poundforpound

The Informant Chutneyed

57 posts in this topic

NZRB and the TAB hold your heads in shame.Heard Dennis Ryan on Trackside and he rightfully didn't hold back

The board of NZRB in my opinion should be sacked forthwith. 

The Informant had zero financial assistance from NZTR and yet they produced the fields every week and wrote supporting articles to assist turnover,beggars belief how this has unfolded

Same Sh**e, different year but same month that the good ole Friday Flash racing publication went under.

That to was a preventable situation and should never ever have gone belly up either.

Those who were responsible for both publications folding should hang there heads in shame.

There's always people in the background and there families & friends who are impacted on with the snowball effect.

Bring back The Friday Flash !!

Courier companies & some within Retail industries have much to be desired for not putting these publications on display stands until a day after they have arrived in store.

Those who contributed to the demise of The Friday Flash back in the day should be ashamed of themselves for wrecking the Racing fraternity in the way you have.

You know who you are and your behaviours are abhorrent.

Vale The Informant. This is a real kick in the guts for the very fine people at theinformant who work so hard to produce this publication every week. With five eighths of f##k all support from the very organization that benefits the most from it.

Racing Media NZ Ltd publisher of The Informant has today informed its staff that it will cease publishing effective immediately.

Over the past 2 years The Informant has shown substantial growth as the independent voice of the New Zealand racing industry. Print subscribers are up 100%, online subscribers up 30% and retail sales up 50%. These numbers are underpinned by a new look and a renewed focus on quality independent journalism that appeals to the passionate nature of racing stakeholders and followers. We are proud that we have contributed to a recognition that things need to change for our racing industry to survive as evidenced by the Messara report. Unfortunately, like for many others in the industry, that change isn’t coming fast enough.

The headwinds facing the publishing industry are well known and for us the growth in readership has not overcome the declines in our advertising revenue. This decline isn’t simply a mirror of the challenge occurring in other print mastheads but a direct reflection of the state of the New Zealand racing industry. There are less new farms, studs and stallions as evidenced by the challenge seen at our major sales and foal crop, while more and more young trainers are leaving New Zealand for Australia rather than starting to syndicate horses at home. The industry is generally seen as not being progressive and many brands are dramatically reducing their association with it. Plus racing is failing to promote itself heavily to the wider public. 8 years ago the TAB were a major advertiser with us. Now they spend next to nothing, yet our readers represent their most dedicated punters.

The Informant, like so many stakeholders who try to make a living in the industry but face a harder task each day, has continued to try to hang in there because of our absolute love of the sport. But we cannot any longer.

We hope all stakeholders will continue to stand up and demand that those in power deliver on their promises for positive change, even though we can no longer lend our voice to this.

47 minutes ago, meomy said:

Same Sh**e, different year but same month that the good ole Friday Flash racing publication went under.

That to was a preventable situation and should never ever have gone belly up either.

Those who were responsible for both publications folding should hang there heads in shame.

There's always people in the background and there families & friends who are impacted on with the snowball effect.

Bring back The Friday Flash !!

Courier companies & some within Retail industries have much to be desired for not putting these publications on display stands until a day after they have arrived in store.

Those who contributed to the demise of The Friday Flash back in the day should be ashamed of themselves for wrecking the Racing fraternity in the way you have.

You know who you are and your behaviours are abhorrent.

I wonder how many board members and management of the TAB and NZRB would have even heard of the Friday Flash.

The suddenness of this does make me wonder one thing. We think of the Racing Industry as being in steady decline, partly because of changing times and partly because of gross mismanagement, but just like the Informant once it starts to go the industry could collapse quite quickly. It only needs 5 or 6 key trainers to give up/retire and things could happen quite fast.  The closing of numerous tracks will inevitably destroy the hard core heartland support base and precipitate quite a major collapse.  I know this has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, but it is worth considering how all the little things quickly add up and how quickly things can happen.

I have just spoken with Matthew F4ancis about this , it is a real disappointment, I will colate my thoughts and post , for what they are worth !

has there, or will there be a response from Dennis Ryan as to the reasons ? Would be good to know the facts before launching into someone 

2 minutes ago, DatoStar said:

I have just spoken with Matthew F4ancis about this , it is a real disappointment, I will colate my thoughts and post , for what they are worth !

has there, or will there be a response from Dennis Ryan as to the reasons ? Would be good to know the facts before launching into someone 

Refer above to the sixth post. 

If I were to underwrite any financial support that might be required (not sure if this is any), what sort of support would there be to crowd fund the resurrection of the Informant? I'm actually being very serious. 

1 minute ago, Berri said:

If I were to underwrite any financial support that might be required (not sure if this is any), what sort of support would there be to crowd fund the resurrection of the Informant? I'm actually being very serious. 

You might crowdfund the resurrection in the short term, but long term going by the announcement when all the subscriptions and readership is well up and they still can not survive this looks like a sinking ship.

Berri and MisterED

I think you would have talk to Dennis Ryan privately to gauge what the costs of continuing are, before going ahead with anything . It might also mean looking at the costs of various options.

My initial thoughts would be the same as MisterEds but I would love to be proved wrong.

2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

The suddenness of this does make me wonder one thing. We think of the Racing Industry as being in steady decline, partly because of changing times and partly because of gross mismanagement, but just like the Informant once it starts to go the industry could collapse quite quickly. It only needs 5 or 6 key trainers to give up/retire and things could happen quite fast.  The closing of numerous tracks will inevitably destroy the hard core heartland support base and precipitate quite a major collapse.  I know this has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, but it is worth considering how all the little things quickly add up and how quickly things can happen.

Thought exact same thing , it could go down real quick. No trade press now,  I really think you could be right. Racing here propped up by smoke and mirrors , doubling stakes and all that tosh. Every decent racing country has a trade press or like South China Morning Post has a big racing section . Paris Turf , Racing Post , DRF , good reads with no in the pockets journalists asking the patsy questions .

Dont worry guys we will still get the warm fuzzy rubbish online from Love Racing whomonly seem to have an interest in the top few trainers and syndicatiors. Plus Peter Early will also just interview the same 3 trainers every Saturday morning . Wasn’t long ago he would interview a smaller participant in the industry who had a leading chance on the day but I guess he’s been told to stop that buman interest .aspect .More state owned tripe about to be served .

28 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

The Racing Post in the uk is a daily publication with much more content and detail than the informant and retails for 1.50 GBP. So it is great value for money.  

It's a great read , I find I don't have time to read it all and always bring a few copies home to read on plane  , though saying that some tight arse people I know in UK moan about the price ,. Sheik Mohammed financed the start up. There used to be the Sporting Life as well. Old punters were Sporting Life readers , youngsters RP when it started. 

5 hours ago, meomy said:

That's certainly been the case at my local BP. I'd normally go over to pick up a copy Thursday lunchtime. It would never be on display at that point and they'd have to run out the back to get one for me. Checking on a Friday lunchtime, sometimes it would be on display, more often not. 

3 hours ago, poundforpound said:

I hate to say it again.....but I warned you all.....and you said I was hysterical, a stirrer, and alarmist.......FFS.....this is only the end of the beginning.....get ready for the beginning of the end.....

Is it worth tipping money into if it was revamped in some way to be more online and functional...or a bit of both print and more online???