RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
elbow

jnj'shorty' healey

1 minute ago, poundforpound said:

That’s a shame.

He was a really good dude with a delightful streak of naughtiness in him.

Old Father Time is slowly picking us off, one by one.

Rest easy Shorty 

your so right there leo ...specially your desription of him ...you rode for him many times back in the day

John trained his first winner in rather bizarre circumstances. At the Nelson meeting on the 4/5/68 his horse Centaur ridden by Bill Beck won by a nose from Heffs ridden by Midge Didham. Following an inquiry Centaur was relegated to second for interference. At a later inquiry he was re- instated as the winner. 

Remember the feats of the yapper, think he was placed in the Wellington cup, also a horse called William Leonard, which we seen had ability at the trials, took his time taking  him to the races, think he won his first start, and was later sold overseas, I always thought he was a good trainer from that era, very sad to hear of his passing. 

John trained The Yapper from 3 to 6 racing him 25 times for 4 wins. His first win was at Nelson on the 8/5/87 ridden by Ron McCann. From 7 he was trained by Robyn Todd at Opaki. He ran third in the 1992 Wellington Cup for her ridden by Brent Phillips. Castletown was first and Schnapps second.

So sorry to hear this. Shorty gave me my introduction to racing. Many many years ago I was a horse loving kid going to Waimea College in Richmond, got a job with Shorts one Xmas holidays as I wanted to earn some money to buy a double bridle for my show pony. Xmas came and went and so did the pony!!!! – I was hooked. I remember having my first ever gallop on a horse named after JNJ called Short Legs. He also had a pretty handy galloper at the time that was also appropriately named – Mr Richmond.

Lots of great times and memories have come from the opportunity Shorty gave to me, which I will be ever thankful for. RIP JNJ and love to the Healey family.

John McGifford

Great to hear many thought and memories  of his training era, can recall see William Leonard  go very well at the trials around Canterbury,  we decided we would have a good punt on him when he got to the races, was entered a few times before being scratched on the day, a friend  and I traveled to wingatui one day to see him have his first start, turned out he scratched that day to, eventually I think had his first start at Nelson or Canterbury, winning  well and paying 20s, had 2 more starts,winning another race,and was the sold to Macau, didn't ever hear how his racing went over there, someone may know, he was by turn the tide I think.

Shad William Leonard had his first start at Riccarton on the 3/3/89. Ridden by JC Baillie he won by 1.25 lengths from Endicott paying $33.90 and $8.80. His second start was at Riccarton on the 29/3/89. He ran fourth to Simba Lland. His third and last NZ start was at Nelson on the 17/4/89 when again ridden by JC Baillie he won from Waffles and Shane McCann and Trudeau and Chris Johnson. He was by Turn The Tide from Zudini a Pronto 2 mare. Raced by John and Mrs KW Baillie who I presume was his jockeys mother.

6 hours ago, gubellini said:

Shad William Leonard had his first start at Riccarton on the 3/3/89. Ridden by JC Baillie he won by 1.25 lengths from Endicott paying $33.90 and $8.80. His second start was at Riccarton on the 29/3/89. He ran fourth to Simba Lland. His third and last NZ start was at Nelson on the 17/4/89 when again ridden by JC Baillie he won from Waffles and Shane McCann and Trudeau and Chris Johnson. He was by Turn The Tide from Zudini a Pronto 2 mare. Raced by John and Mrs KW Baillie who I presume was his jockeys mother.

Cheers, was a few years ago, the old memory not as good as it once was, but this horse stuck in my head, as we waited  sometime for his race day debut, after seeing his trials. The div was worth waiting for, back then we never missed a trials meeting, no TV coverage of trials back then, surprising who many winners you would see.

11 hours ago, Hawke's Bay Lad said:

So sorry to hear this. Shorty gave me my introduction to racing. Many many years ago I was a horse loving kid going to Waimea College in Richmond, got a job with Shorts one Xmas holidays as I wanted to earn some money to buy a double bridle for my show pony. Xmas came and went and so did the pony!!!! – I was hooked. I remember having my first ever gallop on a horse named after JNJ called Short Legs. He also had a pretty handy galloper at the time that was also appropriately named – Mr Richmond.

Lots of great times and memories have come from the opportunity Shorty gave to me, which I will be ever thankful for. RIP JNJ and love to the Healey family.

John McGifford

Well said JMc. 

When I first arrived in Nelson I did what many people do and hunted out the local TAB and bar. Met a group of like minded guys and Shorty was one of them. Had his usual spot and a dry sense of humour. Pretty quiet guy but when he spoke you listened.

14 hours ago, nathanleslie said:

Hawke's Bay La

I Hope that Bridle wasnt for Kismet 

Yes I worked There Before School

Debbie

Ha ha ha - no it wasn't Kismet. A double bridle would have been way too flash for him. He was more the hackamore sort!! Had a grey pony called Ali Baba after Kismet, Ali was way more posh!

Also remember Shorty's Dad, pretty sure his name was Bill. He was at the stables most everyday, one thing that always stuck in my mind was he used to eat cold pies. And Cyril Pfefferle was at Richmond in those days too, before he went to Trentham and had the likes of Fountaincourt, and Northfleet too I think (?).

Good days and memories 

1 hour ago, Hawke's Bay Lad said:

Ha ha ha - no it wasn't Kismet. A double bridle would have been way too flash for him. He was more the hackamore sort!! Had a grey pony called Ali Baba after Kismet, Ali was way more posh!

Also remember Shorty's Dad, pretty sure his name was Bill. He was at the stables most everyday, one thing that always stuck in my mind was he used to eat cold pies. And Cyril Pfefferle was at Richmond in those days too, before he went to Trentham and had the likes of Fountaincourt, and Northfleet too I think (?).

Good days and memories 

I am pretty sure that Northfleet was trained by Alan Jones and Linda used to ride it.

21 hours ago, gubellini said:

John trained his first winner in rather bizarre circumstances. At the Nelson meeting on the 4/5/68 his horse Centaur ridden by Bill Beck won by a nose from Heffs ridden by Midge Didham. Following an inquiry Centaur was relegated to second for interference. At a later inquiry he was re- instated as the winner. 

shorty actually regarded so lovely as his first 'unoficial winner'' nelson 1965 i think ridden by brian anderton think he was under 21 at the time n his father bill was actual trainer best winner would have been killjoy who won the stewards hp also mr richmond, battle joy, the yapper, baccalaurus, wom pom etc

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

I am pretty sure that Northfleet was trained by Alan Jones and Linda used to ride it.

I think Northfleet ran at Trentham and won paying about $7's...come in Gubellini :)

1 hour ago, gubellini said:

elbow correct. So Lovely won her maiden race at Nelson on the 8/5/65 ridden by Brian Anderton and Owner-Trained by Bill Healey.

Have to ask where you can find some of that old horse info from many years ago, I know some can be found on racing website, but that only goes back so far,  or maybe you have an impeccable memory.