RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
meomy

75 submissions results in racecourse closures - is this democratic?

It's observed in this article there were only 75 submissions in regards to racecourse closures.

Is this democratic in todays day and age and fair to all those who  attend and work in the industry in the regions this racecourse are?

Racecourses are there for the betterment and enjoyment of all people in all regions, including for the health and well being of those people and there communities.

It's unfortunate to see as the very courses where they are closing are exactly where they have horses and ponies for the younger generations who are our future participants unlike in the now city areas where one is lucky if one sees a horse...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/111960729/blenheim-track-among-three-racing-venues-to-get-closure-reprieve

Blenheim track among three racing venues to get closure reprieve

13:37, Apr 11 2019

Blenheim's Waterlea Racecourse is no longer earmarked for closure after a New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing review.
RICKY WILSON/STUFF
Blenheim's Waterlea Racecourse is no longer earmarked for closure after a New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing review.

Three racing venues earmarked for closure have got a reprieve in a partial backdown by New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR).

The Blenheim, Wairoa and Reefton tracks have been spared the axe after NZTR officials confirmed on Wednesday the number of closures had been reduced from 10 to seven.

"The NZTR Board carefully considered feedback from nine regional meetings and the 75 written submissions received and decided that these three venues should remain, at least for the 2019/20 season," NZTR CEO Bernard Saundry said.

NZ Thoroughbred Racing chief Bernard Saundry at Waterlea Racecourse with Marlborough racing club chairman John O'Brien.
SCOTT HAMMOND/STUFF
NZ Thoroughbred Racing chief Bernard Saundry at Waterlea Racecourse with Marlborough racing club chairman John O'Brien.

"The Board focused solely on the 2019/20 season at this stage and those venues which were listed to close from the 2024/25 season onwards will be considered later in the year."

READ MORE:
* Ten tracks slated to close
* Australia to bid Winx farewell
* Petition to save Phar Lap Raceway

There was an element of geography which came into the reasoning behind retaining each of the three tracks. This was particularly relevant in the case of Wairoa where its distance from other alternative venues on difficult roads, was a concern.

"The club also demonstrated that it had strong community and wider industry support, however there are still issues with the standard of the venue's facilities," Saundry said.

"The decision to allow the club to race at Wairoa is contingent upon some work being undertaken before NZTR will continue to support racing there in the future."

The continuing need for a transport hub for horses travelling between islands played a significant part in the NZTR Board's decision to retain Blenheim.

"The club will keep its traditional two-day meeting in April in the 2019/20 season and this will enable the club to hold its centenary meeting at its traditional venue," Saundry said.

"As with Wairoa, there is work which needs to be undertaken by the club to secure its future at Blenheim."

Marlborough Racing Club chairman John O'Brien said the club was "very pleased" by the news it could continue to race at Waterlea Racecourse.

"We're thrilled we've been given the opportunity to continue to race here. We know there has to be changes with thoroughbred racing, as with other clubs throughout the country."

The club already offered lots of incentives to race participants, but would be looking closely at other ways to increase turnover, he said.

"I'm sure there will be continuing discussions between NZTR and ourselves going forward, looking at what changes will be necessary. But we're very pleased."

While it was initially recommended that both Hokitika and Reefton tracks be closed and the clubs relocate to one of the two other West Coast tracks, the NZTR Board said it saw merit in retaining three tracks on the Coast.

"The Board saw the benefit of Reefton for the time being as it provides additional accommodation for horses on the Coast circuit," Saundry said. "While it is the smallest track in the country and does need work to improve it as a racing venue, it does provide us with potentially better track conditions and an alternative venue if there is significant rain on the Coast during the traditional circuit."

The clubs which will relocate from the 2019-20 season are Dargaville RC; Thames JC; Stratford RC; Westland RC; Waimate JC, Winton JC and Wyndham RC. 

Dargaville, Thames, Waimate and Wyndham – have all recently raced at other venues.

"The decision we have made does not reflect on the efforts the very dedicated volunteers have put into these clubs over the years, but instead on the state of the industry and the significant issues it is facing," Saundry said.

"NZTR is committed to working alongside those clubs which will be racing at alternative venues to ensure that their transition goes smoothly," he said. 

"We will also be working with those clubs who are remaining at their venues to assist them in achieving the standards we have set for them."

Stuff

I can’t answer your question but I see it states in the report that a submission wasn’t received from the Waimate Club. In yesterdays local paper it was reported that Waimate definitely sent a submission in........ democracy in action?? 

1 hour ago, coro fan said:

I can’t answer your question but I see it states in the report that a submission wasn’t received from the Waimate Club. In yesterdays local paper it was reported that Waimate definitely sent a submission in........ democracy in action?? 

Real shame to see waimate club has to move, especially after all the hard work that went into the rebuilding of the grandstand, great little venue, and have been to the track some years ago, when they had some jumping races. Very sad for the other clubs to lose there identity, some which I haven't been to, hope to get to the riverton meeting, as I thought this may be its last year.

I’d love to know what Wairoa has to upgrade . It’s a Two day summer meeting that lends its to gazebos and the like . The public are very happy and content with the amenities  as far as I have experienced over the last decade or so.

3 hours ago, meomy said:

Racecourses are there for the betterment and enjoyment of all people in all regions, including for the health and well being of those people and there communities.

Is that regardless of the state of the industry ? . If only 75 were bothered to submit surly that proves very few are really interested .

Just had a family get to get together , someone called out ,  Winks is on , what , who's Winks , only 6 of the 25 attending new anything about Winks and they were 45yrs  or older , the younger one didn't have a clue .

If you want proof racings lost it's position in society and is fading into oblivion there it is , the younger generations aren't interested .

For me the message from this is change urgently  or die , without change/amalgamation improved facility's the end is near .

1 hour ago, puha said:

I’d love to know what Wairoa has to upgrade . It’s a Two day summer meeting that lends its to gazebos and the like . The public are very happy and content with the amenities  as far as I have experienced over the last decade or so.

A plastic running rail and a general tidy up and painting of buildings...always looks scruffy on tv

1 hour ago, MrBigStuff said:

A plastic running rail and a general tidy up and painting of buildings...always looks scruffy on tv

Running rail maybe. The rest is ok in person Far from scruffy . Best hospitality in the North Is for owners and trainers money and time spent in the right areas.

14 hours ago, coro fan said:

One thing that has struck me is the [ apparent ] disconnect between NZTR and whatever may follow from the Messara report - if anything.

Many of these clubs should be 'fighting' on two fronts,  but don't realise this.   Confusion has to play a part.

Some will have put in a submission to the DIA wrt to Messara's recommendations,  I'm picking that a lot of those will be thinking that that was all that was required...but NZTR had their own agenda for submissions too.

26 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

One thing that has struck me is the [ apparent ] disconnect between NZTR and whatever may follow from the Messara report - if anything.

Many of these clubs should be 'fighting' on two fronts,  but don't realise this.   Confusion has to play a part.

Some will have put in a submission to the DIA wrt to Messara's recommendations,  I'm picking that a lot of those will be thinking that that was all that was required...but NZTR had their own agenda for submissions too.

What all clubs should keep in mind with regards to the Venue Plan is that the first Stage is called "Phase One", I'm sure they can work out the rest.

14 hours ago, tripple alliance said:

Is that regardless of the state of the industry ? . If only 75 were bothered to submit surly that proves very few are really interested .

Just had a family get to get together , someone called out ,  Winks is on , what , who's Winks , only 6 of the 25 attending new anything about Winks and they were 45yrs  or older , the younger one didn't have a clue .

If you want proof racings lost it's position in society and is fading into oblivion there it is , the younger generations aren't interested .

For me the message from this is change urgently  or die , without change/amalgamation improved facility's the end is near .

To be fair how many of those younger ones had any interest in rugby either. Even I could only name two members of the Blues. 

13 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Yes, I suspect you are probably correct - also there was a reasonably tight timeframe for clubs to get their submissions in as well.

The closures of Timaru,  Motukarara, etc,  are dependant upon the allweather being installed at Riccarton to take up the racedates to be shifted, according to Mr Saundry.

Given the Shane Jones funding confusion,  as well as my own concerns about resource consent for the undertaking within a large city, and close to the airport/flightpath [ standing water ]  that is likely to be an ongoing will it/ won't it situation.

Personally,  I think if Rangiora was re-vamped,  all the others could be dispensed with.  Two tracks,  close to the city, offering very different but complentary facilities.....why the need to spend millions to be spent/wasted when a fraction could do the job?

Timaru, notwithstanding the above,  is dual-code and also host to a number of trainers of both codes.

My own notion [ for what its worth ]   is that the one-day a year clubs should be allowed to remain [ with reasonable safety provisions of course]  as they do an admirable job,  and most are very well patronised.   Severely reduce the rest,  and upgrade the remaining to give owners and patrons a decent experience - and the horses decent footing.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:16 PM, tripple alliance said:

the 'slide' gathers momentum - no racing in the CD this Easter!

2 hours ago, tripple alliance said:

It's not that bad , two days at Riverton , that should inspire the punters .

The noms at Riverton are bigger than I have seen at any other NZ meeting for a long time. It will be interesting to see if they split the rating 72 with 29 noms. They are sometimes reluctant to split $25,000 races in the South. Quite exciting to see what I think may be the first 2yo race of the season in Southland, only six months or so behind the rest of the country.

Part of the reason NZracing has become so boring , racing at the same boring venues all the time, the Venue Plan would have been better off re-igniting some of these venues instead of attempting to de-licence them.

There is just no decent initiative shown in NZ racing and that's why it continues down a slippery slope. My understanding is that these venues that lost licences weren't even offered alternative dates , that defies comprehension.

NZTR seems to be jumping the gun with the MAC yet to go to cabinet and the process of implementation of the Messara report yet to be determined

Also the venue plan was an initiative of the three codes chaired by the NZRB.

Just a bit of sabre rattling to try and make themselves relevant (which they are not).

25 minutes ago, Patiti said:

NZTR seems to be jumping the gun with the MAC yet to go to cabinet and the process of implementation of the Messara report yet to be determined

Also the venue plan was an initiative of the three codes chaired by the NZRB.

Just a bit of sabre rattling to try and make themselves relevant (which they are not).

I have a feeling that's it's all about Bernard Saundry to try and make out he's worth the $250,000.00 [gross] that he's being paid per year!

13 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

The noms at Riverton are bigger than I have seen at any other NZ meeting for a long time. It will be interesting to see if they split the rating 72 with 29 noms. They are sometimes reluctant to split $25,000 races in the South. Quite exciting to see what I think may be the first 2yo race of the season in Southland, only six months or so behind the rest of the country.

Agree, cup noms very strong to, given the 100k cup race at riccarton, last Saturday didn't have an overly big field, 17 noms for riverton cup, Tommy tucker leading the charge, fields out later today, be a very good days racing. Hope to get there, then will be able to tick that meeting off my list.

30 minutes ago, Shad said:

Agree, cup noms very strong to, given the 100k cup race at riccarton, last Saturday didn't have an overly big field, 17 noms for riverton cup, Tommy tucker leading the charge, fields out later today, be a very good days racing. Hope to get there, then will be able to tick that meeting off my list.

Riverton is unique in that it is virtually the only iconic provincial meeting that actually gets strong fields. Other similar meetings get large crowds because they are on significant dates, like Boxing Day or New Years day, or have a venue like Tauherenikau, but none of those meetings ever get good fields. Riverton even races on a date that the rest of the country has abandoned these days. I seem to recall Feilding used to race at Easter but haven't continued that tradition since they moved. Good to see the Easter Handicap at Ellerslie back at Easter time as well.

37 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

It seems NZTR is trying to remain relevant, to be heard......after all these years of doing nothing useful.....I suspect it’s far too little and far too late.....NZTR and their bastard child The Trainers Association should be abandoned, left to drown in their own puddle of mediocrity, incompetence, and insignificance

With regard to these closures, what exactly with the material gains to the industry be ? Other than having to reschedule the clubs in questions meetings to other courses...some of which simply aren’t fit to accommodate more racing.....

And if these clubs being forced into retirement do cash up their assets please tell me the proceeds are going to be used according to each clubs constitution and not handed over to the industry ( NZTR God forbid !! ) 

I imagine most of the clubs will leave their tracks, sponsors and supporters, to the trots and not bother moving elsewhere: much like Nelson and Westport. I find it hard to believe Blenheim will bother racing at Riccarton. Not all clubs have the luxury of the often quoted Feilding of being able to sell their track for millions and move ten minutes down the road to Awapuni. In some cases it will provide a vacuum that should be filled by the trots if they are on the ball.