RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tim vince

Auckland trotting club is

1 hour ago, tim vince said:

Leading the way with stakemoney.u can criticize them for plenty of things but when a very average horse I have st Michel can earn 3400 for 2nd there is no reason not to have a horse. 

Seems to be a trickle of Southern Horses moving North .....as there should be !

Looking at the Hurricanes v Stormers rugby match on now rugby also suffering from spectators who will venture out for the real thing !

Keep working with the 'suits /breeders' on that handicapping Tim ,you'll get them listening eventually. Its gotta be like v like !

12 hours ago, tim vince said:

Leading the way with stakemoney.u can criticize them for plenty of things but when a very average horse I have st Michel can earn 3400 for 2nd there is no reason not to have a horse. 

Wasn't Mick G saying basically the same thing the other night . Good stakes give owners and trainers the confidence to keep horse running as opposed to selling them. Eventually the multiplier effect kicks in and Field sizes increase,

Greg

48 horses on the "Export" List for the past month.    There of course is the odd one gone to Aussie for a race and will return but still a lot that will be "pluggers" because they cannot make a quid here.    However, will that change with the increased stakes - I think not.    Once a plugger regardless of the amount of stakes on offer most will not be able to earn a living.    The same ones will win wont they.     In the North urgently needed - more stock which will create a demand for more racing.    As it is now they same horses race each week regardless and this takes away the chances for the pluggers to get stakes because it is the better horses that clean up whether the meeting is low stakes at Cambridge or higher stakes at Auckland.      And I can't see that Winnie the Poobah's plan of reducing the country meetings will help - in fact it will have the opposite effect.

Two things Tim. How are the new stakes been funded, even allowing for less races, and if the proverbial hits the fan re the buildings, what happens next?

Are the Board playing the long game or looking for short term glory?

Secondly, now that you're back in the tent ....

The money can only come from 2 places earnings or borrowing. I have no idea.if the proverbial hits the building I can only guess we stuffed.back in the tent.interesting.im sure I won't have a permanent bed nor want one. Haha. I like the dark side

Horses have been exported forever. Nothing wrong with that  if the money reinvested.with the current stakes there is no reason not to.will it be is the question.we export food 8f we get good prices then we grow more.same as horses.i don't know if we are growing enough that might be the problem.

the original argument I think still stands.average horse can earn decent money at the park.it mighty cover cost but it never has.personally I'm happy to race every week and sooner or later most horses will get a shot at the gold when they find a suitable race.dunno if you can ask anymore.

Horses have been exported forever. Nothing wrong with that  if the money reinvested.with the current stakes there is no reason not to.will it be is the question.we export food 8f we get good prices then we grow more.same as horses.i don't know if we are growing enough that might be the problem.

the original argument I think still stands.average horse can earn decent money at the park.it mighty cover cost but it never has.personally I'm happy to race every week and sooner or later most horses will get a shot at the gold when they find a suitable race.dunno if you can ask anymore.

You more willing than most Tim !

As we often discuss its rarely like v like with wide bands meaning many runners have little chance.No doubt horse numbers in the North are in decline and for some reason not as many as expected coming up from South Island.

Then North folk reluctant to race sometimes ,prefer to trial before horses residual value disappears with weak form cos not racing similar ability horses !

As a result fields are often small , betting down folk lose interest and the young drivers lack opportunities so drop out as well.

the problems escalate.

Young horses are left to 'mature' so even this late in season there are very few 2 yr old races...last weeks 2 yr old pace at Park had 4 x entries so race scrapped and horses added to maiden race with older horses where the females get the preferential best draws so more disappointment for owners.

Breeders wouldn't be involved in these preferential draws ... or would they ?

The 2 yr old trots....advertised as $10k races in the weeks prior suddenly attract small nominations and become either $2k or $5k non-tote races.

Understandable I guess but it wears the owners down slowly but surely.

I think the damage has been done over the ensuing years, and lay the blame completely at the feet of the racing board, with no vision and no long term viable plan to increase stakes and encourage people to breed a horse. I have mates that would rather buy a boat or jet ski and get their  fun that way , after you present the costs involved and returns once you present them to train a horse.

Less horses bred = smaller fields = less betting = lower turnover = less distributions = lower stakes.

To be fair the Auckland Trotting Club has tried hard to make its non-racing business sound enough to sustain stakes increases well into the future.

Unfortunately there has been various hiccups along the way so all the pieces of the puzzle have not come together as hoped and planned.

The lack of horses an obvious impediment to strengthen the racing side of the equation.

I think most know the problem but its workable solutions we are after. In business , you would stop the bleeding , stabilise the ship then progress matters. NZB Standardbred with their innovative ideas are a start but the breeders need to play their part as well. A complete revamp of the rating system would be a given in any solution package. Just my thoughts.

Agree Mr fart and Mr blackie.yellow taxi u don't know what u have till it gone.not withstanding the stake money on offer is outstanding.

Tim , a question for you . I see the JCA relieved you of a $ 100 the other night for some minor infringement Are such fines tax deductible, ive always want to know.?

Greg

3 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Tim , a question for you . I see the JCA relieved you of a $ 100 the other night for some minor infringement Are such fines tax deductible, ive always want to know.?

Greg

Haha......many horses have straw or wood shavings in their boxes to bed down  on,Tim's have crisp $100 notes !

Certainly being an owner in the North takes commitment. The 'open class' trot got canned last week at the Park with insufficient  noms (think 6 or 7) - didn't even hold open them open as did for other races. Makes it hard for those that did start off long marks in a big field to get any useful form to get into the group races coming up. Small consolation was dropping rating points. It's a bad state to be in when you dread your horse getting 5th. You get less money in the bank after paying percentages than getting last and don't lose any  points.