VSB has been de registered up in Singapore . Anyone know if he's back in NZ in retirement , be good if he is as he was a classy horse at best.

Be good thread imho to learn of whereabouts of some of these good old horses. I used to love watching Sir Slick , is he still knocking around in someone's back paddock ? A true iron  horse that one, be old now though .

On 4/17/2019 at 5:06 PM, Absolutely Red said:

Graham Stuart Hale didn’t you use a Cressida as a ladder once!

he

yes you are right many years ago who is this my guess is when the Alsatian chased me and only place was up on the roof of my car, the dog not care about the paint work on the car either thank god he could not jump high, am I correct