RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GOM

Black arm bands

Two points about the wearing of black arm bands.

Firstly, it would be a great assistance if the commentator at the meeting concerned could explain maybe a few times during the day why they are being worn. Nearly every time they are worn at a dog meeting I receive calls from people asking if I know why they are being worn. One yesterday from a long time greyhound participant who watched several races wondering who had died.

Secondly, the same person that rang about not knowing the name asked why only some handlers were wearing the arm bands. I had already noticed that and it looked terrible and disrespectful. Either everyone wears the bands or no one.

Looked a shamble Waikato, get your act together

As I understand from a visting handler they were asked if they wished to wear a arm band, freedom of choice I belive thank god we still have that for the mean time the way things are changing in this country.

What a load of cobblers. I have never ever been given the choice in the same circumstances and neither should I. It is not a matter of personal choice it is the club showing respect for the loss of one of its former members.  This was disrespectful and unnecessary. Terrible look.

You are right about one thing though .The way times are changing in this country. People with their own personal agenda's and fragile ego's putting themselves ahead of common sense and decency.

I think I even saw Miss Waikato not wearing one.

GOM I also saw the arm bands and rang a trainer on course to ask who they were for, their response was “They are for David Schofield, thank goodness the club let us wear them as the Auckland president would not allow us to on Sunday” 

Apparently The Auckland president said “Not many people like Denis, he’s been banned, we don’t want to open a can of worms - we have sent flowers , that’s enough”

I find this to be an absolute disgusting attitude from any human.

Shame on you Auckland!

Many trainers are long time friends of David’s and as the family had made it known that “greyhound people” were not welcome at the funeral they were very keen to show there respect for him in this way.

Cambridge allowed those people to do such and I think that is the respectful thing to have done - full credit to them.

Just because a few people didn’t feel the same way and refused to wear them (totally their prerogative) this should not stomp on their compassion & respect.

RIP David

Doesn't surprise me about Auckland but it is still disgusting.

I would like to point out to these people that if you look at the top trainer award for the Auckland and Waikato clubs  for the last 20 years you will not find many years where the Schofield name does not appear, if you trace back through  a lot of the pedigree's of successful bitch lines and some sirelines you will find the Schofields either trained or sourced many of them , if you look at the number of trainers who were introduced to greyhounds by the Schofield family you find many, if you look at the amount of people within our industry with short memories you will find many.

To all my friends who chose not to wear an armband remember let him without sin cast the first stone.

I only found out about it on Sunday from Kay Herbert. When I got home I sent a PM to Pam & Dennis via her Facebook page giving them both my love & thoughts. Even thou I didn't get on to well with David I still respected the whole family for what they had done in the industry.

8 hours ago, GOM said:

Doesn't surprise me about Auckland but it is still disgusting.

I would like to point out to these people that if you look at the top trainer award for the Auckland and Waikato clubs  for the last 20 years you will not find many years where the Schofield name does not appear, if you trace back through  a lot of the pedigree's of successful bitch lines and some sirelines you will find the Schofields either trained or sourced many of them , if you look at the number of trainers who were introduced to greyhounds by the Schofield family you find many, if you look at the amount of people within our industry with short memories you will find many.

To all my friends who chose not to wear an armband remember let him without sin cast the first stone.

Agree with these sentiments GOM.

Very sad to hear about David's passing.

I have such fond memories of the DD Schofield kennels around the turn of the Millennium/early 2000s, they really were a superstar kennel with all their shiny new Aus Imports, that was my 'good old days'. Some dogs that come to mind...Smokin' Prince, Overtime, Big Sam Junior, Big Sam Banner, the Charlstons, Te Amore Lee, Astro Teddy ( creator of the greatest dog race of all time)...Theres many more champions I've forgotten..??

Anyway that's what I'll remember David for, my condolences to Denis and Pam. 

I dont know the circumstances around Dave's death but those who knew him, know he had his struggles, this is a sad end..RIP now David, Champion Trainer, gone too soon.

Condolences to the  Schofield familly, I cannot believe I have not read anything on the Greyhound NZGRA website in regards to the passing of David. His contribution to the sport for many years help grow the sport to what it is today. A very good dog person  and we can view viideos all day with some of the great Greyhounds and prestigious races he was involved with.  

It is just a pity the positive things had not been told 

This puts a bad taste in my mouth and have just about had enough with Greyhound Racing in NZ