Mattski

All Weather track Waikato

16 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Mattski said:

Has any progress been made on starting this?? Thx

There are going to be three all weather tracks I read a while ago, I think one at Riccarton. I couldn't see much evidence of progress yesterday  but only watched a few races from there on TV yesterday and infield looked as per normal. I can only awesome they are building the maintainance facilities for the track out back first before they start the track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hooton says Tooth Fairy should call a snap election and if she does so would win in a landslide. Winston First is consigned to history and with it AWT Messara Report, Jonesy PGF.

In will come the CGT and we head towards Venuzuela lifestyle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nerula said:

Hooton says Tooth Fairy should call a snap election and if she does so would win in a landslide. Winston First is consigned to history and with it AWT Messara Report, Jonesy PGF.

In will come the CGT and we head towards Venuzuela lifestyle.

 

No chance of an early election.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's still relying on selling off the other courses to fund it, esp Avondale .  Heard through the grapevine that some intend to  stand and fight .  Hopefully with quite a few lawyers having served  recently on these  club's committee's , they might help clubs fight the Whiskey'd One's plans, pro -  bono. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking - as well as the above comments - that once the MAC report is appropriately digested by both Cabinet and the DIA there will be a clearer idea of what - if anything - might happen.

Given the fact that many rural areas are served by Nat M.P's, aas well as the general dislike for W.P in the House,  traction of any sort is certainly no given.

As for allweathers?  I am not aware that Shane Jones's lolly scramble has been received,  or is likley to be....which leaves THAT topic unfinished.

WRT Riccarton,  as well as the huge expense, there is the matter of resource consent for water storage/runoff for such an undertaking within a large city, in close proximity to housing - and the airport flight path.

Personally,  I hope it doesnt go ahead,  regardless of what may transpire in other areas.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I’d rather see the natural surfaces and facilities upgraded at the city clubs and keep our country clubs as a feeder system for both horses and general interest . At the end of the day selling a country club would probably only yield the resources to cover some unknown consultants fees . Which would be a complete waste of money and history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, puha said:

Personally I’d rather see the natural surfaces and facilities upgraded at the city clubs and keep our country clubs as a feeder system for both horses and general interest . At the end of the day selling a country club would probably only yield the resources to cover some unknown consultants fees . Which would be a complete waste of money and history.

Unfortunately, it's the big clubs like Trentham and Riccarton that have the worst winter tracks. Hard to really see how they could be improved given the results of all previous attempts to bring them up to scratch. The SI does have the use of good winter tracks at Oamaru, Waimate, Timaru and Ashburton: oh yes, just realised most of them are going to be closed down. And there are reasonable existing tracks in the north as well, such as Foxton, but there is a reluctance to use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the risk of a very public evisceration....there is a perfectly good track/facilities at Rangiora - which with a bit of remodeling would cater for winter racing very well.

Free draining and close to ChCh...no need to travel miles away....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

At the risk of a very public evisceration....there is a perfectly good track/facilities at Rangiora - which with a bit of remodeling would cater for winter racing very well.

Free draining and close to ChCh...no need to travel miles away....

Isn't that another one that is in the too hard basket Pam, just like the Riccarton grandstand? Ignore it and hope it goes away.

I don't think Rangiora was ever traditionally used much in the winter time. I certainly can't recall jumps races there and in those days all winter race-meetings had jumps races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Yes, had hurdle races - and even hurdle trials, I ran one in a trial there.

I really do think a lot more effort should be put into hurdle racing in the SI. If there was a series of decent staked hurdle races in Canterbury it would create a bit of interest through the winter and early spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm....Riccarton likes the 'glory' of staging a Grand National,  but does shit all to contribute to the development of jumpers overall.

The schooling fences have only just been put back up after their summer  'repairs' and there is no jump racing held there now apart from the G.N.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pam Robson said:

Hmmm....Riccarton likes the 'glory' of staging a Grand National,  but does shit all to contribute to the development of jumpers overall.

The schooling fences have only just been put back up after their summer  'repairs' and there is no jump racing held there now apart from the G.N.

I think it is disgraceful that the only jumps at Riccarton are during Grand National week.  They expect everyone else to provide the lead-ups for them. It is a pity that time honoured names like the Homeby have disappeared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now