RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
LightsOut

This TAB website...

is that slow to operate it's no surprise what Organisation it belongs to. Still no race stakes listed for each race but unbelievably on the results page it tells you. I want to know the stake amount prior to the result not after. You couldn't make this outfit up as to how incompetent and clueless they are. Industry is going backwards and this outfit wants to speed that up %^&* me.

Found an overseas site that is quicker and has the basic info punters want so bye bye NZ TAB you have finally lost me. I stuck with them as own interests in a couple of horses but enough is enough. Just a hopeless unmotivated and uneducated organisation.  

The bit that always amuses me is how the form guide always converts Aussie stakes to NZ? dollars, hence a $A100,000 race becomes a $109,000 race. That in itself seems totally pointless, but the amusing bit is how they do the same to NZ stakes so a $NZ100,000 race at Ellerslie for instance also becomes a $109,000 race. Not sure what dollars they are converting NZ stakes to: Chatham Island dollars perhaps. Just half-witted incompetence really. Surely NZ punters know that Australian race clubs will be paying out Australian dollars.

3 hours ago, LightsOut said:

Still no race stakes listed for each race but unbelievably on the results page it tells you. I want to know the stake amount prior to the result not after.

I think Des Coppins said today that this will be done later this month.

11 minutes ago, Bimbo said:

I think Des Coppins said today that this will be done later this month.

Correct. 

Quite a few changes coming in "late April", including listing the stake for each race. 

The horse has bolted though. 

Hi Guys my theory for what its worth,they were so quick to sign off this horrible web site and get there snouts down to the beer and bbq that they didnt think to ask who owns this web site? Now they have to get the people who set this up on a 1999  platform including buffering on every page .They have to now fly them back to nz to up grade all the mistakes .This is another huge cost but they will put it down to training.

56 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

They are asleep at the wheel again this morning and misleading punters.

They have the track at Rotorua as a Dead 5 not having updated it. The track is officially a Slow 7.

Laziness or incompetence take your pick.  

Someone has just arrived at work,  woken up or left the coffee machine. Track just updated on the website to a Slow 7. :rolleyes:

On 4/11/2019 at 1:17 PM, Boss Hogg said:

Hi Guys my theory for what its worth,they were so quick to sign off this horrible web site and get there snouts down to the beer and bbq that they didnt think to ask who owns this web site? Now they have to get the people who set this up on a 1999  platform including buffering on every page .They have to now fly them back to nz to up grade all the mistakes .This is another huge cost but they will put it down to training.

Sounds like you have good background. I'm beginning to think those that designed JetBet back in the eighty's were genuises. Love to know all those who were responsible for it as it obviously stood the test of time. 

Interestingly JetBet had a major upgrade around 2003 at a cost of some $8M. So being rather cynical why was a 2003 system replaced with a 1999 system?

1 hour ago, slam dunk said:

Sounds like you have good background. I'm beginning to think those that designed JetBet back in the eighty's were genuises. Love to know all those who were responsible for it as it obviously stood the test of time. 

Interestingly JetBet had a major upgrade around 2003 at a cost of some $8M. So being rather cynical why was a 2003 system replaced with a 1999 system?

Don't forget there was another programme called Typhoon or something like that a few years ago that chewed up many millions before it was abandoned. Presumably they learnt something from that debacle.  I suppose they did learn not to name this new system after a natural disaster.

42 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Don't forget there was another programme called Typhoon or something like that a few years ago that chewed up many millions before it was abandoned. Presumably they learnt something from that debacle.  I suppose they did learn not to name this new system after a natural disaster.

True, but this one is an unmitigated disaster......

New jockey riding in the South Island.....:rcf-nerd:

190405-Saturday-Racing_08.jpg

The Quinella Bet
Race 2 @ 12:57pm

KhitanWarrior.png

#2 Khitan Warrior - $4.20/$1.28
Terry Warrior

Bet Now

Form

Solid efforts behind some smart ones in the early part of Spring. Has had a long break and looks to have come back in very good order after an easy trial win last month. Selections: 2-1-4-3

190412-Saturday-Racing_03.jpg

On 4/9/2019 at 4:05 PM, LightsOut said:

Hopefully a few well overdue changes coming in some other areas as well.

Hopefully better video, get sick of watching a race that plays intermittently and miss the finish

On 4/12/2019 at 5:42 AM, rdytdy said:

True, but this one is an unmitigated disaster......

Indeed. I was talking to a friend who works in the industry and I told him what they spent on the website and he couldn'r understand how it was possible to spend that much because there are so many platforms available, none of which cost anything like the figures being thrown around by Allen and co. Has anyone seen an actual breakdown of the costs of the new platform, or did this relatively unknown company just invoice the NZRB for $39 million or whatever it was?

On 4/14/2019 at 11:27 PM, Phantom said:

Indeed. I was talking to a friend who works in the industry and I told him what they spent on the website and he couldn'r understand how it was possible to spend that much because there are so many platforms available, none of which cost anything like the figures being thrown around by Allen and co. Has anyone seen an actual breakdown of the costs of the new platform, or did this relatively unknown company just invoice the NZRB for $39 million or whatever it was?

Brian de Lore did a useful article on the costing.  https://theinformant.co.nz/wagering-experience-a-key-requirement-for-tab/

However I've read up about costs for all sorts of systems medium to large. The one common realization is that correcting errors or implementing changes can balloon the costs far exceeding the initial capital cost. Even though the changes may sound simple they usually are not. It means other changes down stream from one change. Anyway the accepted IT industry figure for fixing a system not done right the first time is 40%. So if the initial cost was $40M we really should be looking at $65M.

Thanks Slam Dunk excellent article from someone who really gets it. Compares the new platform to Typhoon.

Allow me to paste a couple of extracts:

‘Déjà vu’ some will be screaming, and not without justification, except inflation has kept pace, and then some. It may also have also been ‘déjà vu’ for NZRB General Manager of Technology Dianna Taylor, who resigned from her position soon after the FOB was launched on January 7 and after only two years in the job.

Taylor had been previously employed at Kiwibank, which had an association with NZ Post, and on the NZRB’s website her brief biography read, in part, “…at Kiwibank Dianna led the consolidation and streamlining of Kiwibank’s operational banking functions, headed the development of the strategic technology roadmap that underpins Kiwibank’s strategy, and as CIO was accountable for enabling Kiwibank to continue to deliver its strategic business objectives, which are heavily predicated on technology deliverables.”

‘Technology deliverables’ is an interesting term. Taylor had left Kiwibank in 2017 but in that same year the new computer system she helped establish had to be mothballed and written off after being deemed unfit for purpose after just six months’ use, at a cost of between $90 million and $100 million.

“Dianna Taylor hasn’t left but she has announced she is going to leave,” John Allen said. “Nothing to do with the website; she’s terrific and has been one of the key drivers in getting this done and it’s been a hugely complex task and people really don’t understand how significant a change this has been.

“It would be the largest technology project this board has ever done and Dianna has just been a tower of strength in terms of doing all that.

and 

Racing NSW CEO Peter Vlandys summed up the New Zealand situation best when interviewed in Sydney last August when he said, “It seems to be a fragmented system in New Zealand where you have the Racing Board overseeing the three codes and from what I can see the management aren’t really racing people, so they don’t understand the business.

“I think you need to have that wagering experience, not just a little bit but whoever is the CEO of the TAB must have a substantial amount of wagering experience– it’s different to any other part of the commercial world."

Who knew?