RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Jape

Class Records at Addington over 520m

I don't know how many 520m races there have been at Addington since that "first" meeting in  late October 1997 but, at last, no class record over that distance is over 30 seconds.

The last of these to go was the CO and on Friday it was Spring Mechanic which set a new mark of 29.96 when winning by nearly 12 lengths. Owned by Geoff Bate and trained by Jean and Dave Fahey this greyhound shows any amount of potential and its progress is certain to be followed  very closely.

The old record of 30.02 was set by Opawa O'Grady back in December 2015.

Holy Moly that is amazing every grade record over 520m under 30 seconds.  

I would not have thought that would ever happen but shows how comprehensive and competitive racing in the South is. Nowhere in the North is this likely to ever happen

4 hours ago, GOM said:

Holy Moly that is amazing every grade record over 520m under 30 seconds.  

I would not have thought that would ever happen but shows how comprehensive and competitive racing in the South is. Nowhere in the North is this likely to ever happen

I doubt that any greyhound will come close to Winsome Ashley’s track record at Akl, not only broke 30 seconds but smashed it, 29.80 odd from memory! And it wasn’t a timing error or fluke because I’ve been told she did the exact time 2 weeks in a row! What a dog was.

I have seen a few dogs trial that in my time, although no one has really been able to do it race day. Plus I doubt the Auckland track will ever be that fast again

I do recall back in the early 2000 when the track first opened, there were a few dogs that ran 29.85-29.90, however the times were disregarded due to the staff screwing up the distance # of the track (I don't think the distance ever changed, just the # that was given due to wrong measurements). I do believe Auckland had electrical timing aswell.

Not taking anything away from winsome Ashley of course. She did win the Auckland cup by 7L

1 hour ago, Rules For Some said:

I have seen a few dogs trial that in my time, although no one has really been able to do it race day. Plus I doubt the Auckland track will ever be that fast again

I do recall back in the early 2000 when the track first opened, there were a few dogs that ran 29.85-29.90, however the times were disregarded due to the staff screwing up the distance # of the track (I don't think the distance ever changed, just the # that was given due to wrong measurements). I do believe Auckland had electrical timing aswell.

Not taking anything away from winsome Ashley of course. She did win the Auckland cup by 7L

Out of curiosity, do you no what the track record time was when Winsome Ashley broke it?

When Winsome Ashley set the C3 520m record at Addington on 30.11.07 she stopped the clock at 20.83 which was also a track record.

A February 2006 whelping by Hallucinate out of Winsome Dollars she was owned by the Pave The Way syndicate and trained by Jean and Dave Fahey.

In that remarkable 2007/2008 season Winsome Ashley won 4 Group 1 races and set 3 new track records.

Also remarkable was the fact that this outstanding bitch was not Greyhound Of The Year.  The points system in vogue meant that this honour went to the sprinter Pizza Girl.

6 hours ago, Jape said:

When Winsome Ashley set the C3 520m record at Addington on 30.11.07 she stopped the clock at 20.83 which was also a track record.

A February 2006 whelping by Hallucinate out of Winsome Dollars she was owned by the Pave The Way syndicate and trained by Jean and Dave Fahey.

In that remarkable 2007/2008 season Winsome Ashley won 4 Group 1 races and set 3 new track records.

Also remarkable was the fact that this outstanding bitch was not Greyhound Of The Year.  The points system in vogue meant that this honour went to the sprinter Pizza Girl.

How bad is that? unbelievable  , How did that system stay in place for so long/

2 hours ago, Craig Symes said:

https://www.grnz.co.nz/catch-the-action/5972/27559/result-detail.aspx

Overtime ran 29.86 {21st May 1999} over what was the 520m but was later remeasured to be the now 527m distance

Thanks for that link. Geez Overtime was obviously something very special, won by 17 lengths!! Hardcase to scroll through those results and see many trainers names that are still on track today. I recall being told that racing greyhounds is like an addiction  and once your hooked it’s all over, so very true. One would suggest that Overtime and Winsome Ashley ran basically identical times when the distance error is taken into account.

8 hours ago, Jape said:

I’m picking there’s a typo with the time you stated, 29.83 maybe? 20.83 over 520 would see the lure burst into a ball of flames halfway down the back straight!

Winsome Ashley was fast - very fast!

But not quite that fast. Well spotted, it should have been 29.83

I recall her as having an extra gear which she slipped into at about the 120-150m mark..  A two-length lead very quickly became 8 to 10 lengths. And, of course, they were G1 races so there were some very handy dogs in behind, chasing a shadow.

Interestingly, when they did a doco on the Faheys 18 months or so ago, Jean very definitely stated that Ashley was her utmost favourite. For her nature, as much as for her ability.

PS Re the GOTY. If memory serves me correctly, the points system got the go-bye after the Pizza Girl/Winsome Ashley bizzo.