RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Rules For Some

Brendan Cole

I see charges were filed today by the SPCA against him. Now my question is why has he and his family been allowed to continue to race during the investigation? There are no excuses as we have seen grnz can make and change rules whenever they want to stop people they dislike. Bloody disgraceful

What I find strange is that Cole is the only one in NZ that has allegedly been live baiting or dead baiting. Surely he isn’t the only one or perhaps his high profile is going to be reward enough. Now I don’t condone this behaviour if found guilty but I believe it had to be more wide spread. I like level playing fields but I suppose that is a dreamer talking. 

There are plenty of examples of it occurring in the past, although the same kennel has been caught up in it several times. If anyone else is caught doing this out dated practice, they to should be punished. It no longer matters what anyones opinion is on the Matter, live baiting is illegal by law and live and dead baiting is illegal under the grnz rules.

30 minutes ago, Bunson said:

What I find strange is that Cole is the only one in NZ that has allegedly been live baiting or dead baiting. Surely he isn’t the only one or perhaps his high profile is going to be reward enough. Now I don’t condone this behaviour if found guilty but I believe it had to be more wide spread. I like level playing fields but I suppose that is a dreamer talking. 

Bunson if you have evidence of anyone baiting - live or dead please come forward.  

I would like to have believed that there was none of this behaviour going on in NZ but sadly it looks like I’m wrong :(

1 hour ago, Bunson said:

What I find strange is that was your first post since you joined in 2015. The beliefs of old are just that. The practice is outlawed and was banned long before you joined this forum. Only a complete idiot or money hungry piece of crap would even think of continuing such an abhorrent and unnecessary practice. Widespread is a big claim.

1 hour ago, Rules For Some said:

I see charges were filed today by the SPCA against him. Now my question is why has he and his family been allowed to continue to race during the investigation? There are no excuses as we have seen grnz can make and change rules whenever they want to stop people they dislike. Bloody disgraceful

I sincerely hope suspension is actioned quickly. To do nothing will cause a huge rift within our sport and diminish our public credibility/license.

I too would sincerely hope the practice of baiting is not widespread, particularly live baiting. If proven guilty you would have trouble convincing me that a heap of people apart from those that have come forward would not have known about it.

And some of those would surely be prominent within the industry.

There was the incident back in 2012 where the Mann's claimed they were given permission to "catch" rabbits by the Waikato president during the late hrs of the night at the track.

This is just one more incident that was covered up. Id hope the practice is not widespread in NZ, but I find it hard to believe.

9 hours ago, Emotive said:

What I find strange is that was your first post since you joined in 2015. The beliefs of old are just that. The practice is outlawed and was banned long before you joined this forum. Only a complete idiot or money hungry piece of crap would even think of continuing such an abhorrent and unnecessary practice. Widespread is a big claim.

Yes this maybe my first post in a long time and I agree with you completely that it is a abhorrent practice. I am a little old fashioned and still believe in old sayings like where there’s smoke there’s fire. Like most I hope this is a isolated case.i haven’t heard of it being practiced here in NZ and even this one got me by surprise Making the comment widespread was wrong I should proof read before posting. 

9 hours ago, Everton said:

I too would sincerely hope the practice of baiting is not widespread, particularly live baiting. If proven guilty you would have trouble convincing me that a heap of people apart from those that have come forward would not have known about it.

And some of those would surely be prominent within the industry.

Please grnz...make a public statement...don't hope it just goes away.....does not look good

2 hours ago, Hound Fan said:

Please grnz...make a public statement...don't hope it just goes away.....does not look good

Just tuned in to hear Peter Earley's radio show, he went through his list of guests and interview subjects then said at the end rather sarcastically.."no one from Greyhound Racing NZ today".

What a lie by those in charge at GRNZ. All you need to do is ring the Palmerston North District court and ask about Brendan Coles case. You will be given the person charged, the charges and the date the charges are heard (May 7th). Shame on you GRNZ! What a bunch of Fuckwits. This Mario Barsi needs a wake up call, hes destroying this industry

It's a sad state of affairs and I can see bothe sides of the argument. It's tough and depends on the law and the GRNZ rules and GRNZ and RIU must act within them.

If they were to stop the Cole dogs racing and they are cleared then Coles may well have a legal case against the PTB's. Under the current rules they obviously don't have the power to act until after one is found guilty in the court. At present B. Cole has only been charged. 

As a consequence of this episode GRNZ and RIU may need to revisit and change the rules in the event something like this occurs again. Then they'll have the power to suspend one's licenece pending the outcome of the court case. 

Laws in Australia vary from state to state and when those trainers over there were caught allegedly live baiting a few years ago, some were suspended immediately whilst others weren't, others  took legal action and were re-instated. Only last week one high profile trainer who was suspended and banned for life was cleared in court and is now free to train again. He has not just lost four years of possible earnings but suffered considerable personal cost and a tarnished image. Is that fair ?  

5 hours ago, Rules For Some said:

this is the statement made might I add https://www.grnz.co.nz/News.aspx?NewsID=3106

God that's a weak statement isn't it? Makes it sound like that the first GRNZ heard of the issue was in the media two days ago. Don't they watch TV or read Race Cafe? Everybody else in the country knew all about it what, 18 months ago, except for the governing body?

1 hour ago, Flabbergasted said:

If they were to stop the Cole dogs racing and they are cleared then Coles may well have a legal case against the PTB's. Under the current rules they obviously don't have the power to act until after one is found guilty in the court. At present B. Cole has only been charged. 

As a consequence of this episode GRNZ and RIU may need to revisit and change the rules in the event something like this occurs again. Then they'll have the power to suspend one's licenece pending the outcome of the court case. 

I believe the fundamental point your missing is that Brendon, through his own doing and for reasons unknown is only realistically titled as a kennel hand in relation to any employment governing regulations and likely no more than a owner/handler and registered Lp within the greyhound racing associations documents, he’s clearly not registered as a trainer? Tell me how many “kennel hands” or handlers would be allowed to continue to participate whilst under investigation for such serious charges? The SPCA investigation has taken almost 2yrs, you can’t tell me they don’t have a rock solid case after that long. GRNZ are under no illusions now or previously as to who the actual trainer is and are clearly playing the nice guy cards by not revoking his handlers license and Lp status knowing full well that their rules would then prevent him from “being directly involved with day to day operations” and from being on the property where the training facility is.

6 hours ago, Flabbergasted said:

It's a sad state of affairs and I can see bothe sides of the argument. It's tough and depends on the law and the GRNZ rules and GRNZ and RIU must act within them.

Laws in Australia vary from state to state and when those trainers over there were caught allegedly live baiting a few years ago, some were suspended immediately whilst others weren't, others  took legal action and were re-instated. Only last week one high profile trainer who was suspended and banned for life was cleared in court and is now free to train again. He has not just lost four years of possible earnings but suffered considerable personal cost and a tarnished image. Is that fair ?  

Yes, it is fair. Most of the trainers who were caught in Aus were well known for it. Even if they are deemed "innocent" by common law, that doesn't make them innocent.

The biggest problem with alot of the Australian cases was that the photos were not allowed in court as they were obtained illegally on private property. A few others, like the trainer let of recently, were also only implicated through hearsay.

These photos were technically obtained legally as the camera was allowed on the neighbors property which is a huge difference.

Also, under grnz rules of racing, they can warn off/suspend/kick out anyone the board deems unfit, so grnz statements that they can't do anything are a crock of shit.

I know of another person who has made it well known that his license was not renewed based on false allegations that were proven false by the JCA

This is going to be a very interesting case given the new animal welfare regulations which came into force on the first of October 2018. One of the most significant changes was the reclassification of dogs to "sentient beings." I have reviewed a number of successful prosecutions and there has been a shift by courts toward the acceptance of emotional harm not just physical harm. That can be applied to bait and dog. 

I have also investigated the crown prosecution team who will be formidable advocates for the SPCA. The warrant holder has extensive experience in criminal law and prosecuted the "Lundy" case. I am told the first court appearance is set down for the 7th of May, but I will check the detail myself. This will be the first prosecution of its type in NZ. If a second case ever came to court, it will be curtains.

5 hours ago, My Two Cents said:

I believe the fundamental point your missing is that Brendon, through his own doing and for reasons unknown is only realistically titled as a kennel hand in relation to any employment governing regulations and likely no more than a owner/handler and registered Lp within the greyhound racing associations documents, he’s clearly not registered as a trainer? Tell me how many “kennel hands” or handlers would be allowed to continue to participate whilst under investigation for such serious charges? The SPCA investigation has taken almost 2yrs, you can’t tell me they don’t have a rock solid case after that long. GRNZ are under no illusions now or previously as to who the actual trainer is and are clearly playing the nice guy cards by not revoking his handlers license and Lp status knowing full well that their rules would then prevent him from “being directly involved with day to day operations” and from being on the property where the training facility is.

He is a licensed kennel hand due to being declared bankrupt by the courts. An exception was made by our board to let him continue in the lesser role. A trainers license was issued to Lisa Ahern now Cole and all the dogs were transferred into her name. I believe he is now discharged, whether he has since applied to have his trainer's license reinstated is unknown.

I should add that photos taken illegally in NZ have been accepted in the court of law in the past unlike Australia.

There was an incident where a farmer had illegal photos taken of animal cruelty and they were accepted in the courts.

So there is some case law in NZ that supports that these photos will not be dismissed from court 

11 hours ago, Flabbergasted said:

Flabber, you seem like a good person and usually think out your posts but they lack logic this time.

The NZGRA and RIU have acted with alacrity in several cases to remove peoples licenses , warn them off and stop them dealing in anything to do with greyhounds on several occasions just in recent history and even acted outside the law to do this in at least one case. They have pursued people with unjust vigour and it would be fair to say 'hounded' them. In this case they have gone out of their way to avoid offending the accused.

I have always been an advocate for everyone being innocent until proven guilty but this case goes beyond that. Brendon is acting as he allowed to. There has been no word from the governing bodies for him to do otherwise so why would he do anything different. The situation that we find ourselves in could have been minimized if the RIU and GRNZ had acted with their previous urgency

38 minutes ago, Rules For Some said:

I should add that photos taken illegally in NZ have been accepted in the court of law in the past unlike Australia.

There was an incident where a farmer had illegal photos taken of animal cruelty and they were accepted in the courts.

So there is some case law in NZ that supports that these photos will not be dismissed from court 

The courts come down hard on animal welfare issues and our courts do not care if photos are illegal......just have a look at the cleaver case only months ago...the photos in that were in his nackerey....