poundforpound

The Informant Chutneyed

57 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Is it worth tipping money into if it was revamped in some way to be more online and functional...or a bit of both print and more online???

Scooby it is available on line but they need to make money,so then you subscribe and read the article and it ask you to subscribe.The NZRB have a history of failure and gave not one cent to their running cost of a paper they gave you the fields from NZ and AUST AND WITH LOCAL NEWS,John Allen along with the plate thrower and all the other board member should/must be asked to resign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite simply the NZ Racing Board should immediately go into damage control. 

Instantly reveiw where their print spend is, including the Best Bets, the useless daily newspapers, take some customer advice and then redirect the money to where it’s most effective. 

I not for propping up inefficient businesses, but where it can be identified as the most cost efficient, then that’s where the money should be spent and spent before it’s too late. 

It’s my guess that The Informant would come out on top. 

If they don’t immediately respond whatever the outcome, I will crusade more than ever for change starting with John Allen and the farking useless Board. 

Liz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Insider said:

Quite simply the NZ Racing Board should immediately go into damage control. 

Instantly reveiw where their print spend is, including the Best Bets, the useless daily newspapers, take some customer advice and then redirect the money to where it’s most effective. 

I not for propping up inefficient businesses, but where it can be identified as the most cost efficient, then that’s where the money should be spent and spent before it’s too late. 

It’s my guess that The Informant would come out on top. 

If they don’t immediately respond whatever the outcome, I will crusade more than ever for change starting with John Allen and the farking useless Board. 

Liz

I couldn’t have said it better myself. 

Darryl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no need for hysterics.

Just the basics need doing different.

Let the Informant present the racing stories whilst have NZTR or NZRB funded journalist concentrate on commercial stories. Like background of the latest sponsor to come on board supporting racing. Or the pros and cons of paying high salaries.(Ok its only just past April Fools)

I'd be only too happy to tidy up a couple of my web sites and combine with the Informant but probably any sensible idea is dismissed without any consideration. Its the same with NZTR, NZRB , Informant etc  then  you have got to put up with social media icons telling you are a nutter. Very easy for most to leave the industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Insider said:

Quite simply the NZ Racing Board should immediately go into damage control. 

Instantly reveiw where their print spend is, including the Best Bets, the useless daily newspapers, take some customer advice and then redirect the money to where it’s most effective. 

I not for propping up inefficient businesses, but where it can be identified as the most cost efficient, then that’s where the money should be spent and spent before it’s too late. 

It’s my guess that The Informant would come out on top. 

If they don’t immediately respond whatever the outcome, I will crusade more than ever for change starting with John Allen and the farking useless Board. 

Liz

Liz, I  don't imagine they give a fuck to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The industry is generally seen as not being progressive and many brands are dramatically reducing their association with it. Plus racing is failing to promote itself heavily to the wider public."

This quote really does sum up the whole problem facing the industry. This latest event is purely a symptom. The Racing industry attracts virtually no mainstream sponsorship or advertising, and hasn't done for many years. If you look through all of our group races hardly any are sponsored by mainstream international organisations; most are just donations from kindly benefactors.

  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

"The industry is generally seen as not being progressive and many brands are dramatically reducing their association with it. Plus racing is failing to promote itself heavily to the wider public."

This quote really does sum up the whole problem facing the industry. This latest event is purely a symptom. The Racing industry attracts virtually no mainstream sponsorship or advertising, and hasn't done for many years. If you look through all of our group races hardly any are sponsored by mainstream international organisations; most are just donations from kindly benefactors.

  •  

So who are Barfoot and Thompson WD. They have  a real connect with racing, Yeah right.  Look at Awapuni last weekend Outside of the Oaks Stud, none of the others have an obvious connect with racing. In fact Ricoh has to be one of the tightest international companies on the planet and they sponsored a race. If you want to wallow in your own pity, do so elsewhere.

cheers

John

PS. The Informant is a real loss, but at the orchestration of another tosser under a previous regime called Martin something. he is now a consultant to.......yep the RB, but he was the guy who paid overs to get the Best Bets masthead from News Media and shut down any support for the Informant from that day forward. The dollars he paid are in the balance sheet of that year and were a ludicrous amount for a failed publication.

Perhaps Winston could ask Shane “the man” Jones for some Provincial Growth Fund support to underwrite the Informant until the new Racing Act is passed through Parliament!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, poundforpound said:

I hate to say it again.....but I warned you all.....and you said I was hysterical, a stirrer, and alarmist.......FFS.....this is only the end of the beginning.....get ready for the beginning of the end.....

I always had you pegged as an optimist! We're nearer the end of the end aren't we? (sadly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Berri said:

If I were to underwrite any financial support that might be required (not sure if this is any), what sort of support would there be to crowd fund the resurrection of the Informant? I'm actually being very serious. 

I hope you're not being serious. 1. It's (was) a publication and 2. All you need to do is see how fast turnover on NZ racing is dropping at the TAB to see it is not something anyone would want to invest in. imo anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The writing has been on the wall for sometime, I'm surprised it has lasted this long. Spoke to Dennis Ryan a year ago and he was very forthright and straight basically saying the TAB wanted the Informant to fail, so their Best Bets can provide us with 3 days of racing coverage a week for 2 codes only.

At least The Informant gave the greyhound code something, now they have nothing. And the other 2 codes aren't much better off.

Personally I'm sick of all the BS, and if anyone thinks Winstone or the Government gives a shit about racing in NZ you are living in a world of make believe, fairytales, and goblins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2019 at 10:21 PM, John Clydesdale said:

PS. The Informant is a real loss, but at the orchestration of another tosser under a previous regime called Martin something. he is now a consultant to.......yep the RB, but he was the guy who paid overs to get the Best Bets masthead from News Media and shut down any support for the Informant from that day forward. The dollars he paid are in the balance sheet of that year and were a ludicrous amount for a failed publication.

Perhaps Winston could ask Shane “the man” Jones for some Provincial Growth Fund support to underwrite the Informant until the new Racing Act is passed through Parliament!

John,

There is probably a greater market  for a publication now than twenty years ago. No need for the Form supplement thats for online or Best Bets with limited shelf live. Also I can't see how courier services could be profitable. 

Instead a $2.00 publication (1 week shelf life) on cheaper paper jammed packed with advertisements and a betting form insert that would allow betting by scanning the document onto to mobile phone, checking its correct and pressing the send button. No need for $50M TAB website just a publication. AS well Qrcodes or whatever allowing direct scan to reach racing form web sites.

A $2.00 publication including sports would garner a 30,000 circulation so attractive to advertisers. The $2.00 would be kept entirely by retailer if the retailer provided ample signage.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2019 at 10:21 PM, John Clydesdale said:

So who are Barfoot and Thompson WD. They have  a real connect with racing, Yeah right.  Look at Awapuni last weekend Outside of the Oaks Stud, none of the others have an obvious connect with racing. In fact Ricoh has to be one of the tightest international companies on the planet and they sponsored a race. If you want to wallow in your own pity, do so elsewhere.

cheers

John

PS. The Informant is a real loss, but at the orchestration of another tosser under a previous regime called Martin something. he is now a consultant to.......yep the RB, but he was the guy who paid overs to get the Best Bets masthead from News Media and shut down any support for the Informant from that day forward. The dollars he paid are in the balance sheet of that year and were a ludicrous amount for a failed publication.

Perhaps Winston could ask Shane “the man” Jones for some Provincial Growth Fund support to underwrite the Informant until the new Racing Act is passed through Parliament!

That would be Saunders....another Pom failure who was part of the Bayliss "dream team".....:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2019 at 8:33 PM, slam dunk said:

There is no need for hysterics.

Just the basics need doing different.

Let the Informant present the racing stories whilst have NZTR or NZRB funded journalist concentrate on commercial stories. Like background of the latest sponsor to come on board supporting racing. Or the pros and cons of paying high salaries.(Ok its only just past April Fools)

I'd be only too happy to tidy up a couple of my web sites and combine with the Informant but probably any sensible idea is dismissed without any consideration. Its the same with NZTR, NZRB , Informant etc  then  you have got to put up with social media icons telling you are a nutter. Very easy for most to leave the industry.

You have to wonder though SD if the questions being asked, and the less than favourable comments being made ( re Messara and Co ) played some part in all this.....Allen and Co don't seem to like close scrutiny while they peddle their version of how great things are...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

You have to wonder though SD if the questions being asked, and the less than favourable comments being made ( re Messara and Co ) played some part in all this.....Allen and Co don't seem to like close scrutiny while they peddle their version of how great things are...

You are probably 100% correct BUT the industry is bigger than the individual and always will be, so their time is limited. 

My prediction... Hughes and Allen will be gone and The Informant will be back! (Unfortunately we may have to give it 6 months to unfold, but it will)

What are the odds? 

Who wants to take me on?

Liz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, scooby3051 said:

 

Mmmmm......so The Informant gives Brian de Lore a platform to launch relentless attacks against the NZRB executive team....ostensibly on behalf of Messara and some individuals at NZTR, and meantime the NZRB / TAB agencies offer free retail facilities to sell The Informant over the counter..... Pitty, what would you ( not ) do if you had a relentless enemy launching attack after attack on you, often riddled with disinformation or mischevious chicanery .....would you bail them out ? Would yo write them a cheque and say “here we go, I’ll help you urvive so you can attack me some more”

The Informant turned toxic when it gave de Lore an unbridled platform to attack one entity ( NZRB ) but protect another ( NZTR ).

How about you blame the right people for the unfortunate demise of this paper, or for creating an environment whereby the NZRB had no appetite to save it.....your mates in PETONE and the ranter de Lore orchestrated this .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NZRB's half yearly report to January 2019 notes that the pokies contributed $636,000 for the 6 months to "reimburse certain race form publication expenses" an increase from the $560,000 funded from the same source for the same 6 months last year.

The total cost incurred by the NZRB for the 6 months for race form publication expenses remained steady at $1.1m

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 3:36 AM, Ohokaman said:

That would be Saunders....another Pom failure who was part of the Bayliss "dream team".....:rolleyes:

Yep. The mastermind behind "popular" bet types Place Six and Triple Trio. Obviously a genius which is why the NZRB (right Midget?) secured his valuable services as a "consultant" after his departure. Well done team, obviously need to do all we can to keep winners like him in the team! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Dear subscriber,

Early last week a difficult decision was made to cease publishing The Informant. This included both our print and digital editorial as well as our form guide content.

As many of our subscribers would have read in our pages each week things need to change for our racing industry to survive as evidenced by the Messara report. Unfortunately, like for many others in the industry, that change isn’t coming fast enough.

The response however to our decision has been nothing short of a groundswell with stakeholders at all levels offering their support and belief that we as a publisher still very much have a place in the industry.

As such we are currently working through our options and are optimistic that an industry backed solution can be found.

We ask our subscribers for their patience at this time and will communicate further changes in the short term.

Regards,

Matthew Francis

Racing Media NZ


theinformant.co.nz?data=b2lkPTM1MDc4JmVpZD0xMTc2NjUmdXNlcl9lbWFpbD1zdGVsbGFycGFya0B4dHJhLmNvLm56JnVzZXJfaWQ9Njk5Nw%3D&fuepx=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Ted I am confident that The Informant can be revived. It has always been a must read publication..

Indeed Gubes. I believe things are happening in order to get things up and running again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 8:58 PM, rdytdy said:

Indeed Gubes. I believe things are happening in order to get things up and running again. 

Yes, I'll continue to buy a copy at least once most years. It's redundant isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now