RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Patiti

Saundry on trackside

I listened to Peter interviewing Bernard about the Informant. He said he was going to meet with all parties and see if the issue could be resolved.

Suggesting some amalgamation of the Informant, Best Bets and the on course race book.

I don't recall any mention of the NZRB or other codes.

Didn't seem to be aware of who currently supplies all these products, what cost. and what the TAB site provides directly.

To me this is another attempt to try to claim same direct control of there own "product" notwithstanding arrangements between all codes and the TAB over many years.

There has always been a link between NZRB and Informant. Not just the data but the programming of the layout. 

As suggested before there is no need for Informant to print raceform just basic fields, concentrate on advertising and articles, extend the shelf life, get retailers putting up signage which also promotes racing in general, and sell it so the general public buys it e.g. $2.00 just for retailer commission.

Off course the TAB supplies the data and layout as far as NZ is concerned. Australia form I'm not sure. Its always been in TAB interests to be supplying it but nowadays I don't think so. The only reason for the Best Bets in competition is the need for TAB not to be reliant on an outside source.

Sure the Informant wants a monopoloy but if they had to complile all the data it wouldn't get of the ground.

PFP....you are right. They source their form from Australia as the NZRB were trying to muscle them to gain leverage. It was decided that to be fully independent and remain an autonomous entity, that going the Aussie data route was the best one. The NZRB's commercial and strategic approach, with regards to the Best Bets, was and still is , an absolute shambles. A fortune was spent buying it, and with a readership of approx. 1000, it remains a financial and political disaster. 

It is a disgrace what has happened and what this industry needs to do is provide a unified front on this issue. Horse people and the racing industry needs the Informant's presence to remain relevant. I believe we will save it but it needs the industry's commitment to help, and by industry I don't only mean the bureaucracies. They are only part of it. The wider audience needs to help make it relevant.

The INFORMANT needs support to survive. Who can afford that? It should be those who make money out of this game. By and large its not the Punter, the Owner or the Trainer. That leaves the Breeder who has most to lose if racing goes tits up. Thats is majorly an export industry that cant survive without a local racing presence. Its already being downgraded by lack of numbers and class.

A solution would be to levy all sales of bloodstock say 3% ???? The Breeders would scream unfair! Then take 3% off all stakes payouts before service providers get paid. So. then you have all those who benefit from involvement paying a small share.

You say 3% wouldnt work. Well NZB are commission based and they survive. Now you would have serious marketing grunt and Racing could be built up again from a strong financial base. Once that happens the levies can be reduced.

The problem with NZRB and NZTR they are strapped for cash and if you are that, you are reactive, The above levies suggested should go to an independent body so funds are not southed off.

The supply of form to the Informant is a mish mash. If the NZ form comes via Australia it still originates in NZ by the TAB who in turn rely on the codes e.g NZTR. Perhaps Informant tweaks the pdf layouts but originally the pdf layouts were done by TAB.

So basically with a publication there is a conflict. The TAB desperately requires a cheap weekly covering all codes plus sports whilst the participants buying the Informant love to see their name in print but from an industry growth on the wagering front it is of little value to the TAB. Even the name The Informant does nothing to promote racing via billboards or signage whereas Best Bets, Turf Digest, Sportsweek, would.

To repeat a resurrected Informant needs to ditch the form supplement, reduce price, increase advertising as circulation climbs and change its name.

11 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Everything you’ve said in this thread so far is rubbish.....nothing’s changed......but do remind us all again why you’re such an expert in racing media / information dissemination 

When it comes to personal abuse certainly I admit I'm not an expert. 

I have put forward a formula and yes I've been involved in advertising, publishing printed and digital including racing. 

16 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

“Being involved” means SFA....talk us through your success stories so we can understand why you’re so strongly ( and wrongly ) opinionated on this matter 

This isn't Linkedin so I am not going to bore everyone with my resume.

When it comes to racing publishing I don't think many can claim great financial success. My most ambitious project was the Harness equivalent to Racing Facts which Ray O'Connor was involved with. My publication received considerable acclaim was about 600 pages but preceded only by months the internet. Fair to say it didn't make money but it taught me a few things just like yourself going bankrupt has taught you a few things.

As far as racing information goes could you explain why the first port of call for several presenters, bookies, journalists is my web site and has been for 20 years. I don't lay claim to it being modern or keeping up with IT developments  but it had several aspects that subsequent sites have copied. It still has some aspects unique I haven't seen anywhere in the world. 

AS for computing I had one of the first home computer shops in Auckland and going back more than 50 years first in NZ to graduate with a computer programming qualification. AS for advertising going back quite a while I sold considerable advertising to space including to the hardest sells of all the TAB.

Sorry to others for the personal details no doubt it will open me up to rubbishing but this thread is not about me. Apart from Nerula few have got the nerve to put up ideas.

50 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

As I thought......nothing.....leave The Informant to those who’ve got sone vision and understanding of where modern racing media is going, not that I know who’s funding the renaissance of that publication, and what their vision is

True to "form" you can't resist the sneering comments. Given the areas I have pointed out I feel I am more than qualified to offer my tuppence worth on this forum. Take it or leave it but I suggest you leave your abuse in the gutter where it belongs.

1 hour ago, puha said:

Most racing people also love a sports bet . Why couldn’t we have a publication that covers both ? Then you’d probably get sports bettors pickings up the publication and a fair few taking an interest in the horses as well.Win/Win 

Racing Post has  a huge sports betting section to go with the racing . Match previews etc to go with tons of racing . I suppose it comes down to population size to make it work financially.

4 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

I don’t know anything about the business model but I’d love to see something like Racing.com in NZ, with a race video library interfaced with it.

The Ozzie’s just do it better and we need to use them for inspiration 

100 per cent agree  , it's a  really good website.Plenty of interesting background videos uploaded.