poundforpound

NZTR in state of “deep contemplation” for the last ten years

34 posts in this topic

NZTR and RA to work together says Dr Alan.....

What a joke, they have not been able to work with any NZ bodies let alone going offshore.

We need to get through the MAC and RITA scenario first as the landscape as we know it could change dramatically.

Just now, Patiti said:

NZTR and RA to work together says Dr Alan.....

What a joke, they have not been able to work with any NZ bodies let alone going offshore.

We need to get through the MAC and RITA scenario first as the landscape as we know it could change dramatically.

Captain of Titanic decides to work collaboratively with polar bears waiting on icebergs.......

On 3/25/2019 at 6:49 PM, poundforpound said:

Well it appears Winnie doesn’t fall asleep, he just enters a state of “deep contemplation”.......and maybe that’s what’s happened at NZTR these last few years.

Is it normal to snore and wet your pants while in “deep contemplation” :) 

Winston Peters in a state of 'deep contemplation' during a meeting with top Islamic officials - NZ Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12216158

288A50DC-2928-4049-9CC3-473D9C8D24A6.jpeg

If he's not fast asleep I'll suck a red one 

Well it appears Winnie doesn’t fall asleep, he just enters a state of “deep contemplation”.......and maybe that’s what’s happened at NZTR these last few years.

Winston Peters in a state of 'deep contemplation' during a meeting with top Islamic officials - NZ Herald

17 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

More wasted money for nothing.....

Closer Ties Between RA And NZTR

Racing Australia and New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing have signalled a closer working relationship between the two bodies for the benefit of racing participants. 

Racing Australia and NZTR representatives met recently to discuss how a more collaborative approach might benefit both organisations.

The meeting was attended by the chairs of both NZTR and RA along with the CEOs of both organisations and other directors and senior management.

Among the issues discussed were the potential for technology sharing opportunities, co-operation around the Rules of Racing; a coordinated approach to the development of staying races; and opportunities for shared services.

“The meeting was a first step in a collaborative approach on issues relating to improving thoroughbred racing across both countries,” said NZTR chairman Alan Jackson.

“We all now participate in a global sport and entertainment market place and sharing systems and initiatives with the one objective of improving owner and punter experience in thoroughbred racing is vital.”

RA chair Frances Nelson said Racing Australia welcomed the discussions.

“Even before Phar Lap, New Zealand and Australia shared a passion for racing.

“We look forward to working strategically with NZTR in pursuing initiatives to develop a robust staying program for the region and our industry participants.

“It makes sense to work together and seize the resultant opportunities to try and ensure an exciting future for New Zealand and Australian racing participants.”

This is not the first opportunity that Racing Australia (formerly the Australian Racing Board - ARB) has welcomed the opportunity to assist / meet with NZTR on industry opportunities.

In 2000 Australia brought in a GST tax regime. The ARB restructured the Australian Rules of Racing so that there was one central pool of stakes via the racing clubs which created three separate pools of prizemoney for owners (85%), jockeys (5%) and trainers (10%). As a result there was a quantified savings of GST for hobbyist owners of A$7 million in the 2000/2001 racing season.

I was the ARB's principal GST advisor and I worked closely with Andrew Harding (ARB CEO) and Bob Charley (ARB Chair) on this opportunity etc. I brought this proposition back home, made contact with Alan Jones (then a NZTR Board member) and he presented my paper to a NZTR board meeting. The estimated GST savings for unregistered owners would have been over $500K in the 1999/2000 racing year. I subsequently gave presentations to NZTR/HRNZ management on the Australian GST regime and its implications for NZ and also strongly advocated for the prizemoney pool rule change.

Andrew Harding was very willing to assist NZTR / HRNZ with this rule change but it fell upon deaf ears at both bodies. I regularly advocated for this rule change with a succession of NZTR Chairmen.

In 2011 Malcom Holmes became NZTR CEO and as he was previously CEO of the Brisbane Turf Club he was familiar with the Australian prizemoney distribution pools and couldn't understand why NZ did not follow the same system. He made contact with me and resurrected the discussion which has resulted in new rules coming into effect in 2016. The industry owes Malcolm Holmes and subsequently director - Greg McCarthy a big thank you for following this through.

The ARB leaders were ready and available to visit / meet with NZTR to advance this opportunity.

In 2003 I attended the Australian Racing Hall of Fame event in Adelaide and subsequently was instrumental with Gerald Fell in setting up the very successful NZ Racing Hall of Fame organisation which has held some wonderful events. The ARB and Andrew Harding were very helpful in assisting us to set up NZRHF sharing their material etc. In fact Andrew Harding now CEO of the Asian racing Conference  invited the NZRHF to give a key note presentation to the 2014 Conference in Hong Kong. There are very few occasions when NZ racing is invited to give some presentations to such an international forum.

So I applaud the NZTR / Racing Australia initiative but also wonder what might have been if the earlier invitations from the ARB had been taken up.

19 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

More wasted money for nothing.....

Closer Ties Between RA And NZTR

Racing Australia and New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing have signalled a closer working relationship between the two bodies for the benefit of racing participants. 

Racing Australia and NZTR representatives met recently to discuss how a more collaborative approach might benefit both organisations.

The meeting was attended by the chairs of both NZTR and RA along with the CEOs of both organisations and other directors and senior management.

Among the issues discussed were the potential for technology sharing opportunities, co-operation around the Rules of Racing; a coordinated approach to the development of staying races; and opportunities for shared services.

“The meeting was a first step in a collaborative approach on issues relating to improving thoroughbred racing across both countries,” said NZTR chairman Alan Jackson.

“We all now participate in a global sport and entertainment market place and sharing systems and initiatives with the one objective of improving owner and punter experience in thoroughbred racing is vital.”

RA chair Frances Nelson said Racing Australia welcomed the discussions.

“Even before Phar Lap, New Zealand and Australia shared a passion for racing.

“We look forward to working strategically with NZTR in pursuing initiatives to develop a robust staying program for the region and our industry participants.

“It makes sense to work together and seize the resultant opportunities to try and ensure an exciting future for New Zealand and Australian racing participants.”

Here it is....the start of becoming a racing state of Australia.

" The meeting was attended by the chairs of both NZTR and RA along with the CEOs of both organisations and other directors and senior management."