Rusty

Simon Lawson

45 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, thrillsnspills said:

In de de de olden din din days drivers would get 2nds and 3rds hold back till money was up for a win then go like hell to win tis the reason why they put a stop to it not rocket science  

Yep my uncle was very good mates with a leading  SI trainer / driver  and they always got together when he came up.   One time they couldn't meet up until after the first day when my uncle bet on this particular horse of his .  Trainer told him  on meeting up  day after  "    No, you didn't   !!  you should have waited until the second day and punted "   It was all " hands down "  the second day and it bolted in at large odds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr Spyro said:

Yep my uncle was very good mates with a leading  SI trainer / driver  and they always got together when he came up.   One time they couldn't meet up until after the first day when my uncle bet on this particular horse of his .  Trainer told him  on meeting up  day after  "    No, you didn't   !!  you should have waited until the second day and punted "   It was all " hands down "  the second day and it bolted in at large odds. 

Yep - race fixing has been going on for years.  

The difference nowadays is that it's a criminal offence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tim vince said:

I think it should be clear Simon Lawson didn't cheat.his horse was driven to its best.he did break the rules no doubt about that..

That's  like driving  the car in a bank robbery tim didn't  rob the bank so it's ok 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jon $5,000 fine.     No word yet of Gareth's fate but no doubt the heavy boot will be applied.     And no doubt they will want this saga finalised before the main show - if only to set a benchmark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Toblerone said:

Strong words for someone too chicken to put their name to it.

Very poorly written too.

JCA decision not on line yet but have been reliably informed that he has now been disqualified rather than suspended - taking effect as of Saturday 11 May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Toblerone said:

Strong words for someone too chicken to put their name to it.

Yes,but it's harnesslink , so what do you expect. 

Someone commits a serious breach of the rules, and harnesslink think those whose job it is to investigate and enforce the rules are the ones at fault..And according to them many owners,trainers and drivers agree with them. 

First impression reading stories like that ,and taking them on face value ,makes you wonder why anyone honest would want to be involved in harness racing.  Fortunately I know harnesslinks views are not a true reflection of most within the industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems harsh. Seem to remember a certain driver backing Smolda on fixed odds in NZ Cup.

A fine was all that was imposed. Struggle to see the difference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tim vince said:

I agree with harness link

Obviously you are happy to put your views on record. 

Can you enlighten me as to which decisions coming from the integrity unit have you disheartened and how the riu policing the rules,as is their job,is continuing to hurt all aspects of harness racing as described in the harnesslink article you agree with..

Some specifics would be helpful so as to understand your thinking. 

In my opinion ,high profile participants believe everything should be made to suit them, including discretion as to when and when not to apply the rules to them if they transgress. Do you have a comment on that view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, john legend said:

thanks Taku. A long read.Well done to the JCA. I wonder if they will revisit the part played by other industry participants. ?

 

Did you note fine reduced by $6,500 - maybe for Simon time out better than $$$

RIU are stuffing the sport and burning me off - all horses will be off to Aussie and mares shot . 

I don’t cheat but RIU are believing every word a disgruntled employee or failed broadcaster or a failed average trainer .

The best drivers get the best winners - And best trainers get the best results . Look at Steve McRae v’s Nyhan and look at the coat .

RIU wouldn’t know horse care / training = winning !

One bet and let’s kill the kid - bullshit !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LongOwner said:

Did you note fine reduced by $6,500 - maybe for Simon time out better than $$$

RIU are stuffing the sport and burning me off - all horses will be off to Aussie and mares shot . 

I don’t cheat but RIU are believing every word a disgruntled employee or failed broadcaster or a failed average trainer .

The best drivers get the best winners - And best trainers get the best results . Look at Steve McRae v’s Nyhan and look at the coat .

RIU wouldn’t know horse care / training = winning !

One bet and let’s kill the kid - bullshit !

I actually think you have a major psychological problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long owner, I too have trouble following your thread.  It was greed and flouting one of the most fundamental rules of racing. The conclusion after the hearing which I was amazed Mr Lawson did not attend(not good look) was to remove the $8000.00 fine and put an additional 2.5 years as a disqualification. however with the costs of the hearings it did add up to around $5000.00 .(similar to a fine ) Your thoughts that a person thats admitting to  a serious betting addiction has only ever acted in this way once and he got caught bigtime is naive to say the least. I wish him well for the future .As for you culling your mares ,because you disagree with the JCA doing their job now thats BS.Mr Lawson did come clean and wants to move on. lets hope you can do the same. (and I have done this myself having a 12 month "rest" away from racecourses some years ago)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, john legend said:

Long owner, I too have trouble following your thread.  It was greed and flouting one of the most fundamental rules of racing. The conclusion after the hearing which I was amazed Mr Lawson did not attend(not good look) was to remove the $8000.00 fine and put an additional 2.5 years as a disqualification. however with the costs of the hearings it did add up to around $5000.00 .(similar to a fine ) Your thoughts that a person thats admitting to  a serious betting addiction has only ever acted in this way once and he got caught bigtime is naive to say the least. I wish him well for the future .As for you culling your mares ,because you disagree with the JCA doing their job now thats BS.Mr Lawson did come clean and wants to move on. lets hope you can do the same. (and I have done this myself having a 12 month "rest" away from racecourses some years ago)

Wise words John but as the old saying goes "you can lead etc"

 

Greg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now