RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Dibbles

NZB Weanling, Broodmare & Mixed Sale

Interesting to see that the NZB May Sale is now down to 1 day (Friday 17 May). Sad to see this as it is just another thing pointing to how low the industry has got, in 2016 it was 3 days and then dropped to 2 days in 2017.      :rcf-sad-3:

Probably a combination of the Gavelhouse two weekly sales, and the vicious circle which has been affecting the racing industry - to a greater or lesser extent, for thirty years, ie stakes poor (and costs always increasing!), meaning less people interested in breeding or owning, meaning less horses racing, meaning less money being punted, meaning less money to improve stakes and on and on it goes.

It does seem a huge drop though, as although the Gavelhouse fees are cheap, being able to see a range of your prospective purchases in the flesh at one time would ensure better prices (in my view) for well conformed animals. It would be interesting to know who buys on Gavelhouse sight unseen??

23 minutes ago, Breeder said:

I think NZB own Gavelhouse now.

It obviously has some effect but in the medium term it could be good for the May Sale in that it could become a very "Select"/high quality sale.

I don't think this means more or better select/high quality mares just less low end mares at the NZB sale.

However I think there is more opportunity to buy a very good weanling filly on Gavelhouse at a cheap price. 

I agree with your point Nasrullah as it applies to the short term. This sale for years has been seen a bit of a "dumping ground". But if the bottom end of both the mares and weanlings are taken out then maybe it will over time be seen as a better sale and then we might see some genuine trading going on eg. people buying Australia specifically to resell at this sale. DaNn Myers has tried selling all his young stock as weanlings --maybe we will see others doing this on a more limited scale, so a better class on weanling is seen.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that over time the nature of the sale could change with vendors having different reasons to sell at it other than just "dumping" poor or unwanted stock as we have seen in the past. Time will tell

526 entries last year 240 this year that's a nightmare right there!! Last years sale was tough and my weanling was not there to be dumped. You can understand why many won't be back.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:42 PM, bazach said:

Probably a combination of the Gavelhouse two weekly sales, and the vicious circle which has been affecting the racing industry - to a greater or lesser extent, for thirty years, ie stakes poor (and costs always increasing!), meaning less people interested in breeding or owning, meaning less horses racing, meaning less money being punted, meaning less money to improve stakes and on and on it goes.

It does seem a huge drop though, as although the Gavelhouse fees are cheap, being able to see a range of your prospective purchases in the flesh at one time would ensure better prices (in my view) for well conformed animals. It would be interesting to know who buys on Gavelhouse sight unseen??

I’ve bought about a dozen of gavelhouse and Bloodstock auctions at a guess. All sight unseen. Bought a few tried horses that have had issues and a few nice untried horses . 

We've previously bought alot of lower priced broodmares, weanlings & other stock at the May Mixed sale. Have't been to Karaka to any sales for about 3 years now. Have done all our buying online - sight unseen, unless local & easily viewed. Has actually been far better. Have been able to contact vendors prior & find out more about the horses on offer. Anything with issues we've known what we were taking on, rather than at the sales - where in numerous cases - we found out after! Far more cost effective for both vendor & purchaser.

It is also interesting to look at the size of the monthly online Inglis sales. 300 + for the March sale. This has been growing quickly in the last 6 months or so. Australia has several other quite large online sale sites. Much larger horse population but it is clearly becoming an option that both vendors and buyers like.