RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
elbow

jnj'shorty' healey

vS yes LINDA JONES won the 1979 Wellington Derby on Holy Toledo for Levin Owner-Trainer Barbara Madsen. Barbara previously owned Rose Mellay who won the 1974 Auckland Cup trained by Errol Skelton and ridden by Bob Skelton.

6 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I am pretty sure that Northfleet was trained by Alan Jones and Linda used to ride it.

Dead right - Alan Jones had him. I just think he (Northfleet) spent time in the CD, maybe in his latter years. Just looked up what I could on the NZTR site about him, it only shows what I'm assuming is his last 30 starts between 1979 and 1981 and about  28 of them were in the CD. Like I said I thought Cyril had him at one part, in fact I'm sure he did. Unless I've gone totally crazy though I'm positive Noel Eales had him too. I do hope I'm right about the latter as I was apprenticed to "the Boss" (Noel) and I'm sure Northfleet was there, for a while at least. If I've got that wrong (which is very possible!) then I'm definitely at the brain fade age!! 

John Paddy Busuttin trained Northfleet for those 28 starts. He won two races with him. The Woodville Cup on the 15/11/80 ridden by K. Nightingale and the Topsy Stakes at Otaki on the 13/12/80 ridden by K. Robinson with Shivaree and Bill Skelton second and Schenley and David Walsh third. 

17 minutes ago, Hawke's Bay Lad said:

Dead right - Alan Jones had him. I just think he (Northfleet) spent time in the CD, maybe in his latter years. Just looked up what I could on the NZTR site about him, it only shows what I'm assuming is his last 30 starts between 1979 and 1981 and about  28 of them were in the CD. Like I said I thought Cyril had him at one part, in fact I'm sure he did. Unless I've gone totally crazy though I'm positive Noel Eales had him too. I do hope I'm right about the latter as I was apprenticed to "the Boss" (Noel) and I'm sure Northfleet was there, for a while at least. If I've got that wrong (which is very possible!) then I'm definitely at the brain fade age!! 

Hi there HB Lad - Northfleet was owned by Trentham butcher - Ron Cowell. According to Mrs vS never trained at Trentham though. Mrs vS also surprised that you went to college in Nelson as can remember your dad in the Bank in the Hutt. Hope you guys are well.

4 minutes ago, gubellini said:

John Paddy Busuttin trained Northfleet for those 28 starts. He won two races with him. The Woodville Cup on the 15/11/80 ridden by K. Nightingale and the Topsy Stakes at Otaki on the 13/12/80 ridden by K. Robinson with Shivaree and Bill Skelton second and Schenley and David Walsh third. 

Well - there you go. I'd better not cancel that room I've booked at the rest home!!

1 minute ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Hi there HB Lad - Northfleet was owned by Trentham butcher - Ron Cowell. According to Mrs vS never trained at Trentham though. Mrs vS also surprised that you went to college in Nelson as can remember your dad in the Bank in the Hutt. Hope you guys are well.

Cheers for that, and yes - all good here thank you and I hope the same with you and Mrs vS. Dad's first Bank Manager's job was in Foxton, then to Richmond and then the Hutt. He passed away about 4 years ago, was still living in Upper Hutt.

Best

John

Chris yes Holy Smoke 2 was by Palestine the sire of the hugely successful Pakistan 2. Kazakstaan was one of the best bred sires ever imported. By the English Derby and St Leger winner Never Say Die out of the English Oaks winner and Champion European Filly in 1959 and 1960 Petite Etoile. Problem was he was very small and never raced and finished up at Balcarres Stud in Matamata.

On 4/2/2019 at 1:18 PM, elbow said:

shorty actually regarded so lovely as his first 'unoficial winner'' nelson 1965 i think ridden by brian anderton think he was under 21 at the time n his father bill was actual trainer best winner would have been killjoy who won the stewards hp also mr richmond, battle joy, the yapper, baccalaurus, wom pom etc

The good old days, remembering some of those horses and a few the old school trainers, tex kenalley, Ray Harris, Jim Lalor and Hellen Preston to name a few of my favorites, be many more I have forgotten, certainly enjoyed those days.

On 4/1/2019 at 3:30 PM, gubellini said:

John trained his first winner in rather bizarre circumstances. At the Nelson meeting on the 4/5/68 his horse Centaur ridden by Bill Beck won by a nose from Heffs ridden by Midge Didham. Following an inquiry Centaur was relegated to second for interference. At a later inquiry he was re- instated as the winner. 

I used to ride  Centaur off the track when my father trained it at New Plymouth. Had plenty speed actually led up a star studded Wellington Stakes field to the furlong. After winning at New Plymouth was sold to Nelson to the father of NZ cricket wicket keeper at the time.

Anyway the win at Nelson wasn't all that straight forward. The club judicial man who relegated Centaur was found to have a decent bet on the second horse hence the reinstatement.

Met John a few times at the races.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:04 PM, slam dunk said:

I used to ride  Centaur off the track when my father trained it at New Plymouth. Had plenty speed actually led up a star studded Wellington Stakes field to the furlong. After winning at New Plymouth was sold to Nelson to the father of NZ cricket wicket keeper at the time.

Anyway the win at Nelson wasn't all that straight forward. The club judicial man who relegated Centaur was found to have a decent bet on the second horse hence the reinstatement.

Met John a few times at the races.

Jock Edwards?

On 4/7/2019 at 5:14 AM, poundforpound said:

More likely Ken Wadsworth 

yes was ken wadsworth's father bob who had a few gallopers over the years also owned top pacer in the 70's in captain harcourt ,ken died young with testicular cancer i recall

On 4/8/2019 at 10:49 AM, elbow said:

yes was ken wadsworth's father bob who had a few gallopers over the years also owned top pacer in the 70's in captain harcourt ,ken died young with testicular cancer i recall

Yes. As soon as I posted I realised the 60's were a good ten years before Jock. Jock does like the geegee's though and his good mate Wayne Hodgson (fellow rep cricketer, golfer, and bowler) used to own a good one in Italian Saint.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:58 PM, Chris Wood said:

Two very average stallions, they come from anywhere the good ones!

Holy Smoke's only black type winner was Holy Toledo however Kazakstaan was a little more successful - Caulfield Cup winner Taksan and Rawson Stakes winner Minuetto among his 7 black type winners. Interestingly his 7 BT winners came from his first 3 crops - he never sired another in his remaining 8 crops.