RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Pegs Pride

Messages sent to breeders from the Sales

Of the 69 stallions represented at the Premier Sales only 5 were without a suffix e.g. (AUS) so I guess that means only 5 NZ stallions were represented in a catalogue of 503 yearlings.

we are just providing a nursery service for Australian-domiciled stallions. Also, many of the yearlings from N.Z.-based stallions are out of imported mares.

Historically, the norm for any N.Z.-bred horse is that 1 of its 8 great-grand-parents is actually bred here. Thus, 7/8 of its pedigree is foreign.

We just do not have much faith in our own blood-lines. However, it is significant that Phar Lap, Kindergarten/Golden Souvenir, Picaroon and Sunline all came from a N.Z. family (albeit originating with an imported mare).

Australian breeders are much better at developing local stallions, even from N.Z. sources - The Judge and General Nediym for example.

If we persist with this strategy, will we have to rely on a weak N.Z. dollar to entice buyers? Otherwise, they could get the same product at home.

we are just providing a nursery service for Australian-domiciled stallions. Also, many of the yearlings from N.Z.-based stallions are out of imported mares.

Historically, the norm for any N.Z.-bred horse is that 1 of its 8 great-grand-parents is actually bred here. Thus, 7/8 of its pedigree is foreign.

We just do not have much faith in our own blood-lines. However, it is significant that Phar Lap, Kindergarten/Golden Souvenir, Picaroon and Sunline all came from a N.Z. family (albeit originating with an imported mare).

Australian breeders are much better at developing local stallions, even from N.Z. sources - The Judge and General Nediym for example.

If we persist with this strategy, will we have to rely on a weak N.Z. dollar to entice buyers? Otherwise, they could get the same product at home.

Its not the %NZ in the horse...

Would you say that Zabeel is recognised as an NZ horse (hint: YES). By Sir Tristram (imported) by Sir Ivor his dam is Lady Giselle (a twin I think?) by Nureyev from Valderna by Val de Loir from Derna. Not very colonial is it - and quite frankly who cares...we'd take as many as we can get that will intice interest and genetically mix well with our incumbent genetics (or more and more in my case - type) here.

I think we rely on the history of performance of horses that come from NZ anywhere in the world.... isn't THAT what matters?