poundforpound

NZTR in state of “deep contemplation” for the last ten years

34 posts in this topic

Well it appears Winnie doesn’t fall asleep, he just enters a state of “deep contemplation”.......and maybe that’s what’s happened at NZTR these last few years.

Is it normal to snore and wet your pants while in “deep contemplation” :) 

 

Winston Peters in a state of 'deep contemplation' during a meeting with top Islamic officials - NZ Herald


https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12216158

288A50DC-2928-4049-9CC3-473D9C8D24A6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad really, promised the world and has delivered nothing!

The Racing vote possibly put him in for another term, and as soon as he became deputy dog and got the other portfolio, we were put on the back burner.

Just when we thought our previous racing ministers were bad......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite the fact that I have NEVER trusted - or valued- the contribution of Winston  [ nor can anyone condone his display in Turkey ]  he has, with the Messara report and all the kerfuffle attaching to that,  got the MAC group to do their report.

That advice will get Cabinet attention,  and such action as is decreed appropriate along with input from the DIA.

Like it or not, we don't have any other valid option,  NZTR keeps on dropping the ball and TB turnover is through the floorboards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WRP will use his leverage over the Labour Party to extract funding for at least two AW tracks, maybe three tracks largely from Shane Jones RDF......but that’ll solve nothing because the need for AW tracks is but a small part of our problems.

Meantime the NZF Labour coalition will break down ( it always does with WRP ) because NZF In unelectable if it’s perceived to be committed to Labour.....then the ever strengthening Labour Green axis will prevail at the next elections next November, and they won’t need NZF ( presuming NZF even reach the MMP threshold ) and so we’ll be left on our own again, then when the Nats get back in, they always do, we’ll be even more marginalised as an industry.

You'll have your AW tracks, but you’ll be fucked because you have no leadership, no vision, no functioning plans....and a system of administration that’s so corrupted and inept that it couldn't and won’t work under any circumstance 

Here’s your very appropriate analogy.

The industry is an alcoholic.

NZTR is a brewery.

The regional clubs are home brewers 

Winston is a bottle of whiskey.

The Trainers Association is a bottle of very low alcohol beer, and a box of donuts 

Enjoy the gutter and sleeping under a bridge in a wet sleeping bag racing industry..........and guess what......sadly the worst is yet to come  

Yes I’m being a bit dramatic but that’s how it looks to me and I’m usually correct

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

 

Here’s your very appropriate analogy.

The industry is an alcoholic.

NZTR is a brewery.

The regional clubs are home brewers 

Winston is a bottle of whiskey.

The Trainers Association is a bottle of very low alcohol beer, and a box of donuts 

Enjoy the gutter and sleeping under a bridge in a wet sleeping bag racing industry..........and guess what......sadly the worst is yet to come  

Yes I’m being a bit dramatic but that’s how it looks to me and I’m usually correct

 

Where does Chardonnay fit into the analogy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The entire industry needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up.

Not in any particular order but ;

Clubs have to be rationalised but on their terms, and that’ll mean creating completely new entities.

We desperately need R&D, IP development and education facilities for the collective industry.

We need a welfare protocol to protect the interests of licensees throughout their careers and arguably afterwards.

Administrative bodies need to be reorganised, appointment processes reconfigured, NZTR has to go or be radically overhauled, as does the TA and the corrupt Members Council

Licencees must be given a voice.

The current handicapping model must be done away with and a new relevant model introduced, with a focus on keeping horses racing as long as is reasonably possible, particularly older males..

The RIU has to be restructured, get rid of the thugs / ex cops ( not all are if that persuasion if that matters ) and get racing people back running that entity, at half the price with twice the empathy.

NZRB should be emasculated, in particular the media and gambling divisions, and the power therein should be delegated to the industry so that they always act in the industries interests.

Now there’s a good agenda, and twenty years works, let’s get started ........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

The entire industry needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up.

Not in any particular order but ;

Clubs have to be rationalised but on their terms, and that’ll mean creating completely new entities.

We desperately need R&D, IP development and education facilities for the collective industry.

We need a welfare protocol to protect the interests of licensees throughout their careers and arguably afterwards.

Administrative bodies need to be reorganised, appointment processes reconfigured, NZTR has to go or be radically overhauled, as does the TA and the corrupt Members Council

Licencees must be given a voice.

The current handicapping model must be done away with and a new relevant model introduced, with a focus on keeping horses racing as long as is reasonably possible, particularly older males..

The RIU has to be restructured, get rid of the thugs / ex cops ( not all are if that persuasion if that matters ) and get racing people back running that entity, at half the price with twice the empathy.

NZRB should be emasculated, in particular the media and gambling divisions, and the power therein should be delegated to the industry so that they always act in the industries interests.

Now there’s a good agenda, and twenty years works, let’s get started ........

 

Upon waking from his slumber,Winnie read the above and said"'Lets do this"".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Upon waking from his slumber,Winnie read the above and said"'Lets do this"".

Surely you mean WRP awoke from a coma and said “ giv’us a disprin and a large one, double double, on the rocks, plus a pottle of Brylcreem, a full length mirror, and 20 Rothmans “

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be a lot of people against “track closures”. I’m not sure why? Golf Clubs merge and benefit greatly as do the members of merged Clubs. The National at Victoria’s Cape Schank is a prime example. It bought a “heavily in debt” Club, absorbed their membership and invested in that Club to improve the course (Long Island). As for Race Clubs, the most successful Race Club in Qld is Tattersalls Racing Club. It has a 152 year history, hosts the richest G1 race for Fillies & Mares (The Tatts Tiara) and conducts 4 Race meetings per year and is profitable. Guess what? It doesn’t have a race track! It rents the Doomben and Eagle Farm courses at a rental agreed incl it’s staff for race days. Why can’t that model work in NZ and with merged Clubs could become stronger. How much would the Trentham land be worth as a residential or light commercial development site? Why couldn’t they merge with say, Otaki, and build a new facility there? Just an example. Riccarton land must be worth a lot? Anyway, there’s too much talk and not enough “action” in NZ racing imho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Trump said:

There seems to be a lot of people against “track closures”. I’m not sure why? Golf Clubs merge and benefit greatly as do the members of merged Clubs. 

You close the track and lose the face of racing to the local people. Yes you will still get the die hard racing fan that will continue to stay on the committee and go with the club to there race day at the nearest racecourse but you lose all the others that are the take it or leave it sorts. Now more than ever we can not be taking the racing away from the people because they will not go when there are so many other forms of entrainment locally. 

I just look at our club here in Masterton, we had our meeting on Sunday and honestly not one person I had talked to locally (apart from those involved in racing) during the week knew we were racing or that there was a difference between Masterton and Wairarapa racing club. 

I would certainly be interested to know the number of members 32 years ago that I think we last raced at Opaki compared to today because I know there isn't a huge amount.  People are amazed when I say I train a few horses at Opaki racecourse, older people are like wow that place is still going and the younger people I have to explain where the track is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

You close the track and lose the face of racing to the local people. Yes you will still get the die hard racing fan that will continue to stay on the committee and go with the club to there race day at the nearest racecourse but you lose all the others that are the take it or leave it sorts. Now more than ever we can not be taking the racing away from the people because they will not go when there are so many other forms of entrainment locally. 

I just look at our club here in Masterton, we had our meeting on Sunday and honestly not one person I had talked to locally (apart from those involved in racing) during the week knew we were racing or that there was a difference between Masterton and Wairarapa racing club. 

I would certainly be interested to know the number of members 32 years ago that I think we last raced at Opaki compared to today because I know there isn't a huge amount.  People are amazed when I say I train a few horses at Opaki racecourse, older people are like wow that place is still going and the younger people I have to explain where the track is. 

I attended Opaki many times, one of the longest straights in NZ, but quite a front runners track. Our Boyfriend liked it. I can recall backing Bond Street. Always bloody cold there though. You are correct, Racing dies when the local club closes. Nelson and Westport certainly don't race anywhere else these days, and never did, except for one Nelson meeting at Avondale, and that is a bit far to go on a permanent basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Times have changed. Racing in NZ is dead. Ask Chris Wood. Feilding stopped racing at Feilding but the Club still operates from Awapuni doesn’t it. Racing wouldn’t survive trying to support tracks in Feilding, Martin, Wanganui, Foxton and Levin, Ashurst etc, all about 30 mins of each other. Ridiculous. But tracks are just one small but important part of the equation. We all know the rest - it’s been thrown around Racecafe for years and years. It’s not until a V’Landys comes along that change will come - but he wouldn’t work in NZ - he’s an Aussie :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Trump said:

Times have changed. Racing in NZ is dead. Ask Chris Wood. Feilding stopped racing at Feilding but the Club still operates from Awapuni doesn’t it. Racing wouldn’t survive trying to support tracks in Feilding, Martin, Wanganui, Foxton and Levin, Ashurst etc, all about 30 mins of each other. Ridiculous. But tracks are just one small but important part of the equation. We all know the rest - it’s been thrown around Racecafe for years and years. It’s not until a V’Landys comes along that change will come - but he wouldn’t work in NZ - he’s an Aussie :) 

I wouldn’t go bragging about him being an Aussie think we have had off them for the time being .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to NZTR contemplating deeply while at the wheel.

So if you waste every cent you ever earn on stakes......where within the industry are you failing to deliver and what are the consequences ?

Then the feeble NZTR explanation is “but we need to focus on stakes to encourage owners and increase horse numbers”.....but that’s an ignorant lie because after the huge (wasted) Fairtax windfall owner participation and horse numbers / race field numbers, didn’t increase by one percent......not one fucking percent.....

And to compound matters the NZTR ignorami continue to drive a handicapping model that forces our most valuable assets, the horses, particularly the older male horses, out of the game ........

Is there a better example of the turgid thinking of NZTR, an example that exposes their intellectual limitations more.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More wasted money for nothing.....

Closer Ties Between RA And NZTR

Racing Australia and New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing have signalled a closer working relationship between the two bodies for the benefit of racing participants. 

Racing Australia and NZTR representatives met recently to discuss how a more collaborative approach might benefit both organisations.

The meeting was attended by the chairs of both NZTR and RA along with the CEOs of both organisations and other directors and senior management.

 

Among the issues discussed were the potential for technology sharing opportunities, co-operation around the Rules of Racing; a coordinated approach to the development of staying races; and opportunities for shared services.

“The meeting was a first step in a collaborative approach on issues relating to improving thoroughbred racing across both countries,” said NZTR chairman Alan Jackson.

“We all now participate in a global sport and entertainment market place and sharing systems and initiatives with the one objective of improving owner and punter experience in thoroughbred racing is vital.”

RA chair Frances Nelson said Racing Australia welcomed the discussions.

“Even before Phar Lap, New Zealand and Australia shared a passion for racing.

“We look forward to working strategically with NZTR in pursuing initiatives to develop a robust staying program for the region and our industry participants.

“It makes sense to work together and seize the resultant opportunities to try and ensure an exciting future for New Zealand and Australian racing participants.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 11:00 AM, poundforpound said:

Surely you mean WRP awoke from a coma and said “ giv’us a disprin and a large one, double double, on the rocks, plus a pottle of Brylcreem, a full length mirror, and 20 Rothmans “

Your in fine form today Leo , must be your Birthday- Congrats and have a great day from the peps above Parnell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now