RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Riccarton Grandstand

Does anyone have any idea what is happening to the public grandstand at Riccarton. I see it is still there. Only seven months to the next Cup Week: the last one was a fiasco. I did check their website, but no mention of it whatsoever. I can remember the days when the top deck was jam packed for the Grand National: obviously not this year.

Remember those days, was a novelty getting up the top to see the feature races, who would have thought all the years later, and it's just ordinment, bloody shame, I have no idea what they will do with it, but I guess there will be only one option, given all the safety rules.

In the last annual report it was still tied up with the insurers causing difficulties, so am assuming this is still the case as no update has been sent to members as far as I am aware.

Real shame, as there were a lot of upset people after last years cup week who probably wont be back anytime soon.   Cant say I blame them, as I am a member, and I wont be going back to the second Saturday after last years issues, pretty ridiculous when as a member I cant even get into the members stand to watch a race or buy a drink due to overcrowding.

2 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

I can't help either,  no one seems to want to discuss it.

Given the time taken to do anything around the place,  it will be years before it is taken down...not a quick fix for sure but tje soonest started, the more quickly finished.

It's just a bit too big to hope the problem will go away and no one will notice it.

1 hour ago, premixer said:

In the last annual report it was still tied up with the insurers causing difficulties, so am assuming this is still the case as no update has been sent to members as far as I am aware.

Real shame, as there were a lot of upset people after last years cup week who probably wont be back anytime soon.   Cant say I blame them, as I am a member, and I wont be going back to the second Saturday after last years issues, pretty ridiculous when as a member I cant even get into the members stand to watch a race or buy a drink due to overcrowding.

I know of people who felt very ripped off last Cup Day as the club gave them no warning at all that there would be no facilities for the public and nowhere to watch the races. It isn't a good look for NZ racing, surely someone from the Racing Board could get involved. 

I suppose their insurance policy might specify that they have to rebuild something of similar size, which would obviously be pointless in this day and age. I haven't been to Addington for years: don't they just have open seating where their public stand used to be?

2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I know of people who felt very ripped off last Cup Day as the club gave them no warning at all that there would be no facilities for the public and nowhere to watch the races. 

So do I...but what is the worst aspect of that - and no one blames to club for the situation per se,  earthquakes do make buildings unsafe -   is that the office staff seemed to think that there was little [ if any ] negative feedback at all.

No.

On 4/8/2019 at 10:58 AM, Pam Robson said:

So do I...but what is the worst aspect of that - and no one blames to club for the situation per se,  earthquakes do make buildings unsafe -   is that the office staff seemed to think that there was little [ if any ] negative feedback at all.

No. I doubt they would be receiving any negative feedback from those of us who have decided not to attend or race there any more.